Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Newbie when it comes to audio/video setup...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Newbie when it comes to audio/video setup...

I don't know a lot about audio/video setups like which wires are which. What an amp would help do besides sort of echoing the speakers to make it sound better. I have some stereo setups I would like anyone reading this to look at. I want to know what other choices I have as far as speakers on the door? I want Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. I am probably getting Kicker's for the speakers behind the seat. My brother(s) know a lot about car audio and video, so they could help me out with whatever you guys say. I have seen Sony's Double DIN headunit that is only sold on weird sites, you have to email them I think to get it or find out information on it. My brother's both ordered from Crutchfield so I am probably going to order from them. But Crutchfield has a pretty limited amount of merchandise, although they are very helpful, has anyone with a Z ordered from here, and if you have, what was your experience with the customer service as far as knowing how to install everything in the Z? I like the Sony WX-7700MDX headunit, it looks good, but I heard the stations are differen't from American stations, they are different numbers. I like the Panasonic MXE CQ-HX1083U. I also like the Sony CDX-M850MP headunit. I am thinking either both of these, or the WX that takes up both spaces. I like these speakers: Kicker 02K65's and Rockford Fosgate HPC2206's. My oldest brother said he had Kicker speakers and Rockford Amp, he said that was an awesome combination and said that's what I should go with. He said the Fosgate's and Kicker's sound so good and so much alike, that if you couldn't see them, they would sound the same. I see a lot of different amps, there are 2-channel amps, multi-channel amps, mono subwoofer amps, equalizers, and crossovers. I assume I need to use 2-channel amps. So with the speakers I listed, he said to get the same wattage amp. Using the speakers I gave you, what size amp would I need? I like this one, because it looks good, I don't know if it performs well or not though :Rockford Fosgate Power 351S? I also like : The RF 401S, Sony XM-2165GTX, Sony XM-280GTX, MTX Thunder6152, MTX Thunder342, MTX Thunder502, Kicker KX400.2, and the Kicker KX300.2. So I have given you what you need, but like I said, my brother says I should go with Kicker speakers and RF amp. I want to have satelite radio(and a in-car pc later on). Should I go with XM satelite radio? I think it has the most channels, last I read over 100. So anyway, with the stuff I have given you, can some people make up a setup for me, like what headunit, speakers, and amp? I have not found any (except one poc) for the doors on Crutchfield. So if any of you have upgraded the front, can you tell me what you have (most likely if it is Kicker), and where and how much did you get it? I appreciate anyone's help, sorry for the long post...

Old 06-17-2003, 10:30 AM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whew.. that is alot to answer but here i will try to help....

I will be blunt about this...since you clearly dont have experience with audio/video equipment, you should do some heavy research before you buy. Jumping into a system without knowing anything about it will either
A)cost a ton of extra money,
B)sound like crap, or
C) both of these.

Do some browsing around the internet and visit a few audio shops asking questions (dont take your wallet!!!!)
Once you get a feel of how everything is supposed to go together, then start shopping for parts (speakers, amps, radio, etc..)

Check out this website for customer reviews of almost every component out there : www.sounddomain.com
Crutchfield is overpriced, but they have good return policies and customer service, so cost might be a trade off.

There are tons of speakers/amps/head units to choose from. The combination of compenents matter ALOT.
I have a Pioneer 8400 head unit. It sounds amazing when connected to external amps, but sounds like *** when running its own power.
As far as speakers go, I have always been partial to Infinity. Simply amazing sound quality. I dont know if i will every buy a different brand speaker after getting these. I have the infinity perfect 6.5" components all the way around and soon will have my perfect 12" subs mounted and ready to blast. (had this system in my other car before the Z.

Right now I only have the front speakers playing (until i swap out my amp for a 4 channel) and it is already louder/clearer than most systems that i have ever heard.

I am running JBL amps and am currently building a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure.

I think kicker and rockford have always been known for their RAW power, and not so much accurate sound reproduction. But that is what some people like. Your setup will depend on what you want....heart stopping power or beautiful music reproduction.

When buying speakers/amps, pay attention to the RMS power rating NOT the max/dynamic power rating. Also you want low THD (total harmonic distortion) and high sensitivity (more efficient)

You want an amp that puts out at least half of the rms rating of the speakers. My components speakers are rated at 150w RMS if my memory serves me right. My amp is running 90w x 2 RMS. But i am changing that to a 75w x 4 RMS amp.

hope this helps and if you have more specific questions please ask.

-josh
Old 06-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I will do some research as you suggested to figure out how the whole system work, just like engines I guess, you can't tune a engine properly if you can't even explain how it works. What do you think about what I listed? I am thinking the Sony and Panasonic headunits, Kicker speakers all the way around, Rockford Fosgate amps (wattage depending on speaker's RMS), and maybe a subwoofer in the back that can be unplugged and taken out easily if I need the room or going racing. Thanks for your help, I will definately go check out info about audio/video setups.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:39 AM
MonkeyBoy

I would suggest going to a stereo shop and listening to some more head units that the ones you listed. Listen to some Eclipse and Alpine units as well. Not much in appearance, but sound quality is great. The same thing should be said for your components, although if money was not an option, I would definitely suggest you spring for Diamond Audio components. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
I would suggest going to a stereo shop and listening to some more head units that the ones you listed. Listen to some Eclipse and Alpine units as well. Not much in appearance, but sound quality is great. The same thing should be said for your components, although if money was not an option, I would definitely suggest you spring for Diamond Audio components. Hope this helps.
We have a pretty big stereo shop around here (like 30 - 40min.'s) so I am going to check it out this week. I like Sony headunits b/c my brother had one, I like Panasonic because my brother's friend had one and it was cool. I want a black panel, no buttons, flip-out face. That's why I don't like Alpine, they have great headunits but I don't like having all of the buttons. I don't know much about Eclipse headunits so I doubt I will get one of them. Money is an option but I will spend about $300 - $400 for the headunit I want. I have narrowed it down to what I want to get, now what does everyone think about the choices?
Old 06-18-2003, 03:55 PM
toykilla

i dont really like sony head units although the harddrive one is pretty cool...panasonic is ok but not great either....alpine is top notch, but you will be paying for an name with an ugly face and tons of features that you will never use nor know how to use.

dont just buy something because that is all you are familiar with

do some research!!