Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anyone have Polk Audio DB651S speakers in the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone have Polk Audio DB651S speakers in the doors?

I have some DB651S speakers from my Accord ive been wanting to throw on the Z.

I finally read the DIY since I knew it wouldnt be as straight forward as a Honda and it said I have to cut up the OE speaker to use that bracket. My question is not all speakers are the same and will these speaker mount to the OE bracket??
I dont want to cut up my OE speaker to find out the screw holes wont work.

Thanks all!!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM
DarkCreep

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SASC...l#overview-tab

I may just order these to avoid cutting up OE speakers. Anyone have experience?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
PlainWhite350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not too late to offer a suggestion... I'd buy (or make) mdf spacers rather than those plastic ones. Zenclosures sells a pretty good set, or you could make your own with some 3/4 or 1 inch mdf and a reciprocating saw. If you'd like, spray paint them with whatever you have lying around for a bit of water/moisture resistance. Also, I have a set of Polk DB's in the doors, tweeters mounted in pods at the bottom of the a-pillars, run active off a 100x4 PPI Phantom 900.4. They sound pretty good all things considered, but the door panel does block a whole lot of sound. Just a warning, if you run the DB's passive with the included crossovers, be very careful with how much power you feed them. Them crossovers get HOT.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
rebelscum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ +1000000 on doing something about moisture resistance..... I work as a car audio installer for over ten years now and I've had some cars come in that had mdf spacers. They rot after awhile. I've had them come in and turn to dust while I was swapping a speaker and I've had them come in and they were so bloated from moisture that I couldn't free the speaker from them. I agree that it SOUNDS like a good idea, but after seeing that you will never catch that in my car.....

If you are willing to drill your own screw holes they fit directly on the door without hitting anything..... I know because mine (same ones -polk db components) are screwed straight into the metal door with no spacer/adaptor. To be clear I didn't mount them that way, they were in the car when I bought it... When I swap them out to the pioneers I have, I'm going to build enclosures (yes- using mdf, but sealed in fiberglass lol) to improve the low end performance and get some actual midbass out of my doors......

Last edited by rebelscum; 07-09-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i have the db651's in my g and purchased the zenclosure spacers and i'm not happy with them...i like these ones linked above and will give them a shot
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
DarkCreep

Originally Posted by PlainWhite350z
If it's not too late to offer a suggestion... I'd buy (or make) mdf spacers rather than those plastic ones. Zenclosures sells a pretty good set, or you could make your own with some 3/4 or 1 inch mdf and a reciprocating saw. If you'd like, spray paint them with whatever you have lying around for a bit of water/moisture resistance. Also, I have a set of Polk DB's in the doors, tweeters mounted in pods at the bottom of the a-pillars, run active off a 100x4 PPI Phantom 900.4. They sound pretty good all things considered, but the door panel does block a whole lot of sound. Just a warning, if you run the DB's passive with the included crossovers, be very careful with how much power you feed them. Them crossovers get HOT.
http://www.zenclosures.com/Nissan-In...infinitisp.htm

I just seen those and if I wouldve seen them before, I would have ordered them before the universal ones.
I dont have a reciprocating saw but ill probably end up getting these in the future, might as well make use of my Crutchfield ones haha.

DB651S arent cross overs though, theyre shallow mount coaxial speakers. Ive read reviews that they pair really well with amps, although im not sure I want to run that much wiring in the Z. I was pretty content with the way they sounded in my Accord with a 12" sealed box in the back.

Pics will come Sunday when I install them. Sadly I still have the OE radio so sound difference wont be too drastic.