Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Latest message from BOSE...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Wedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Pilot

On the '04 Bose systems, the button that allows you to select the bass, treble, balance and fade adjustments has one more selection..........audio pilot on / off. If you do not have this selection, then you have an '03 head unit.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:08 AM
SungNamZ

I will check...but in doing adjustment to bass, treble, balance and fade I do not recall "audio pilot"...but will check again. Still wondering if Bose, knowing they had a problem, did some fixes to the 03 units that might have been sitting on their shelves.

If you admit you have a problem, why not go in and fix the stuff on the shelves before sending out? In the event, they and Nissan work something out, (i.e. recall) put a stamp on those that have been corrected. I know this, Reliable had to get the unit from Bose.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:11 AM
acjet

took mine in today for several reasons. got them to order a new hu. i asked about getting an 04 unit. they said they could only order the part from the part number on the face plate (i think the number on the tape deck lid). will post more when finally installed.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:08 PM
SungNamZ

Went to Reliable Nissan today in an attempt to find out what models have the CD6, to include 7th speaker. I might have to do some more research, but was told "Tour" which I have is the only vehicle with the CD6 and 7th speaker. If they are wrong....say so! Again, the bass is totally different and the sound quality seems better since the "new" unit has been installed. I find it hard to believe that Bose, given all the bad reports would not look at units on their shelves and fix now Vs later. I say now when a situation like yours and mine happens.

How long until the replacement unit arrives? Keep us posted so that other might attempt doing the same. I don't think problem is within the speakers.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:51 PM
FLY BY Z

Have you seen the speakers, first of all? Also, the HU does not put out any power it is only a signal to the Bose amp that is in the hatch. The speakers are obviously crap when you look at them or touch them. That is the weakest link but maybe not the only weak link. I think the whole thing sucks. Without seeing speakers from an 04 we can't know for sure what all the changes are. The HU is different in the 04's, I seriously doubt that any changes were made to old HU's but there is a possibility of me being wrong there of course, but I got a new HU recently and there was no change in SQ. We also assume that the info posted on here is correct that there is new "software" in the amp (maybe HU?) in the 04s. I cannot faithfully say that this will transform the SQ like the 03-04 difference. The speakers have got to be different as well.

And yes the TOURING model is the only one that comes with the Bose system. A six disc in dash changer is part of the features of the Bose system. There is an optional 6 disc in dash changer available from the parts dept that will fit the regular stereo in the Z.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:41 PM
SungNamZ

Good info! It would definetly be nice to park an 03 and 04 side-by-side and get down and dirty. Have not seen the speakers! While Bose / Nissan knows there is a problem, probably not going to fess up. We would have to find someone who has an 04 and just look! My SQ did get better or maybe it was so bad for so long, can't remember day #1. Would love to talk to a Bose engineer who is honest!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:21 PM
acjet

as i said, i took the car in for several reasons and am so fed up with nna (not my dealership) that i didn't bother to ask how long. i'm just happy that the stock radio in the sentra loaner they gave me sounds better than my blose. they can keep my car for all i care. but i'm sure they will have to order it and it will be a few weeks. my window streak kit (second time) took two weeks to get and i'm sure it'll be about the same for the hu. btw my random function never worked either. this is my first fix for the bose unit so it will be stock everything with the exception of the new hu.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by acjet
as i said, i took the car in for several reasons and am so fed up with nna (not my dealership) that i didn't bother to ask how long. i'm just happy that the stock radio in the sentra loaner they gave me sounds better than my blose. they can keep my car for all i care. but i'm sure they will have to order it and it will be a few weeks. my window streak kit (second time) took two weeks to get and i'm sure it'll be about the same for the hu. btw my random function never worked either. this is my first fix for the bose unit so it will be stock everything with the exception of the new hu.
Hey dude on the windows there is another type of fix. I had the kit installed and there was still a little tiny bit of grease occuring but not like originally. I also had to have my window regulators replaced on both doors because the up down on open close was not functioning properly. The regulator comes with the pieces that are included in the window fix kit. The parts that it comes with are even more different/upgraded from the window fix kit itself. Get it?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Buub

Actually, the random function of the Bose is the best I've seen. I don't know if everyone does this or if it's just a Bose feature, but it caches the music in the skip buffer and starts changing discs before it finishes the song. I thought that was genius the first time I noticed it happening.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:16 PM
acjet

thanx for the info on the window fix m.p.h. my windows aren't dropping like they used to. just waiting for them to go too. what's next with this car??? or should i say what else?

buub.... i might agree with the random function if i could get it to work.

lets hope the hu will be better so i can drown out all the squeeks, rattles, and "growling".
Old 09-30-2003, 08:59 PM
SungNamZ

That "Random" feature is awesome. You figure you load 6 CD's with a song count of 12+....thats 72+ plays. You don't even get caught up in the CD change. I wonder how many others out there have this same problem and ignored it because they never had it so didn't question its operation.

I also have the grease issue, but dealer has fix kit onhand and will do when it goes in for "new" OEM tires at 18,000+ miles. NNA did come through on this one. Had a friend with window issue...in addition to grease...dealer in Albuquerque replaced the entire mechanizm in both doors. Solved both grease and not raising/lowering properly. Maybe someday we will all get issues resolved. I still love my "Z"!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:49 AM
cincyspider

Wrong Mr. Potatoe Head!!

