Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

ROEM NIS2 & Aftermarket Headunit Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 PM
RushNY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ROEM NIS2 & Aftermarket Headunit Wiring Question

The headunit is a Kenwood KDC-BT362U and I soldered most of the harness to the ROEM unit this afternoon.

The wiring and lack of certain wires confuses me, perhaps it's due to me not taking apart my dash and pulling the stock unit yet but am I going to find a blue antenna wire and dimmer wire inside the dash to connect them to? Also when I soldered the front and rear I only used high, no low as I didn't have the matching wires. Was I right in doing this? This is the factory bose amp and speaker/sub setup.

As you can see there are no blue or orange wires to connect from the headunit harness to the ROEM. Here are the wiring diagrams on both ends:

Last edited by RushNY; 04-23-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All Kenwood 16 pin harnesses have the same pin out. The only difference being some wires may be missing depending on the head unit.

Illumination wire (Orange) dims the head unit when your headlights are turned on. This way the head unit knows it's dark outside and dims the display so it's easy on the eyes. If the dimmer/illumination wire is not included, the head unit doesn't use it. It's not really necessary with a basic single din. These Kenwood's do though have and option in the menu to set the brightness on the display (usually only 2 settings), but they'll never change depending on the headlights. You wont need to connect this wire.

Pin 3 (Blue) and Pin 13 (Blue/White) on the Kenwood harness are remote wires. All they do is send 12v. Blue is usually reserved for Antenna Power, Blue/White is your Amp Trigger. Antenna Power sends 12v when you switch to radio, turns it off when you use a CD/MP3/Etc. Amp wire sends a constant 12v. In your instructions, they're listed on the same wire (blue/white). If you have a car with a power antenna (which most don't anymore), it will send power to lift the antenna. If you have an amp, it'll send it power. A LOT of people don't connect the Power Antenna wire because they think they don't need it and complain about terrible reception. The 350z doesn't have a power antenna, but needs power going to the antenna as there's a factory signal booster. Connect the Blue wire and the Blue/White wire on the PAC to the Blue/White wire on the Kenwood.

Last edited by bender; 04-24-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 AM
RushNY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bender
All Kenwood 16 pin harnesses have the same pin out. The only difference being some wires may be missing depending on the head unit.

Illumination wire (Orange) dims the head unit when your headlights are turned on. This way the head unit knows it's dark outside and dims the display so it's easy on the eyes. If the dimmer/illumination wire is not included, the head unit doesn't use it. It's not really necessary with a basic single din. These Kenwood's do though have and option in the menu to set the brightness on the display (usually only 2 settings), but they'll never change depending on the headlights. You wont need to connect this wire.

Pin 3 (Blue) and Pin 13 (Blue/White) on the Kenwood harness are remote wires. All they do is send 12v. Blue is usually reserved for Antenna Power, Blue/White is your Amp Trigger. Antenna Power sends 12v when you switch to radio, turns it off when you use a CD/MP3/Etc. Amp wire sends a constant 12v. In your instructions, they're listed on the same wire (blue/white). If you have a car with a power antenna (which most don't anymore), it will send power to lift the antenna. If you have an amp, it'll send it power. A LOT of people don't connect the Power Antenna wire because they think they don't need it and complain about terrible reception. The 350z doesn't have a power antenna, but needs power going to the antenna as there's a factory signal booster. Connect the Blue wire and the Blue/White wire on the PAC to the Blue/White wire on the Kenwood.
Thank you for the explanations of each wire!

Last edited by RushNY; 04-25-2015 at 09:21 AM.