Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Replacing stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:04 PM
eesnas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock speakers?

EDIT: I do not have a Bose system (I assume this matters)

So the more I think about it the more I think the holidays might be a good time to get this whole project over with...

I have already ordered my DNX7100, I am considering replacing the stock speakers, not adding anything new like tweeters in the A-pillars, just a simple swap of the factory speakers.

From what I see here:
http://www.*********.com/zwiki/Tutor...r_Installation
Even taking the doors off seems to be a bit of a project, I have a feeling I will end up with a loose door panel at the end of this if I am not careful.

It seems that people are typically making all types of adapters or brackets for the door speakers, I would like to avoid all of this, is there a brand and model speaker I can buy that will just fit right in the factory mount?

I know nothing about the back speakers, are they difficult to remove?

In fact, do I have 4 speakers and that's it or are there more? I have a base model without Bose, just regular base 1cd factory with paper cone speakers.

I'll keep researching but this seems somewhat daunting, the head unit I can handle but the speakers seems like it might be a pain. For all intents and purposes I plan to keep the factory wiring, I really want to keep this simple, any tips?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Get_Zwole

Im not positive on the size but you can buy spacers from zenclosures and fit many different speakers in stock location. If your going to buy decent front stage of speakers and amplify them with good power then just disconnect the rear speakers they arent really needed. If you had an suv i could see a point but not in a 2 seater. They put speakers like that in cars so they can hype them and say with 7 speaker awesome bose system etc.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:12 AM
orgasm_donor

You'd be hard pressed to get even shallow mount speakers in the doors without a 1/2" spacer. You will need one...no, it doesn't complicate things too much so don't worry yourself over it.

You will need a component set if you want it to at least sound decent. You have 4 speakers up front...2 tweeters and 2 midbasses. So get yourself a decent 2-way component set. The tweeter mount is going to be one of the tougher parts as you will have to modify. If you find all of this a little too crazy then you should consider a professional install.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
You'd be hard pressed to get even shallow mount speakers in the doors without a 1/2" spacer. You will need one...no, it doesn't complicate things too much so don't worry yourself over it.

You will need a component set if you want it to at least sound decent. You have 4 speakers up front...2 tweeters and 2 midbasses. So get yourself a decent 2-way component set. The tweeter mount is going to be one of the tougher parts as you will have to modify. If you find all of this a little too crazy then you should consider a professional install.

Yeah, the deeper I get the more I think pro install is the way to go, I was thinking of keeping the stock tweeters and replacing everything else. There's a pretty good local shop but I think they are expensive, relatively speaking I'm not sure how high they can really go on speaker swapping. I am just going to have the Kenwood DNX7100, no amps or anything. I think ideally I will just keep the stock speakers, I think the sound quality on the stock system is fine for me and my needs, my main reason for the deck is I want my Ipod to work and I want in-dash navigation, the DNX7100 seems to meet all my needs so long as it's not too much power for the stock speakers I'll stick with them. At the very least I can try it out with the stock speakers for a while and then evaluate it in a few months, then maybe take it somewhere if I think it needs improvement.

Last edited by eesnas; 12-21-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 AM
orgasm_donor

Good plan...play it by ear.
I am quite sure though that you, like a lot of others, will catch the audio bug and replace your front speakers. The tweeters are horrid so replacing them is even more important than those whizzer-coned mids! A 'PRO' install doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg either. I think just getting a quote from a shop will help you decide sooner than later.

The 7100 won't 'blow' those speakers unless you let it. Cranking it up and causing all sorts of distortion is a sure fire way to launch those stock speakers into oblivion. If it sounds bad, turn it down and adjust your bass accordingly.