Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

the best iPod Integration kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
SmartDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the best iPod Integration kit

PLEASE HELP! I am trying to determine which iPod integration kit to go with. I would also like to get HD radio too so I would prefer a product that incorporates an HD turner too. I am a stickler for quality and am willing to shell out a little extra cash if its worth it. I have a 2008 Touring Edition 350z with Nav system. Everything is stock and I would like to maintain my stock Bose radio and Nav system, and prefer plug and play products. After weeks of searching the internet and reading the forums here are the products I have found:

PAC:
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...iliary%20Input
Product- PAC AAI-NIS2; uPAC-HDRT
What I learned so far:
+ Two auxiliary audio inputs for any mp3, iPod, or other audio source.
+ Maintains XM/Sirius functionality
+ Control volume with radio/steering wheel buttons
- No track/playlist control with radio/steering buttons
- Doesn't display song text on the BOSE unit

USA Spec:
http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html
What I learned so far:
Not too much

Axxess:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...8428QQtcZphoto
What I learned so far:
+ Displays song text from iPod to BOSE unit
+ Control all volume with radio/steering wheel buttons
+ Control iPod tracks (up/down) with radio/steering wheel buttons
+ Control iPod playlist with radio buttons
- Doesn't work with XM

iSimple:
http://www.isimplesolutions.com/home.asp
Products- Peripheral iSimple PXAMG/HDRT/PGHNI1 Nissan HD Radio/iPod Adapter Combo Kit
What I learned so far:
+ Displays song text from iPod to BOSE unit
+ Control iPod playlist with radio buttons
+ Uses one of the XM inputs, maintains the other for XM

I have also considered using the Nav screen inconjunction with some ipod integration kits that utilize a video screen for controlling the ipod. Although I'll still need an AUX input hook up to the BOSE stereo for the audio signal.

Nav-tv(UK):
http://www.nav.tv/category/7/75/169
Products - NAV-INNIS1; VEHICLEDOCK FOR IPOD
What I learned so far:
Vehicledock for iPod looks sweet- would love to use their VEHICLEDOCK FOR IPOD with the Nav screen to navigate my ipod. To do so I would need a video input device, however their video integration system is not plug and play and requires cutting wires. Also I have not had much luck getting in contact with this company as they are UK based.

Nav-TV
http://www.navtv.com/products_usa_ipod.php
Products: NAV-TV OPi - M.O.S.T. iPod Interface; Nav Screen A.V.
What I learned so far:
Nav Screen interface is not as cool looking as the one above. And their video integration system is not plug and play and requires cutting wires. Also I think this may be the US counter-part to Nav-TV (UK). But this company's products don't look as good... weird.

TVandNav2Go:
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/in-car-dvd.html
Product: TVandNav2Go - Universal
What I learned so far:
I called this place up and they said that they only offered plug and play video integration devices up to the 2006 model 350z nav system. They could only provide me with a hardwire integration system.

NavTool
http://www.tvandnav.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=181
Product: NavTool - Universal
What I learned so far:
I called this place up and they said that they could only provide me with a hardwire integration system. No 2008 plug and play device yet. Grrr...

Thoughts? Feedback? If anyone has any experience with these products your feedback would much appreciated. Also I am considering doing these installs myself but as any new Z owner, I am apprehensive about taking apart my car. If anybody has any guides for taking apart the radio and getting behind there, I would be very grateful for that too. Thanks to Chrisdk for his help thus far in my search.

Thanks in advanced,

Joe

Last edited by SmartDude; 12-31-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe- Great Post.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
SmartDude

hellangle- While I appreciate the info about Scandisk Sansa and related software, I dont really see how the information you provided is relevant to this thread. I've been using iPod for many years now and I am very comfortable and knowledgable about that specific technology and intend to stick with the brand for future MP3 player purchases. Plus its a very common media player which provides me with two important considerations.

1) Since its most common there will be many third party manufacturers making iPod integration kits, meaning more to choose from- a good thing.
2) It's a popular product most of my friends and family use it, I want them to able to plug their iPod in too.

