Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Full Kicker setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:07 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nyguy4u
Kicker WAS good. I wouldn't take Kicker for free now. Their quality went way down hill. You can get WAY better quality audio equipment for the same price as Kicker. For example, why would anyone pick Kicker over Alpine, or Kenwood?

But if your happy with your setup, thats all that matters. Good luck!

Very clean install BTW.. looks good.
Kenwood sucks sorry to tell you

Kicker is one of the BEST mainstream companies
Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 AM
nyguy4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your telling me that Kicker makes better products than Kenwood, and not even that.. but the BEST?

Ok, either your joking.. or you know absolutely nothing about car audio.. or your still stuck in the mid 90's when Kicker WAS ONE of the best.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
my two bits:

1. Kicker, like many companies today, IMO dont make solid of gear as before, the old ZR ZX amplifiers were beasts, super underrated, and given enough current, can really put out some serious power. today's kicker, IMO, is more run of hte mill stuff, decent, but really nothing to stand out from the crowd. Kicker speakers, on the other hand, i personally have never found to be that great sounding, i have installed virtually their entire line, and they arent bad, they can get pretty loud and sound decent, but IMO still more of a muscle spekaer than a true SQ oriented brand, similar IMO to JL, Diamond etc

2. as mentioned above, specs on speakers pulled from websites really dont mean much at all. They are more or less an advertising tool as worst, and as best, just a rough general reference for the customer. a simple spec of 20-2000hz for example, gives no tolerances to specify under what condition does the sub get this kind of response, what kind of enclosure is it in? what kind of vehicle is it in? and is thos 20-2000hz rating with in a 6 db window? a 3db window? or 10db window? all these things affect this "rating" so i wouldnt put too much emphasis on it. The only thing i tend to use these subwoofer ratings for is usually to get a very rough idea of how a 10 can possible compare wtih a 12 from the SAME manufacture within the SAME model line, becuase i hope in that case, their are at least using identical rating method for their speakers the spec that gives more importance is usually within the package, with a full t/s parameters and box recommendations.

3. its scientifically proven that we cannot "hear" freq below 20hz, however, you can definetly FEEL this subsonic range, and IMO, you can definetly tel a difference with certain types of music, even driving down the road...i have played around with first having a sub go just on a low pass at say 80hz, and then settting a very steep subsonic highpass at 20hz with say a 48db/octave slope, and with certain types of music with extensions below 20hz, you can very obviously tell a difference n sound

b
Thats a big 2 bits Thanks for the info though
Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 AM
StreetOC192

or you know absolutely nothing about car audio..

350zspl knows what's up.

I would say that Kicker can hold its own against most if not all of the mainstream brands. Yes, even the God-like JL Audio. Although I don't like JL's components either, but that's just my taste.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Kenwood? are we really arguing about Kenwood? they make some decent recievers.. thats about it.. what exactly is he arguing that Kenwood is better than Kicker at?

Kicker makes better subs.. better amps.. better DSP's.. what are we arguing here?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 AM
nyguy4u

Kicker makes better amps than Kenwood? LMAO!!!! You're insane.

I'll give ya that Kicker has the edge in Kenwood subs, but no way do they beat Kenwood in DSP's and amps. No way in hell. I'm not a Kenwood fan really either, but if we are comparing Kicker to Kenwood in amps.. than I want what you're smoking.

Kicker amps are junk. They are in the same catagory as Sony
Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 AM
doug

Kicker makes better amps than Kenwood? LMAO!!!! You're insane.

yes on both accounts..

