Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Make a line/aux in for your 2003 Bose headunit – step by step guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:58 PM
zPilott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the bose hu, but it seems like one of you that has a vested interest in this could put in a switch or something so you could still use the casette, if you were of the sort who uses it. I have a fm modulator right now, and I installed the switch for it under the shift boot, so it is really easy to get to, but you can't tell it is there by looking.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:24 PM
MySunset350Z

do all FM modulators have on/off switches? mine doesnt. all i have to do is tune in to a certain radio frequency to get it to work.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:03 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out discountcarstereo.com for AUXNISS. It uses the 12 pin connector behind the Bose HU.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 AM
zPilott

I think there are some that work when they receive a signal. I had hoped that using the switch would result in a better signal when on, and less reduction in radio signal when off. Unfortunately, it does reduce my radio reception, though it is only noticeable on some radio stations.

one of these days I am going to replace it with the aux in that bluedragonz mentioned (but the 03 non bose version)
Old 04-03-2005, 08:50 AM
deb10042

@something fishy
Great job and very good idea!!!
I tested it this weekend with my Z (European model) and it workes perfectly! I even added some features:

You do not have to renounce on your cassette functionality if you put a little switch between the lines, you soldered to the tape unit. I did so and now, I am able to switch between using the Tape-button for really listening a tape or for listening to my MP3 connected to the new line in!

I found a way for fooling the head unit so that it thinks, there is a cassette in the tape unit.
On the left corner where you soldered your line in, there is a little black switch, that is released, if there is a cassette in an pushed, if there is no cassette in the tape deck.
I cut the contact on the back of this switch, soldered two lines on both sides where I cut it and put another switch onto these two new lines. I mounted both new switches (the one for "fooling" and the one for "cassette <> MP3) beneath the dash, as well as two golden Plugs for my new line in (cinch left/right).

If anyone is interseted how it looks, I can send pictures. As I am new to this board, I do not know yet, how to put pictures into my posting.

Cheers!

(Sorry for my awful English; I hope, everyone unterstands what I want to point out... )
Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 AM
MySunset350Z

your english is fine. now post some pics. lol. thanks.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
hypeiv

acree on this forum did a really nice FM mod install. He doesn't have the nav so he put the jack and the on/off button flush at the bottom of the nav pocket. He then just plugs his ipod into there and leaves it in the pocket. Its one of the fm modulators that plugs into the antenna input so it doesn't sound bad at all.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:47 AM
MySunset350Z

thats same same fm modulator i have. im just gonna try it out and see what happens. if it sounds bad, i can always go back and do this mod.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
something fishy

@deb10042

Thanks,

And thankyou for the enhancements. You have just solved the two issues that, judging from peoples' responses, are the main problems with this mod. It would be great if you could post pictures.

I'm glad that this is still running. I use the MP3 changer I installed into the Z every day for me it was 100% worth it. If an FM modulator works for you, great. If you can't (like me) find a decent one then this offers an alternative and once you've got over the shock of taking your headunit apart is very easy.

Cheers
Eric
Old 04-04-2005, 02:57 AM
deb10042

Ok, let's go (I'll do my best....in English, puuhhh ):

Picture one shows where I soldered the lines for line-in and for the switch that can be used to maintain tape functionality:

Name:  Line-inandswitch_k.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  157.8 KB

------------------

Next picture shows, where you can find the little switch within the tape deck, with the help of which you can fool the deck, thinking there is a cassette inside.

Name:  Tape-switch_k.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  156.1 KB

The pic was taken right before cutting the relevant contacts and soldering another two lines to them. These two new lines (later to be seen in green/green-black) carry a new switch, I mounted at the bottom of the dash. In fact, I used a switch, even if I found out later, that a pushbutton makes more sense!
The contact on the circuit board, that has to be cut, is marked in a red color; marked in a blue color, you find the two contacts, where you can connect the external switch to.

----------------------

Name:  Headunitback_k.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  139.2 KB

This pic shows three cables (in fact four...) coming out of my head unit. The first black one is the line-in for your MP3 player, the second black one is the tape-in. The green ones lead to the "fooling-switch".