It's for these reasons that I am trying to determine from My350Z members' experiences which are the best iPod integration kit and video to navigation converters. The ideal in my case being plug and play devices that work in conjunction with the stock stereo and navigation system. Thanks for your post, but do you have any experience with any of the products I have mentioned or maybe something that might be applicable that I may not have mentioned?

iStan - thanks, have you used any of these products yourself?

all- Please fill this forum with any knowledge you may have on the subject - Plug and Play iPod Integration Kits and Video to Nav screen converters. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
eesnas

Good post, bookmarking for the DVD ripper...
Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 AM
JoontheBaboon

Hey SmartDude, I have a 2008 350Z Touring with factory Navi w/ Bluetooth, but I want to be able to connect my i-Pod to it. I don't need DVD player or any of that, just the i-Pod with my stock Bose and Navi/Bluetooth. What should I get?

Last edited by JoontheBaboon; 01-05-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
rsxscrazy

is there one out for the iphone 3g yet?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
chris3g

Originally Posted by rsxscrazy
is there one out for the iphone 3g yet?
i emailed Pac audio about this and they told me they will be releasing a new cable, which should be available in about a month, that will enable charging on iphone 3g and new ipods. This would replace the cable that now comes with the uPac-NISX models, which works with the iphone 3G but does not charge.

The part # they provided me with -
PODCBL5V-RETAIL-$24.99
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
SmartDude

Default ...

JoontheBaboon-

That's actually what I am trying to determine. The point of this thread is to try and collect as much information as I can about these different types of iPod integration kits. I am hoping people who have experience with these products will share their knowledge with the rest of us so that we can learn from them and make the best choice possible.

In order to determine which iPod integration kits works best, you need to determine what you would like to do with you iPod and factory installed Bose Stereo.

Integrated Solutions has an excellent breakdown of what is available in terms of iPod integration via its 5 Level rating system. See the link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Integration-S...D-ADAPTER.html

There is another level that I consider Level 6 - In addition to these Bose stereo iPod integration kits there are other iPod integration kits which utilize a video screen (like the Navi screen) and stereo system. But in order to utilize the integration kit you need have video adapter hooked up to you navi screen and an audio auxiliary line into your stereo. Only the sound will be piped into your stereo (meaning the song info will not be displayed on the stereo text screen), however the integration kit will utilize the video screen and have advanced ipod like menus and song information displayed on the nav screen. The integration kit comes with a remote control which is used to control the iPod. If you have an ipod with video playback capabilities you can even watch videos on the navi screen. Here is an example of what I am talking about: http://www.nav.tv/products/vehicledock-ipod?car=169

Rsxscrazy –

Yes I also talked to iSimple and Axxess both of which said they could include the additional charge cable for the iPhone upon request for $20. And I think iSimple even told me the would just throw it in no extracharge.

Last edited by SmartDude; 01-05-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
SmartDude

Default Off topic

I'm looking to gather information about iPod integration kits.

If you want to talk about DVD rippers or Sansa Media players or anything else that is off topic then START A NEW THREAD!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
chris3g

i have a uPAC-NIS1 on the way, hopefully i will have it by the end of the week.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 AM
SmartDude

Default diy?

Originally Posted by chris3g
i have a uPAC-NIS1 on the way, hopefully i will have it by the end of the week.
Are you going to install it yourself?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 AM
chris3g

Originally Posted by SmartDude
Are you going to install it yourself?
Yes, probably.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
SmartDude

Yes, probably.
Can you take a lot of pictures and walkthrough what you did- step by step including taking out the dash?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
chriskd

Hey SmartDude, as you know (through our PMs), I currently have the Axxess. The info you found re: integrating the navi screen is pretty interesting and I'd love to do something like this with my stock Navi. However, according to NavTV documentation, "The video input is auto video sensing, when your additional source is switched on the picture will override the navigation map picture. It will revert back to the navigation picture when your source is switched off." As I read it, that means I can't listen to my iPod AND use my Navi at the same time. That's a bummer.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:42 PM
chris3g

