Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Getting wires into glove box..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 11:56 AM
dingobiatch

Default Getting wires into glove box..

I'm going to be putting my amp in the passenger side glove box, but I'm not sure what panels I'll have to remove to get wires up into it. Is there a guide online? I've been searching but can't find any.
Old 02-03-2009 | 12:47 PM
adamtaylorpcb

just take off the panel that is right inside the door that hooks back into the trunk area... dont even have to take it all the way off just the front part
Old 02-03-2009 | 02:15 PM
JEKL

I dont have a write up, but can explain in just a couple of steps. Just lift out the carpeted board of the glove box to expose the recessed plastic floor. (the one I mounted the Kenwood to)

Pop out the plastic piece by inserting a flathead into each opening at the front.

If you already have the center console removed or loosened you can see the two cavities that allow you to run wires from the headunit to the amp. (pic stolen from orgasm_donor)

Using some pieces that I bought from Lowes I elevated the Kenwood for air circulation and so I could cut a hole in the board under the unit to run the wires.

I hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 02-03-2009 | 02:45 PM
mattk

You'll probably want to run the power wires apart from the signal unless you've got a differential signal or great shielding. Personally, I run the power line the passenger outside, and the signal and remote down the center console. YMMV.

So you'll have to remove:
Passenger side runner cover
Passenger side panel (if you want to run power down this side)
Center console

Modifying the glove box or putting in an amp rack?
Now you've got to do the same on both sides plus the glove box covers and panel

Be sure to take it slow, to prevent tab breakage. Start with the side runner covers, and all the panels pops off in sequence working your way back.
Old 02-04-2009 | 03:31 AM
KManZ
Banned

To run the RCAs and speaker wire, use the center console. Word of advice: when working on the console, use an old shirt or something to cover up the shifter trim ring to prevent scratches.

To run the power wire down the passenger side, do what the guys above said about removing the door sill trim, but from there the only panel you need to loosen is the B-Pillar trim, you know, the one that surrounds the seat belt. Just pop enough tabs so that you can work a wire up underneath it. From there, you can reach in from under the glove box floor (there is a big hole under the plastic in there), and pull the wire through.

As for your new amp, it is small enough to fit in the glove box without removing any of the trim panels. Mount the amp on the plastic floor piece, and cut holes for the wires. Nice, clean install.