Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?

serious question, i want to change something up, i have front mb quartz speakers, stock rears, rockford fosgate amp+sub, will upgrading the rears make that much of a difference?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
YoungBB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they will. It will give you a complete clear crisp sound (of course if you're going with mbQuartz to make sure it stays clean) If you don't like too much high's you could always play with the amp.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM
YoungBB

I have a similar set up on mine and I love the sound. (just for the heads up)
Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 PM
jadaniya
Banned

If u had searched you wouldve found that most people don't think it's worth it. Especially if you have a sub that will bog out the sound of the rear speakers anyway. If you really need to switch something up, why not upgrade from mb and Rockford? That will contribute much more than adding speaker you won't really be able to hear.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be wasting money. Ditch the rear speakers and put your money somewhere elese.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Peteski

I like a little fill but its really not worth the money.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cor forged
yes they will. It will give you a complete clear crisp sound (of course if you're going with mbquartz to make sure it stays clean) if you don't like too much high's you could always play with the amp.
What are you talking about?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

remove the rear speakers altogether

given where they sit, and where they aim, they are not worth investing $ into
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Peteski

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
How funny is his avitar!!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am for and against upgrading the rears. I upgraded to Boston's and only hooked up the front components to the amp and allowed the 3 way rears to be powered by my headunit 25W. It wasnt enough and the fronts drowned out the rears. The seats also block the sound a bit. If you do decided on rears make sure they are matched well with the rest of your system...

Last edited by ecorona6; 06-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Right?

know what your talking about before you give advice
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
andrewrfl

If you are going to power your speakers with an amp and like loud crisp sound yes its worth it. If you like the base to overpower the mids and highs why bother...
Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andrewrfl
If you are going to power your speakers with an amp and like loud crisp sound yes its worth it. If you like the base to overpower the mids and highs why bother...
That's just plain incorrect

The rear speakers in the Z are in the worst possible spot for imaging, or even helping to raise the floor of the sound stage. You would have to feed them a significant amount of power for them to give you any appreciable difference in mid/high vs the rest of the system. The only realistic use for them would be in a true 5.1 system, where you need rear speakers as part of the soundtrack of the source program (movie, etc).
Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM
andrewrfl

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
That's just plain incorrect

The rear speakers in the Z are in the worst possible spot for imaging, or even helping to raise the floor of the sound stage. You would have to feed them a significant amount of power for them to give you any appreciable difference in mid/high vs the rest of the system. The only realistic use for them would be in a true 5.1 system, where you need rear speakers as part of the soundtrack of the source program (movie, etc).
When I upgraded my audio I upgraded all the speakers. I have no experience with just upgrading the front. I'm no audio genius and I can't argue with you but upgrading and amplifying all the speakers is a mod I really enjoy.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure if you want to waste money, don't care about the sound stage, or ever plan on going active, and want want your passengers in the rear seat to be able to hear the music.

Take whatever money you are/thinking about spending on the rear speakers and either go active, or upgrade the front speakers to better ones or make them better somehow (deadening the doors).
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andrewrfl
When I upgraded my audio I upgraded all the speakers. I have no experience with just upgrading the front. I'm no audio genius and I can't argue with you but upgrading and amplifying all the speakers is a mod I really enjoy.
that is a far different statement than your last post

when you make a post trying to directly answer someones question looking for advise, if you don't know what you're talking about (and there is nothing wrong with that by the way - everyone can always learn something new!), you're better off not posting at all. He's not looking for what you did on your car, he's asking for facts - and the fact of the matter is that short of a full 5.1 type setup, where rear speakers are mandatory as part of the ecoding of the source material, "upgrading" them in their stock location isn't really an upgrade at all, it's simply a waste of time and money.

BTW, I am the furthest thing from an expert as well - there are several guys here who know their stuff backwards and forwards when it comes to audio. However, having spent significant time (and money) upgrading the system in my own Z, I've got a pretty good, general working knowledge of what is, and is not worth investing in, and rear stock location speakers don't even come close to making it on that list.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

there is so much fail in this thread yet so much win
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by COR Forged
Yes they will. It will give you a complete clear crisp sound (of course if you're going with mbQuartz to make sure it stays clean) If you don't like too much high's you could always play with the amp.
lets hope your rim selling expertise is much better than your audio expertise, because you will never make any money in your business..

that and MB Quartz and Crisp Sound don't go together.. try MB Quartz and muddy midbass with piercing tweeters
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Buying nazar's door pods and better front speakers will be way better for your sound than the virtually useless rear speakers. The stock speaker grill in the front blocks a lot of sound, fixing this is more practical for actual sound heard than rear speakers.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Peteski

Originally Posted by jadaniya
Buying nazar's door pods and better front speakers will be way better for your sound than the virtually useless rear speakers. The stock speaker grill in the front blocks a lot of sound, fixing this is more practical for actual sound heard than rear speakers.
+1

Quick Reply: Are the rear speakers even worth upgrading?