Kicker amps are junk. They are in the same catagory as Sony

no on both accounts
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM
nyguy4u

Well, I'm not going to bother arguing with you Doug. It's obvious that you really are not familiar with Kenwood. I am neither a fan of Kenwood, or Kicker.. but I know whats better and whats not.

zerafian said it best...
Kicker, like many companies today dont make solid of gear as before, the old ZR ZX amplifiers were beasts, super underrated, and given enough current, can really put out some serious power. today's kicker is more run of the mill stuff, decent, but really nothing to stand out from the crowd. Kicker speakers, on the other hand, i personally have never found to be that great sounding

He hit it right on the nail. Even amongst local stereo shops in my area, who actually SELL Kicker, say its crap. It WAS the best. Hell, I still have an old Kicker Substation KSR100. It was great. I still have 10" Kicker Comps. They sound great. But, the quality went straight downhill when they got bought out. Kicker is a joke now.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
doug

everything is a joke now compared to the past.. soundstream... phoenix gold.. ppi..

but kenwood never made a better amp than kicker back in the day.. and still doesn't now..
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
nyguy4u

some things became a joke, of course. Some didn't however. Infinity, Eclipse, RF, JBL, MTX, JL Audio, are just some of the companies that remained dependable. Kicker, sadly.. isn't in that catagory. Kicker WAS good, but now?.. it just plain ole sucks! No better way to sugarcoat it.

Regarding Kenwood vs Kicker in the past, I am not arguing that. I am talking currently.. Kenwood is better than Kicker, especially in the amp catagory. A Kenwood Excelon KAC-X1R would beat the hell out of a Kicker 08ZX750.1, which is sad being the Kicker puts out more power.

Last edited by nyguy4u; 06-03-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
StreetOC192

This thread is going nowhere fast.........

OP, thanks for sharing your setup. I think it's a nice and clean setup and you will definitely get enjoyment out of listening to it.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM
350zspl
Banned

So your telling me that Kicker makes better products than Kenwood, and not even that.. but the BEST?

Ok, either your joking.. or you know absolutely nothing about car audio.. or your still stuck in the mid 90's when Kicker WAS ONE of the best.
truthfully sir
kenwood amps do 1/2 rated power
rated at 1800 watts but max , rms is 500 @ 4 & 900 @ 1
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...iers/KAC-9104D

kicker actual power is 5-10 % above rated

not trying to argue , cause there is nothing to argue about

not being disrespectful

and i said kicker is one of the best mainstream , ( one)

you may not think i know about car audio

i run a shop out of my house doing sales and installs

i also compete in spl db drag

i eat amps and crap subs

Last edited by 350zspl; 06-03-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
350zspl
Banned

and to the thread starter nice clean install

enjoy
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
BlueBoxer

I'm kind of getting sold on Memphis as of late, but I will avoid going down that street and just say I hope you enjoy your system, looks clean. How do you like going with the strictly ipod setup?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM
zerafian

Originally Posted by BlueBoxer
I'm kind of getting sold on Memphis as of late, but I will avoid going down that street and just say I hope you enjoy your system, looks clean. How do you like going with the strictly ipod setup?
thanks

As for the Ipod only receiver...besides being stuck with a 2 volt receiver its great. Im into looks and I love the look of it. I like being able to make my own album art if I want and having it show up on the dash when playing a song. Theres no animation of any sort just scrolling text so its not to much of a destraction, its just appealing enough.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Solopresident

Heard of this shop from many a people and they do KILLER work from what Ive seen heard and now this!

Sweet.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
KelekonaKustoms

Originally Posted by 350zspl
i eat amps and crap subs
Hilarious!!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM
06g35meister

i have an alpine setup and love mine, my kenwood amp was definately budget, but i think given the specs and ranges and pairing the amp and sub together and custom building a box to fit the sub (as i did) is more important to the SQ than the sub itself.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are we debating between kenwood and kicker? totally different companies, always have been, always will...at least debate kenood and rockford, cuase then i can make a wise crack comment and suggest ROCKWOOD or KENFORD instead! lol
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 AM
zerafian

Well...a week after my install I had a problem..I know what your thinking, the shop effed something...weeeelll...not quite true it had to do with the initial install of the receiver alone about 8 months ago.

Anywas, long story short my receiver burned up my amp..the preamps were apparently fried on the receiver. They ended up replacing the amp free of charge and I stuck in this instead

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...&tp=5684&avf=N

After some tweeking I got it so sound just as good if not better then my other receiver. it has 4 volt preamp output...maybe its just me but the highs and lows seem to be split a little more then with the other one I had..which is on top of page one.

-lee

Quick Reply: Full Kicker setup