Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Adding aftermarket headunit to stock BOSE system

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM
dreman07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Adding aftermarket headunit to stock BOSE system

Hi everyone,

I am planning on adding an aftermarket headunit (Pioneer AVIC X930BT) to my existing stock BOSE sound system.

I have been very dissapointed with the stock sound system since I bought the car almost 2 years ago. I tried adding aftermarket speakers (Infinity Reference) to the front and rear, and also added a Rockford Fosgate Amplifier with a Rockford Fosgate 8" Punch subwoofer, using a LOC (line out converter) to connect the amp. However, that setup has turned out to sound worse than the stock BOSE system.

I decided it is time to change the headunit, which many people suggested was one of the main issues with the BOSE system. When I change the headunit, I will have aftermarket speakers (that I plan to power using the headunit), and an aftermarket sub (powered by the aftermarket amp). I will ensure that the amp isn't connected through the LOC, but rather through the RCA pre-amp outputs at the back of the headunit.

My question is, how do I power the speakers through the headunit (instead of buying a separate amplifier to power the speakers)? I know I need to by-pass the stock BOSE amp that powers the speakers currently. Do I need to run new speaker wire from the speakers to the back of the headunit? If so, which wires do I connect them to?

Also, I've read there is no need to buy the PAC harness if i don't use the stock amp. Which harness should I buy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on starting the headunit install in the next couple of weeks and will post pics of my install for those of you that are facing the same issues.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM
R350Zz33

ebay is your friend
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
dru_SA

if you have an after market head unit and aftermarket speakers (and aren't gonna use a amp for them), just run new speaker wire...

edit...just saw another post that the doors may be a pain in the **** though...

Last edited by dru_SA; 02-20-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: (*)(*)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I'm in the same boat, I'm actually removing the sub and amp (i guess both amps ) and want to run the 4 speakers off my head unit. I tried jumping pins on the cannon plug for the amp the other day without success. I really don't want to run speaker wire thru the car. Any ideas?