Originally Posted by SmartDude
Can you take a lot of pictures and walkthrough what you did- step by step including taking out the dash?
Well i would but step-by-step instructions already exist - http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

i used this the last time i took my dash apart and i'll just be following it again. The only additional steps you are going to have is to plug in the ipod adapter, find somewhere to put it so it doesn't rattle around, and put the cord somewhere. Most people will probably put it right above in the cubby and that would be the easiest thing to do, but i already have a gps unit in there, so mine is going to have to go somewhere else.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
chriskd

I used those instructions as well when I installed my Axxess. But you're gonna have to wing it for steps 6 - 9, if you have the stock navi. I could never figure out how to get the navi button panel off, so I just carefully pried it up to get to the two screws in step 9.

The Axxess kit sits behind the A/C control panel and the cables run under the center console, up through the cup holder by the e-brake (on the 07-08).
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
SmartDude

Default update on the VEHICLEDOCK from Nav-tv

Chrisdk,

Good to hear from you. Thanks again for filling me in on Axxess. As you can see I've continued my search for the best iPod integration unit. I really like the idea of being able to navigate my iPod on the OEM Nav Screen. I have an update from Nav-TV (UK) and NAVTV CORP (the US counterpart). After talking with the UK company for a while they finally got me in touch with the US company who sent me this email [my contributions look like this]:

Hello Joe,

I just wanted to clarify a couple of details about your inquiry.

First, as Chris [from Nav-TV UK] mentioned we should have the VehicleDock available by mid-next week for $300. [January 12-16th, sweet I don't have to import it!]

Second, you are correct that we don't have a plug'n'play solution for your vehicle, and I can special order the piece from Nav-TV UK, but I'm concerned that there may be differences between American and European vehicles that may make their module incompatible with your car (whereas our wired solution will work reliably, it just requires a bit of wire cutting, but can be removed easily to restore a factory appearance. [After contacting the UK company, I learned that they do have a plug'n'play video integration solution, but this guy makes a valid point.]

Third, I assume you're aware that neither NAV-TV UK nor ourselves offer any sort of audio integration for your vehicle, and the iPod's audio will still need to be routed to the car somehow... [still need an auxillary input for the stereo]

Finally, the VehicleDock will not allow you to control the iPod with any of your existing vehicle controls, and you will need to use the remote that's included with the VehicleDock. [bummer]

That having been said, if you have any further questions, I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

NAVTV CORP

So... as you can see there are still some pro's and con's to be considered with this system as well.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
SmartDude

Default nav integration

chrisdk,

If none of those things have deterred your interest in the IPOD VEHICLEDOCK, then I think I may have a solution for video integration dilemma. This video integration unit comes with a switch which you mount somewhere in your vehicle so that you can toggle back and forth between the Navigation screen and your video source. The only overriding video input comes from the the 2nd video input which is for a reverse camera and is only activated when the car is put in to reverse so it should not be a problem. Any way here is the site:

http://www.tvandnav.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=181

I've heard of people drilling a hole in the side of the nav cubby for the switch. Still requires wire cutting behind the nav unit, which I personally am not too thrilled about. If I find out that there is a company that will provide a 100% plug'n'play solution I'll be sure to post it here.

-joe
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
SmartDude

Default thanks

Well i would but step-by-step instructions already exist - http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

i used this the last time i took my dash apart and i'll just be following it again. The only additional steps you are going to have is to plug in the ipod adapter, find somewhere to put it so it doesn't rattle around, and put the cord somewhere. Most people will probably put it right above in the cubby and that would be the easiest thing to do, but i already have a gps unit in there, so mine is going to have to go somewhere else.
Yeah i've seen that link, I guess I was hoping someone with an automatic and nav would do a walkthrough like this. Maybe that person will have to be me. chrisdk did it, so at least i know it CAN be done. thanks for your help dude. Let me know how your install goes.

-joe
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
SmartDude

Last edited by SmartDude; 01-14-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: the best iPod Integration kit