Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Wiring/Cables, what kind? brand? what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:31 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring/Cables, what kind? brand? what to look for?

Obviously I'm a newb at this stuff.

What cables will I need and what should I get?

JL Audio 300/2 amppifier
Focal 165W components
Don't know what headunit yet, most likely one with DVD and a screen, so I can add on NAV later.

Thanks,
Victor
Old 10-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Zrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a decent twisted pair or shielded RCA. I used Rockford Fosgate Power Series Twisted pair which are cheap and seem to work fine. I have 0 noise in my system.

I also used StreetWires 12awg twisted speaker wire for everything. Connections to the speakers are soldered, w/ crimped/soldered spades to the X-overs.

Any screw down connections, like speaker wire to the amp, I tinned the wire ends with solder.

One thing, that you may not mind, but would bother me, is if the DVD screen was any lower then the NAV compartment. Something to think about next time your in your car.

Anyway thats my $.02
Old 10-04-2004, 07:44 AM
motown

Ya, what Z said. Buy good RCA interconnects. Monster, Lightning, RF, whatever your fancy. Just don't get the $5 cheap-o's. I use Monster Micro series and am 100% satisfied. Power wire gauge, consult amp's owners manual. Don't get cheap power wire either. Buy good quality copper. The more strands the better. Wire should flex VERY easily in your hands or it's cheap. Z's also right about the screen. If you want to be able to open your Nav. compartment while the radio's on, don't get a flip-up screen or it'll be in the way. 12 awg to the speaker crossovers should be great. If you want to save a buck, use 14 or 16 awg to the speakers from the crossovers. That's what I did for my 2-ways. They sound GREAT, no power loss. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:33 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Brands really don't matter but the key is to not buy the cheapest and don't waist money on the most expensive. I always have and always will use Stinger products (www.stinger-aamp.com). y far the highest quality and best performing wiring products.

If you don't want to spend a ton, I'd just recommend grabbing stuff from their HPM/Bullet line. Great quality, great prices (www.sounddomain.com), and great looks. Speaker wire just use 12 for sub wires, 16-18 for speaker wires, 4 gauge for amp power & ground and you'll be fine. Choose these based on price/colors. Again, I use Stinger since their wire is the easiest to use (very flexible, speakers wires clearly marked, and very sturdy).
Old 10-05-2004, 06:43 AM
BoostTed

I usually run Scosche for my power lines and speaker cables. I havent had a RCA cable in any of my cars for years.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:10 AM
stu46

Thumbs up

I use Scosche and JL.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:41 AM
JasZ

I used JL for power and Monster low noise low profile for RCAs to keep things neat. Used Monster speaker wire too.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:24 AM
MY350Z.COM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to go with Stinger for the misc stuff.

Victor
Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stinger rocks, I just ran a 0 gauge Stinger HPM power wire.

Its awesome. Thats not to say other stuff is bad, Monster, RF, Streetwires, Heck Lightning Audio are fine. Just be sure its think and has good connectors and is purdy (mine is blue).

Get good RCAs not cheap ones, it makes a difference, especially at long runs. Get fairly thick speaker wire.

DO NOT RUN SPEAKER WIRE NEXT TO POWER WIRE YOU WILL GET ALTERNATOR WHINE.

Ground it as well as you can, short ground, good connection.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:42 PM
MY350Z.COM

is it advisable to sand down the grounding point on the chassis so you get metal metal contact instead of paint?

just curious,
victor
Old 10-12-2004, 03:34 PM
leolufse

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
is it advisable to sand down the grounding point on the chassis so you get metal metal contact instead of paint?

just curious,
victor
Yes. Also, run another length of 4 gauge right along next to the ground cable from the battery to the frame. It is bolted to the upper part of the front fender.