Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amps and speakers for dummies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 01:16 PM
DTFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amps and speakers for dummies?

I'd like to draw from the wonderful knowledge pool we have here in the Z forums.

I have always been very hesistant about doing any interior mods to my cars, but now with all the help here I think I can start working on my Z.

What I need though is the general concept of how an after-market stereo would work in my circumstance including connections.

I currently have a Panasonic 983U head unti installed with a metra dash kit. It reaplaced the bose unit so it alos has a "vindicator" something or other to regulate the power?

What I want to do is rip out the vindicator, rip out the bose amp, and completely replace the stock speakers including the 10" sub behind the driver.

To do this what kind of amp would I need? The installer I had gone to previously recommended a 400W amp, 2 channels to power the four speakers and 2 channels to power the sub.

Having never installed an amp before, how are they hooked up? Do I run the speaker cables from the HU to the amp, then run cable from the amp to the speakers? What about power for the amp?

Any help would be appreciated.

-DTF
Old 08-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Horizon1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm assuming that head unit has pre-outs. But basically...you would need to use RCA cables from your HU pre out to the amps. And from the amps, you will then have your speaker wires to your speakers.

not sure the wires for the bose system, but you would need to re-wire the power cables for your car so it can power the amps (amp wiring kit) according to its specs.

if really interested..this site will give you all you ever wanted to know about car audio.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm