Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeters in kick pnl, pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tweeters in kick pnl, pics.

OK, all thanks to Philty, who gave his time and effort to a forum member and is letting me share this.

Basically, find PCV pipe that fits your tweeter. Cut a hole in the kick, angle it the way you want (do it while the panel is installed so you know your clearance) Use apoxy resin to hold the PVC...he used a boat repair apoxy.

cover the pipe and area with cloth, T shirt like, and tack cloth with superglue.

It will look like a volcano, cover the area with your fiberglass resin (he will have to tell you what the heck kind)

Sand, bondo, bondo, sand...sand some more, bondo and sand.
Painting looked like crap, so don't bother with fine grit, just use course stuff and 250 paper at the end.

To cover with vinyl use "Headliner" spray glue. It can take the cars heat and holds twice as well as normal spray glue.
Heat the vinyl with a hair dryer, don't use a microwave or it melts and smokes.

Spray the glue on the top of the volcano(cover half the kick), put the vinyl down and spread it out from center to sides...once it is set, fold the side up that is unglued and spray the panel, than spread that vinyl down and out to the sides. The vinyl needs to be big enough to wrap around the edges of the kick, you will glue under the edges on the back.

once all set, cut the hole at the top of the volcano, once you have done a fair job cutting it away, use a dremel (from inside the PVC from the back side) to get it back down to bare PVC.

When you go to install it, there are a few cuts in the vinyl you will make to the trim tabs snap in.

In my case the tweeter fits the pipe tightly, but your result may vary, so try to get the right size or a bit small, so you can dremell the pipe to fit your tweeter.

That's it, good luck.

PS, I have no bondo pics, I had a little video of that panel with bondo but it's deleted. Just make sure you have smoother things enough to prevent creases from showing in the vinyl.

Also, my camera lens had pollen on it, hence the spots in the installed pics.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:56 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks kinda lumpy. But I like the concept...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Sean

Originally Posted by gothchick
Looks kinda lumpy. But I like the concept...
The flash shadows are harsh, it is much better in person.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
brick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those Dyn's? How you do you like them? What are you running them off of?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by brick
Are those Dyn's? How you do you like them? What are you running them off of?

They are the Dyn 242gt set, they are not as good as the 360 but I didn't want to lose the footrest in this car. They are much better than the MB Qs I had in there, but I need to change the crossover setting I think, I have them at +2 tweet and that seems a bit much, I will let Philthy help me out with the adjustments. The Dyns run off a JL amp, but if I had it to do over I would go DLS duel monoblock.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Sean that looks great. Did you have to cut up nazar's pods to get the dyns to fit?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
Sean that looks great. Did you have to cut up nazar's pods to get the dyns to fit?
there are 7's in the Nazars, so we used a mounting ring from the MB speaker to act as a spacer. the 6 1/2 inch ring fits in the pod hole and the 7 inch speaker screws through both.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by Sean
there are 7's in the Nazars, so we used a mounting ring from the MB speaker to act as a spacer. the 6 1/2 inch ring fits in the pod hole and the 7 inch speaker screws through both.

Have you considered sealing the pods? I ask because I bought a set of 360s on impulse and they are sitting under my bed collecting dust. I also have a set of pods that are collecting dust under my bed as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
cbr900son

Have you considered sealing the pods? I ask because I bought a set of 360s on impulse and they are sitting under my bed collecting dust. I also have a set of pods that are collecting dust under my bed as well.
I'm so gonna sneak in and rob everythign under ur bed.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Sean

The tweeter is sealed so it doesn't matter, the Nazar isn't, it gives the back of the mid-woofer somewhere to spill out.
There is weather stripping on an edge of the pods to help the fit be tight. There is sound deadener on the door beyond the stock speaker hole.

The 360's are fantastic, but you will lose your footrest to get the sound the best.