Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

[PIC] My dream system is nearly done

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Monkey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious about the custom dash trim that you installed. Can you purchase those, or do they have to be made from scratch. I have my headunit, and I'm anxious to get everything else together before we do our audio install. The one you show in the pictures has a beautiful texture to it. I guess I also need to source an FM modulator.

-Jeremy
Old 01-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Toronto350Z

To 350boom.

There is one more aux input besides CD-changer input behind the Sony HU. In other words, you can hook up at least 2 different sound sources. I'm very positive that this HU can control 'Sony' XM radio without any problem.. or at least, you dont have to use FM modulator.

To Monkey Man.
You have to make the custom dash trim from scratch. Can't help with that.... But any reputable sterero shop should make it 'cause it is not a big job for them.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:40 AM
350boom

Originally posted by Toronto350Z
To 350boom.

There is one more aux input besides CD-changer input behind the Sony HU. In other words, you can hook up at least 2 different sound sources. I'm very positive that this HU can control 'Sony' XM radio without any problem.. or at least, you dont have to use FM modulator.

Toronto350Z, it's a shame you guys don't have XM up there. I really want to go with the 7700mdx with my install, but I can't do it unless it's compatible with XM.

Anybody out there tried to use the 7700mdx with Sony's XT-XM1 Satellite Radio receiver? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Trackbite

Toronto350Z,
Where did you find that HU? I've looked around and only managed to find it at www.melting-pot.com

I understand this HU is only sold in Japan. Did you have any trouble with it picking up U.S. radio frequencies?

Finally, does the NAV play DVD movies? If so, is it hardwired to the HU or does it transmit the signal to the reciever?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:08 PM
mart32

Default WTB bose HU

Hi toronto 350Z

you setup is very impressive...
im also looking to upgrade my sound system( focal 165k3, JL10W3 and phoenix gold amps waiting in my closet) as soon as my car arrives...db track comming late april

but i want to keep it looking stock and as you know, in the track model the HU does not come with the 6 disk dash charger.

so i was wondering if you want to sell your bose HU since you dont need it anymore.

if so keep me inform,. thanks

BTW i'm kind of new on this forum and my first language is french so don't think i don't know how to write ...i just doing my best
Old 01-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Toronto350Z

To mart32

Thanx for your comment. My first language is not English either.
I was gonna keep the Original Bose unit because I will need it when I sell my car in future. But if your offer is reasonable price, then I'm willing to sell. I guess u live in Quebec, do you? Then you don't have to pay tax. It's good thing (I live in Toronto) Just send me a Personal Massange. Thx.

To Trackbite.
You didn't read the whole thread carefully, did you? All information is attached to the thread.

Nav unit is CD-based so does not play DVD but PS2 does.
The Sony HU does have problem picking up US radio freq because the range ends up 90 Hz or something.(US radio freq range goes all the way up 108, doesn't it?) So.. You need the radio FM range modulator.

There are two ways to get this unit.
1. go to www.pricejapan.com
2. go to www.melting-pot.com

melting pot.com installs the FM range modulator for free.
But they charge you US$700 + shipping.

I bought it from pricejapan and send them US$600 including shipping cost.(They don't install Fm modulator to the HU)

So basically, you pay US$120 for FM modulator.

My suggestions is that.. If you really want the FM modulator, order the HU from melting pot.

If you want to save some money or you will install XM radio add-ons later, go with PriceJapan.

Good luck ya'll

Last edited by Toronto350Z; 01-14-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:37 PM
bigdog

Kudos, outstanding job, 2 questions, the dolar value of the system, and how weight did it add to the car.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:59 PM
TheOne

i got a question: when are we going to see more pictures??
Old 01-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Toronto350Z

2 X JL 10' Sub -> 2 x 14 lbs = 28 lbs

two JL amps -> 2 x 11 lbs = 22 lbs

custom inclosure = 40 lbs

Dynamat = 7 lbs

Bulkier Wires = 7 lbs.

Nav Unit + LCD = 5 lbs.

-> 109 lbs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a spare tire (32 lbs), Entire Tool Kit (9 lbs),cargo floor mat + plastic cover (1 lbs), bose amp(8 lbs) = 50 lbs

They are gone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
109 - 50 =

total 59 lbs (+- 5 lbs) gained.

