Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeter placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
ninor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter placement

Ok, I am having quite a dilemma here on trying to decide where should I install my tweeters. I am looking for the cheapest solution possible but yet I could justify spending more only if the difference in sound is DRASTIC. Also, I will be using Focal 165 K2P comps and Alpine 9887 HU which I plan on EQing with Imprint in near future as I currently have no money for external EQ.

My options are:

1. Stock tweeter snail location
2. Next to midbass in WickedCAS door pod.
3. Drill a hole in the kick panel.
4. Mold the A-Pillar to fit tweeters (this is probably not an option as it's $$$, but still putting it out here for heck of it)
5. ???

Last edited by ninor; 01-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
BlueZ33

id put it in the stock tweeter location
Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by BlueZ33
Yea that's what I was thinking but I never heard tweeters in any locations in a Z so I have no idea how it sounds in different places. I know someone will post saying "try sticking your tweets with double sided tape to different locations and decide whatever sounds best to you" but I want to take apart door panels and rest of the plastic panels off only once rather than multiple times. So I want to make a decision before I order my door pods.

I am sure someone has tried placing tweeters in different locations to see where they sound the best... but then again different tweeters probably sound different in different places lol...

Also, do you know the max size of a tweeter that can fit in stock location with some drilling?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
ninor

oh wow... I just did a search on this and found so many threads on this... maybe I should have searched before posting! I gotta delete this thread
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by BlueZ33
fail

much better response in a pillar or kicks
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
fail

much better response in a pillar or kicks
yea after reading some of the old threads... i'll probably put it in kicks... but bing mentioned in one of his posts how it's important where you face the tweeter...

i'll install it in stock kick panel... just drill it?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
orgasm_donor

In the A-pillar works great in most cases as long as you have access to time correction tools and of course good EQ capabilities. If you can time correct them and EQ them, your soundstage is nice and high and you can play with the width very nicely.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Fairly Z

I've got my C5 tweeters in the stock location and I find that front stage is lacking. In about a month, I'll be leaving those tweeters there and adding a set that will be angle mounted on the dashboard.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
In the A-pillar works great in most cases as long as you have access to time correction tools and of course good EQ capabilities. If you can time correct them and EQ them, your soundstage is nice and high and you can play with the width very nicely.
But putting them in A-pillars would cost me $$$ to have them molded in there... unless there are some other ways of putting them in A-Pillars for cheap (maybe just drilling a hole? lol..

I will tune the Alpine 9887 with Imprint and then later on I plan on adding H701/C701 combo if I can find them cheap on forums

Also, I heard that if you use time alignment that it only sounds good for the driver... that it sounds horrible for the passenger
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by ninor
But putting them in A-pillars would cost me $$$ to have them molded in there... unless there are some other ways of putting them in A-Pillars for cheap (maybe just drilling a hole? lol..

I will tune the Alpine 9887 with Imprint and then later on I plan on adding H701/C701 combo if I can find them cheap on forums

Also, I heard that if you use time alignment that it only sounds good for the driver... that it sounds horrible for the passenger
Go with the tweets in the stock location for now; the Imprint kit will do a decent job of getting them in phase with the rest of the system. Move them later on once you know what kind of sound you want.

As for Imprint, you can choose what position you want to tune for. Seeing as the Z is only a 2-seater, if you tune for All Seats it will sound great. When it says to place the Mic in the rear seats, just set it on the bulkhead right behind the center console/seats before the trunk area. My system sounded GREAT from there, and with tweets in stock location.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Get_Zwole

It would really depend on your tweeter. But the sail panel will = fail. Kicks or a pillars if you ask me.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
It would really depend on your tweeter. But the sail panel will = fail. Kicks or a pillars if you ask me.
Custom or DIY? I can't justify spending $300 for tweeter install.... speakers were $400, door pods are $280... plus ~$300 for tweeters?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Get_Zwole

Custom or DIY? I can't justify spending $300 for tweeter install.... speakers were $400, door pods are $280... plus ~$300 for tweeters?
If you have good off axis tweeters then you could just mount them in thekicks without much modification. Drill a whole bolt it in and put some deadener on the back just to help. Ive seen it done numerous times, i dont know if thats exactly how they do it but something to look into and its def. diy.
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter placement-daven3.jpg  

Last edited by Get_Zwole; 01-21-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
orgasm_donor

You gotta pay to play homie! Hehe....

Seriously though, install of any car audio componentsis just as important or even more important than the quality of the product itself. This includes placement and adjustment as well.

Some tweeter kits have an angle mount 'pod' that could easily be attached to the A-pillar and look reasonable. Even flush-angle pods come with come kits and make it slightly more stealth looking. Quite easy to install.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Get_Zwole

^^^ yup i agree bro i have about the same amount in pods and install as i do my 3 way dls components lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
You gotta pay to play homie! Hehe....

Seriously though, install of any car audio componentsis just as important or even more important than the quality of the product itself. This includes placement and adjustment as well.

Some tweeter kits have an angle mount 'pod' that could easily be attached to the A-pillar and look reasonable. Even flush-angle pods come with come kits and make it slightly more stealth looking. Quite easy to install.
I know that you gotta pay to play man... but I am just trying to justify cost over increased quality of sound

I know that my Focal 165W Utopia components (TN51 tweeter) came with angle mount that could be mounted at 2 different angels but I'm not sure if TN52 comes with it... they will get delivered to my door tomorrow and I'll snap some pics of it

The previous owner of these speakers had the tweeters installed as such:

How do you guys think this would sound? I'll give him a call tomorrow and check how he liked it but I just wanted to get your professional opinions
Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Get_Zwole

how do we think what will sound? the focal's in general? or what?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
how do we think what will sound? the focal's in general? or what?
For some reason, the picture did not display correctly... I was asking what do you guys think the tweeter in this location would sound like?
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter placement-stereo2.jpg  
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM
ninor

oh oh Bing is in here... welcome Bing!

Quick Reply: Tweeter placement