Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How do I get to the rear spakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 05:06 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I get to the rear spakers?

Can I just pop that circle off or does the whole upper portion need to come off?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:35 AM
westover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do I get to the rear spakers?

Originally posted by ZU L8R
Can I just pop that circle off or does the whole upper portion need to come off?
The answer to your question for both coupe and roadster is the same, no you can't pop the circle off. It's clipped from the back. The solution to changing the rear speakers for the coupe and roadster is however very different. It is a time consuming but relatively easy install to remove the rear compartment in the coupe. Directions for that are scattered on many how-to forums.

The roadster is however a different beast. If you open the convertible hard cover and get the rear of the soft top in the "up" position you can look behind the curtain in the soft top holding area and actually see the front edges of the rear speakers. However there is not enough clearance to remove the old speakers and install the new ones.

I've received several opinions from various stereo installers about replacing the rear speakers in the roadster. They vary from, "no problem..it's easy" to " I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole." The problem seems to revolve around the plastic pieces that cover the "roll bars" behind the seats. Nissan implies you have to break the plastic covers to remove them and replace with new. Some have said, "we've never done it but I bet we can get the covers off."

If anyone has had a successful rear speaker replacement in the roadster, please fill us in on the details. As we all know the current Clarion rear speakers are of, shall we say, an inferior quality.

By the way the sub-woofer in both the roadster and coupe can be installed in the factory designed location without removing the rear compartment. I put a 10" Rockford back there with a relatively small amp and get pleasant listening bass. If you need to rattle the sheet metal I'm sure someone can give you the short course on BIG base.

Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:15 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visit this website, http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/rear_speakers/

It gives you step by step info on what youre looking for
Old 03-30-2004, 11:23 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by krnlikewh0a