If U go further on weight reduction, remove ur pre-silencer(4 lbs)

+59 lbs is not that bad but definately it will slow your Z tenth of second. But u get what u pay for. Great Sound And the other good thing is.. now, my Z's weight distribution is somewhere around 50-50???

Last edited by Toronto350Z; 01-14-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Toronto350Z

To TheOne.

About a month ago, Some idiot bumped my brand new 350z in the parking lot and I have been waiting for the new door part.(There is no door part in Canada so.. it was shipped from Japan a month ago) I got the phone call 2 days ago telling the parts was in. My Beutiful Z is in a bodyshop right now

It's gonna take a while to fix it. I'll post some more pix anytime next week.

U know what? The bodyshop gave me a Dodge Caravan as Rental car....

Last edited by Toronto350Z; 01-14-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:35 PM
TheOne

Originally posted by Toronto350Z
To TheOne.

About a month ago, Some idiot bumped my brand new 350z in the parking lot and I have been waiting for the new door part.(There is no door part in Canada so.. it was shipped from Japan a month ago) I got the phone call 2 days ago telling the parts was in. My Beutiful Z is in a bodyshop right now

It's gonna take a while to fix it. I'll post some more pix anytime next week.

U know what? The bodyshop gave me a Dodge Caravan as Rental car....
oh damn sorry did not know...sorry to hear hopefully youll get your car back soon
Old 01-16-2003, 08:27 PM
ahhhshucks

has anyone ever used an MD player or bought MDs.....is the sound quality better then a CD or is it just simply smaller....

My gf had bought me a new sony headunit for christmas, it was the one thats a kamelion then flips over for the controls, I was going to install it before I saw this....and I have to say I LIKE..
Old 01-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Whitebread

MDs soudn better than CD only cause they have a better transport and DAC than most CD players. In theory, a CD will sound better than an MD. ALthough, you need a good CD player to take advantage of the extra information the CD has over the MD (MD ussed a lossy compression format, so CD has better quality). A good home CD player (like 500 plus) will sound better than MD, provided your other equipment is on par. As for car audio.....I'm not sure.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:22 PM
rouxeny

I thought MDs were able to hold a fairly large amount of information because they compressed the files and deleted the parts of the signal that were considered inaudible to the human ear.

I always thought that CDs would sound better than MDs.

As for me and my wax-plugged ears, MDs and CDs sound pretty similar. MDs are much more portable also.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Whitebread

Um, I don't remember how much data a mini disk can hold in terms of bytes, but I can tell you that I will hold 80 minutes of the least lossly music the MD compression format allows. The second most lossly setting is LP2 and then LP4. I can't tolerate LP2 or LP4, it's just not good enough for me. MD may be very small, but the trade off in lack of space makes me want an MP3/Cd player. Thus I got a SlimX IMP-400. I've VERY happy with it.

O, also, the mini disk works on optical-magneto technology so I'd say it can hold somewhere around 400-500 megs, give or take.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:27 PM
BRICKS Z

Default hey toronto

i am up grading my original upgrades almost identical to yours i had seen the sony head unit before xmas and had to get it.
i am going with a 600.1 kicker amp and a 12" square kicker sub
the front and rear speakers are MB quart and the amp for them is my origanal mtx 5 channnel
Attached Thumbnails [PIC] My dream system is nearly done-mtx1.jpg  
Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 PM
BRICKS Z

Default kicker amp

kicker amp
Attached Thumbnails [PIC] My dream system is nearly done-kicker_amp_mono_kx6001lg.jpg  
Old 01-19-2003, 03:53 AM
BRICKS Z

Default sub

kicker sub
Attached Thumbnails [PIC] My dream system is nearly done-kicker_sub_s12l7_-l-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2003, 03:54 AM
BRICKS Z

Default speakers

mb quart
Attached Thumbnails [PIC] My dream system is nearly done-mbquart_speakers_dkd116-s-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2003, 03:55 AM
BRICKS Z

Default front speakers

mb
Attached Thumbnails [PIC] My dream system is nearly done-mbquart_speakers_dsd216_-l-.jpg  

Quick Reply: [PIC] My dream system is nearly done