Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Changing headunit with Stock Navi in place

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:22 AM
lauderdale75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing headunit with Stock Navi in place

I guess let me preface the following by saying that I did perform a search.

That said, I stopped by Sound Advice - a reputable electronics shop in Florida (and throughout the southeast) to inquire about modifying the existing radio (non-Bose) in my car. Basically they wanted to replace the speakers, add a subwoofer, etc, and also change the headunit. However, when we went out to the installer, he suggested that it would be difficult, if not impossible to change the headunit without possibly losing the Navi (not just the voice feedback, but the navi, entirely).

I wanted to know who, if anyone has changed his or her headunit while maintaining the stock Navi capabilities.

Also, the reason why he said it probably cannot be done is because he said there are many wires crossing by and between the navi and the back of the radio, so its likely that they share alot of components (??).

Thanks in advance for your comments. As always, your help is appreciated.

(PS - if anyone knows an installer in Central or South Florida that can work around these issues, please let me know).

With kind regards,
CK
Old 07-03-2003, 09:47 AM
tonkadog

You can replace the stock head unit with out losing stock NAV. I have done it as well as many others. With the new head unit, the voice on the NAV doesn't work, but there is a way around that. Do a search one 'onecoolee' - he has posted how to retain voice when adding a new headunit - actually here it is:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=NAV
Old 07-03-2003, 10:12 AM
lauderdale75

Thanks for the info and the link - apparently, my search skills are not nearly up to par with yours.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:14 AM
tonkadog

LOL - When I saw that one and saved it at home, so when I get some time, I can install it. It was just a matter of knowing where to search.

If you do this - take some step by step pics and post.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:04 PM
CaneZMD

Wow, I hate sound advice. Cocky and overpriced if you ask me.

If your in Ft. Lauderdale, check out Cartronics. I've delt with them for about 5 yrs or so. They're all pretty cool and they don't try to jack you for unnecessary expenses. (Unless you want the works, they can do that too if you want)

There is one on Pines and University. The manager/owner's name is lester. I think their website is www.cartronicsmiami.com. (It may be hyphenated.)
Old 07-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Stinger1

I went to an electronic store here in Dallas which I consider upscale. The store name is Tweeters. I don't know if you have them there or not. Anyway, I was told pretty much the same thing. They said with the Bose system nothing could be upgraded without disabling something else and that was with any component within the system.
They did say that the radio, speakers and navigation system would have to be ripped out and start over. I said I was not interested in throwing 2600.00 in upgrades out the window. They told me that it usually takes about 18 months before aftermarket fixes come out on newer units and suggested I wait until someone comes out with a fix or work around. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it pretty much confirms what you have already been told. I have talked with other installers and they have said there should be away around it, but they would have to get into it before they could let me know what was needed. I didn't want to supply my vehicle for their testing. I would rather keep the crappy Bose system the way it is than screw up the navigation system. I like the way it is designed. Unfortunately, I don't like the sound. You can install an aftermarket radio and hook up a speaker to the navi, but it won't be the same. Bose and Nissan are supposedly working on a fix for those who are not happy. Be sure to send an email to them voicing your dissatisfaction, so you will be included on any fix when it becomes available. Hope this helps.