Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Couple of audio questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:48 PM
ohfourzee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of audio questions..

I will be getting components for the front, and 2 or 3 ways for the rear.

1. Is it necessary to run new speaker wires for both fronts and rears, or will I be ok with stock when adding aftermarket speakers?

2. Where does everyone mount their crossovers? Is there enough space in between the door panel to mount them?

3. Where does everyone mount their tweeters, without going custom? Just looking for a nice spot to mount them, without having to make custom pods and whatnot.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
B5I8

Originally Posted by ohfourzee
I will be getting components for the front, and 2 or 3 ways for the rear.

1. Is it necessary to run new speaker wires for both fronts and rears, or will I be ok with stock when adding aftermarket speakers?

2. Where does everyone mount their crossovers? Is there enough space in between the door panel to mount them?

3. Where does everyone mount their tweeters, without going custom? Just looking for a nice spot to mount them, without having to make custom pods and whatnot.
1. I wouldn't go through the hassle of it unless I was putting in some pretty good equipment. It's a royal pain to run new wires.

2. There should be room in the door for them.

3. I originally had my tweets in the sail panel but I really didn't like them there, they sound too bright. I like them a lot better in the A-pillar but of course that's custom. You could mount them in the kick panel which would probably sound better than the sail panel. If you really don't want to go through the hassle of mounting a tweeter I would suggest some DLS Ultimate UX26 coaxials as they are the best sounding coaxials I've heard so far. They actually sound better than many component setups I've heard.

I really think you should consider ditching the rears and using the extra money to invest in some better speakers for the front or having a custom install done to the front speakers or a combination of both. In my opinion the install is everything. You could have the best of the best speakers but if the install is crap it'll sound like crap. Besides, rear speakers are absolutely useless in such a small cabin like the 350z and you won't find rear speakers in most high end sound quality setups.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Yes, Stock Wiring probably won't give you the best quality from your new speakers.

2. Depends. Some xovers will fit some won't. Mine are in the glove behind the psngr seat

3. Run the tweets as a coax or mount them in the a pillars if poss. Stock sails don't sound too good.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
orgasm_donor

I agree about the rears...just ditch them alltogether. The tweets up front should go more forward...try to see if they are small enough to put into the A-pillar panels (you'll have to cut but it'll be worth it).
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
ohfourzee

Ok, so ditching the rears. After I posted this, i searched a million and one threads and found out myself that I shouldnt swap the rears - searching owned me.

Anyway, im going to get some components, and an amp for sure. Should I definetly run new wires then?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
B5I8

Originally Posted by ohfourzee
Ok, so ditching the rears. After I posted this, i searched a million and one threads and found out myself that I shouldnt swap the rears - searching owned me.

Anyway, im going to get some components, and an amp for sure. Should I definetly run new wires then?
That's a personal choice you'll have to make as it's a pain to do. If you were doing a custom kick panel and A-pillar mount for the mid and tweet it would make running new wires a whole lot easier, not to mention sound a lot better. What kind of equipment were you thinking? Have you considered going active instead of passive? Personally I'd go with Zapco DC reference amps (very good processing features) and take your pick of components. DLS, Seas, and Hertz all make some very good components you have to choose from, not to mention a few other brands.

BTW are you doing the install yourself or is a shop putting this in for you?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
ohfourzee

Ill be doing it myself...i need to say in the $300 range for components....looking to spend about $500 on components and an amp...