If I am Bose and I have MY name to protect....where the NAME is 90% of the value in that product....and Nissan comes to me asking for a system that is going to give MY NAME a poor image, I would say F*&K OFF! I am sure that Bose simply screwed up, along with Nissan on this system.

Bose has tried VERY hard over the years to maintain a HIGH QUALITY image. .

Last edited by cincyspider; 10-01-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:57 AM
SungNamZ

Cincyspider,

Way to go! Don't know which "Bose" system you have, but if CD6, did you get a chance to see if "All CD Mix" is working?
Old 10-01-2003, 01:53 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

It amazes me that there is only bass/treble control and no separate midrange. Anyone else wonder about that?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:19 PM
cincyspider

Nah! That's all you need for a HIGH END system!!

Old 10-01-2003, 03:45 PM
zzzya

It is quite funny really that people think Bose is of any quality at all. Personally I have to commend the company for doing a great job at marketing themselves, because they have everyone thinking they are good. If you were to compare them to any true mid-fi to hi-fi company Bose pales in comparison and in my book is the hi-end of low-fi if even that. I am more of a home audio buff then car audio, but have been involved in car audio enough to know they really are only mediocre at best in both areas. I was not expecting much from my Bose system in my touring and it suits what I am looking for in my 350Z. I actually like the amount of Bass because you can hear more nuances in the music you are listening to. For those who listen to bass heavy music, then yes I would be very dissapointed as this system really can not handle much of it efficiently. I have owned many Maxima's however and would say this, "This is the worst factory Bose system I have ever heard in any of my vehicles" BTW this is my 6th Nissan with a premium Bose setup.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:55 PM
SungNamZ

You have the "Touring"! Have you checked to see if the "All CD Mix" works? That probably seems like a "dumb" question, but since I had the "Check Disc" problem and the Head Unit was replaced the SQ is better and I now have the "All CD Mix" capability. Love it! Probably some other features that I now have on the "RPT" button that I didn't use before.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:56 PM
bshockley

Originally posted by Ron Keller
Seth, when and where? In my opinion, it is like "night and day". I am thinking I had a bad "In Dash" unit from day #1. If the CD's had not started giving me problems, who knows how long I would have gone with the "old" unit. Even some of the "display" features are different. It now shows, in small graphics, "TNo." above the song on the CD. Also, the "random" play of a CD is there. You go from track #1 to track #10 and then back to #4, etc. etc. etc. Plus, while I enjoyed the massage, the speaker behind the seat is there, you notice it, but don't get the thump in the back. You are right, if all else fail we will just sit back and listen to "Borla".

Complain about the unit. Don't wait on Nissan or Bose! It can only be "replaced not repaired". Told Andy at Reliable CD's stopped playing. No questions asked, "new" in-dash unit ordered. Ordered, received and installed within 2 weeks.
My Touring has had that stereo since day one. Vin___117832. I have the TNo, the Random CD and Random all CD in my car. For the most part the stereo is great, but is does a terrible job with the autovolume thing. That just plain sucks. I might someday try some different speakers.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:45 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by cincyspider
Wrong Mr. Potatoe Head!!

If I am Bose and I have MY name to protect....where the NAME is 90% of the value in that product....and Nissan comes to me asking for a system that is going to give MY NAME a poor image, I would say F*&K OFF! I am sure that Bose simply screwed up, along with Nissan on this system.

Bose has tried VERY hard over the years to maintain a HIGH QUALITY image. .
Just because that is what you would do doesn't mean that is what Bose would do. Nissan has been using Bose for a long time and that would indicate their is either:

A) A contract involved (doubtful)
B) Bose is the LOWEST BIDDER (probable)

Bose is a company that makes their systems "sound" good by eliminating many of the frequencies involved in the original recording. A lot of the sound that is in what you listen to does not make it through the Bose system. It does not replicate the recording as accuratley as possible to claim high quality sound as the manufacturers who have high quality sound do.

Sometimes, cincyspider, revenue overcomes the desire to uphold a certain reputation. This is not a perfect world. Besides, Bose's rep isn't all that good anyways for SQ. Trust me, Nissan is the one who is responsible for cheaping out on our systems.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Buub

Originally posted by Ron Keller
That "Random" feature is awesome. You figure you load 6 CD's with a song count of 12+....thats 72+ plays. You don't even get caught up in the CD change. I wonder how many others out there have this same problem and ignored it because they never had it so didn't question its operation.
Well that isn't quite what I meant. Any CD player made in the last ten years that doesn't have a random/shuffle feature would be seriously questionable for even the bargain bin at K-Mart, IMHO.

First, an explanation of the skip buffer: it pre-loads up to ten seconds of a song into a memory buffer in case of a skip; while the disc reader head is repositioning to re-read the part that it failed to read the last time around, the unit continues to play music out of the skip buffer. Once it resyncs, it continues to play while refilling the skip buffer. All you hear is seamless music; you never even knew it had to go back and re-read a part of the disc because of a skip.

What I meant was, this is the first stereo I've ever seen that actively uses the skip buffer to play the end of a song while it starts changing discs early. It was really spooky the first time I was listening to the last strands of a familiar song fade away, and I started hearing the CD player changing discs, BUT IT WAS STILL PLAYING MUSIC! I was like WTF. Then I realized what it was doing, and I thought "brilliant". Whoever thought of such a simple elegant solution to slow disc changes deserves a lifetime achievement award medal.

My question was whether this is a Bose-patented thing or if other manufacturers do it too.

Last edited by Buub; 10-01-2003 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Latest message from BOSE...