-----------------------

Here is a little drawing of connecting all the cables to the switches:

Name:  Switches.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  35.2 KB

------------------------

And, last but not least, two pics, showing the results:

Name:  Cinchandswitches_k.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  Line-inMP3.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  177.9 KB

---------------------

Have fun!

Cheers

(sorry, uploading pictures seems not to be one of my favourite activities! Any ideas, how I can do better?)
Old 11-26-2005, 06:43 AM
atailor

Thanks a million for your posts. This looks really neat and solves my AUX problem for use with my IPOD.

I couldn't see any pictures from something fishy's original post. Does anyone have the original pics that go with the first set of instructions. Or are @deb10042 intructions enough?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
350Zorange

hi,

I am very interested in the step by step guide.
Unfortenately the original pictures don't seem to be online anymore.
Could someone repost the pictures or send them to me via EMail?

Thank you so much :-)
Old 12-30-2005, 06:27 AM
orions empire

Yes Please post original pictures...

OE
Old 12-31-2005, 04:00 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this mod to get the sounds from my car pc.

It is all good but I have to hear the cassette motor ticking all the times, maybe I should've disconnected the power to the motor as well..
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 AM
guy121

Original pictures aren't there like others have said, but the first pic from deb10042 seems like it explains it all. I'm just curious if you use the same ground for both the left and right channels?

Also I've opened up a tape cassette adapter before and it is made up of 3 wires. I figure left channel, ground, and right channel. Was thinking I might be able to just remove that from the cassette and use that wire as it will already have the 1/8"(I think) plug, rather than using two seperate RCAs and having to get an adapter for an ipod/mp3 player. The wires inside seem twisted with some shielding so that should be sufficient to keep out noise. Or should I go ahead and make my own out of some 24guage wire and hook it up to a stereo plug?

Just curious before I get started taking my car apart, in picture one which is Left channel, ground, and right channel? I can't see the writing because of the wire. I have a 2004.5 so I don't know if it'd be the same PCB inside the cassette player.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
guy121

Well I got it to work, and wow it sounds wayyyy better than a cassette adapter.

I know standard FM radio signals are only something like 64Kb/s and I don't think the fm transmitters really send much higher quality than that. Though maybe some of the higher end ones do better? However, from the reviews I've read all around the net, the FM transmitters don't see to be the most convienent and several people say the quality is not very good(supporting the idea that FM radio signals are probably only around 64Kb/s or 94Kb/s).

Wonder if we could get this as a sticky because of the amount of IPod posts being made every day. This is an inexpensive way of connecting IPods and other Mp3 players without buying the $100 adapter.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Notion

Great thread, but no piccies anymore.

I'm trying to do this today on my used '04 roadster that I just picked up. Hopefully the text descriptoins will be enough but if anyone has links to the old pics that would be great.

Notion
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Notion

Kick-*** mod.

Many thanks Something Fishy, I managed to pull it off first time and run the lines to some phono jacks in the flip up center console compartment. Now I can plug any external unit in and play it through the stock Bose system which gives me huge flexibility for the future as I have my eye on that space for a car pc.

Thanks for taking the time to share, a great blend of keeping the car stock and making it flexible enough for expansion.

Notion.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.. i wonder if it will work for the g35
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
s13SRmadness

wow, can't believe i've never seen this thread. i dont have the ability to do this mod, but i know someone who does... (poor friend/roomate)
the "line in" i just saw in deb10042s picture is for what? where would i buy a wire that i could plug into my ipod?
i currently also own a 350z and bought a wire on ebay for my nissan 240sx to play the ipod with a pioneer head unit. the wire that plugs into my ipod looks like this:
Name:  IMG_2879.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  76.5 KB
and it charges and plays my ipod.

is there any way to use a plug like that and have it charge and play the ipod???
maybe power it elsewhere?
i dont know, but i'm sure you guys may have an idea...
thanks to everyone in this thread that figured it all out.

Quick Reply: Make a line/aux in for your 2003 Bose headunit – step by step guide