Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Mounting Depth Mids

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:02 PM
danotto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Depth Mids

I just bought a CDT HD-62CF 6.5" 2-way Component System. They have a mounting Depth of 2.75". Can anyone tell me if these things will fit in the doors. I made the mistake of going to CC to get them installed, and the installer could not do it. He did not have the equipment to make custom spacers. I will be seeing my custom installer tomorrow, but am just wondering if this install will be possible.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:55 PM
big-al

yes,almost any 6.5" speaker can fit, have the installer cut a 6.5" ring out of 3/4" MDF the cut the ring diagonal then glue them together with wood glue. that way the speaker will be angled toward the rear/up of the vehicle(better imaging)note: when the speaker is angled back,the magnet is away from the glass. Dig?
also for better results, use a sheet of damping material to cover the spacer so air is tight before install of mid.

Last edited by big-al; 12-03-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:41 AM
danotto

Big-al, thanks for the idea. I would have never thought of that. One question. Are you saying to make two 3/4" rings for each side, glue them together, and THEN cut it diagonal?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:18 AM
big-al

i post pics for how to do it,soon

Last edited by big-al; 12-04-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:56 AM
swoobyz

You mean like this?

This template is specific for MB Quart PCE-216, but the concept is similar for most other 6.5" speakers.

Pv
Old 12-08-2003, 06:09 AM
danotto

That is exactly what my installer did, but he used a plastic spacer and just ground it down to that angle. It worked great, with room to spare.

These speakers are simply amazing. I have never heard car audio sound so good. Warm, articulate, mid-bass totally present. It has yet to sound harsh in any way. Interesting thing is the balance of the whole system. With the old Eclipse speakers I could always tell where the sub was located, no matter where I set the crossover. With the CDT's I would swear the lows are coming from my dash. Amazing, truly amazing...

I will be visiting my installer again today to have him angle the tweets toward me a bit more. I had them flush mounted in the stock position, as I didn't want a harsh tweet to be aimed at me, but these things are SO SMOOTH I am not afraid of aiming them right at me. The most beautifull highs I have ever heard.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:11 AM
big-al

Default speaker spacers

Originally posted by swoobyz
You mean like this?

This template is specific for MB Quart PCE-216, but the concept is similar for most other 6.5" speakers.

Pv
Exactly ,but I highly recommend wood over plastic and dont forget to sealed them up after. also drill more holes (1/8') thru the OEM speaker grill.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:54 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

another way to mount new speakers without having to worry about the windows hitting them is to use the stock speaker mount. it is directly connected to the stock speaker but there is a simple solution to this. place the stock speaker face down on the floor (magnet facing up) and use your foot to pound the magnet to the ground. this will bust the stock speaker right out of the mount. worked great for me! and it also saved me the hassle of having to make new spacers. the only benefit of making new spacers is being able to angle the speakers so they face up more, but i'm enjoying the sound of my perfects anyhow.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:43 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by hndumafia
another way to mount new speakers without having to worry about the windows hitting them is to use the stock speaker mount. it is directly connected to the stock speaker but there is a simple solution to this. place the stock speaker face down on the floor (magnet facing up) and use your foot to pound the magnet to the ground. this will bust the stock speaker right out of the mount. worked great for me! and it also saved me the hassle of having to make new spacers. the only benefit of making new spacers is being able to angle the speakers so they face up more, but i'm enjoying the sound of my perfects anyhow.
I originally tried that myself, but my speakers did not fit snugly inside the stock speaker mounts.
The stock speaker mounts were also not tall enough for my magnets to clear the window.
I get just enough clearance because of BOTH the angle and the height...plus I get the sound focusing.

Pv