Old 03-02-2003, 03:13 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh brilliant, I forgot the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-best-motoring.jpg  
Old 03-02-2003, 03:15 PM
rouxeny

I'm hesitant to post pics of the system in action, you'll see why in a minute. It's 7PM and dark out. I have a digital cam with no tripod and my hands can be a little shaky. The images I post are really not representative of the real image quality. I said the Farenheit wasn't all that hot, but it's MUCH better than I make it out in these pics.

Here's the main nav screen.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-nav-screen.jpg  
Old 03-02-2003, 03:17 PM
rouxeny

Here's some destination selection screen.

The Pioneer has voice recognition, which I just tried out as I took these pics. It seems to work pretty well. More about that to follow later.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-address-search.jpg  
Old 03-02-2003, 03:19 PM
rouxeny

Here's a map of the route for me to go from Hamden, CT to Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, my hometown.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-trip-home.jpg  
Old 03-02-2003, 03:20 PM
rouxeny

Here's a funny pic of the Best Motoring video in action. If you don't have this, I seriously suggest you go get it.

The way these guys drive is just amazing.

By the way, he's driving a Boxster. And he's in last place.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-engine-power-diff.jpg  

Last edited by rouxeny; 03-02-2003 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:25 PM
rouxeny

Hmm, I just got the blue screen of death and had to reboot.

I have more remotes in the car than I do at home.

The left is for the DVD, the middle the Nav, the right the screen. If I get a HU, that'll be another.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-remotes.jpg  
Old 03-02-2003, 03:27 PM
rouxeny

abz123 had a neat idea of rerouting the IR sensor with a fiber optic cable. It worked. Basically, we hot glued one side to the area of the IR port on the screen and ran the other end of the cable out a small pinhole in the middle of the sloped piece in front of the screen. You can see the fiber optic just sticking out right behind the nav latch. It works very well, you just point and click, albeit from a fairly short range.

Nice trick.

You might be asking what the point was seeing as we had to drill anyways. Well, number one, it's a cool idea, number two, the sloped latch piece is easily replacable.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:27 PM
rouxeny

Dammit, I did it again. Sorry.

Any specific areas people want pics of I'll try to get tomorrow.

I have no idea what kind of subs that guy in the first few pics used. My understanding is that even the W7 can fit in that box. I thought somebody had pics of that.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!-with-flash.jpg  

Last edited by rouxeny; 03-02-2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:53 PM
qirex

great show rou!

Nice system.

So baically, the voice comes over FM only?
Cant you add an external speaker so you can have TUNES AND NAV together?
Also, how do you like the Voice rec? does it work well enough to throw the remote in the "glove box"?

Either way, I'm happy you got it hooked up!
Nav is great, the DVD looks great too!
BTW I thought that the Pioneer lets you PLAY DVDs also? I know its a pain to switch DVDs and all...

Best motoring 6 was great! I loved the part when the old guy-san comes out and DISSES the Z to no end...my wife was cracking up (watching my pained expressions)

p.s. why are you out here? I'm moving to san diego in 3.5 mos...RPV is NICE (thats south of LA right?)
Old 03-02-2003, 04:00 PM
rouxeny

The nav voice comes through a separate speaker mounted above the rear view mirror. It's on whenever the nav is on, so you can hear it when either the radio or the DVD is on. It does not mute the radio though. The nav has the ability to do that I think, if the HU has a cell phone mute feature. I'll have to look into that in the future, but I don't think it's all that big of a deal. As it is, it's kind of odd having the voice come on suddenly. If the music were to stop at the same time, I think it'd be too much.

I'll get back to you on the voice recognition bit, I haven't really had the chance to fully test the system.

I know the Pioneer plays DVD's also. That, along with the voice, were the two reasons I went with that over any other system. I ended up putting in a second player because I wanted to have nav all the time and I didn't like the idea of having to swtich discs. Also, the second player has MP3 ability.

Why am I out here? I ask myself that every day. Hopefully, I'll be somewhere in So. Cal. in a year or so. SD would be nice.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:10 PM
qirex

are you practicing or still in residency/fellowship?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:39 PM
RANDY350Z

just out of curiousity, why didn't you stick w/ another Pioneer DVD unit and Pioneer monitor? Looks great though!
Old 03-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I may cut in here, I don't think the pioneer Monitor will fit in the stock location all that well....

Nazar
Old 03-03-2003, 12:42 PM
rouxeny

Yes, that was the first reason. I'm not sure if anybody has gotten a Pioneer monitor to fit in the stock cubby. If so, I haven't seen pics of it. I wonder if you could go with an Alpine monitor and Pioneer nav, but that seems excessively complicated.

The second reason was that I wanted to have MP3 capability, which the installed DVD player has. I don't think that the Pioneer ones do.

The third reason was price. A Pioneer DVD player probably costs at least twice as much as what I paid. I don't think that it's twice as good.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:05 PM
rouxeny

God, having a DVD player in the car is AWESOME! I'm sure many people ask why, seeing as you really can't watch it while you're driving. The big thing I see is that you can hear the full movie audio. I mean, if you like soundtracks, why bother, get the whole movie. I just had "Swingers" playing, you get to listen to some great lines.

The nav seems very good. I haven't really gone anywhere that I'm not familiar with, but I don't see it having any problems with it.

I'm not that impressed with the voice recognition. VR is still kind of a gimmick, the accuracy still isn't that good. The system does not allow you to select a specific address by voice. It definitely will not remove the remote. I don't see myself using it all that much.

Oh, if you think the Bose is bad, it's even worse through a FM modulator. To really get the whole effect of DVD, you'll definitely need an aftermarket stereo system.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:12 PM
MacGuru

Nice work Andrew. Look forward to seeing it in action at a local meet. From what I can see the install looks great, but one thing bothers me. As you stated, there are a lot of remotes. Is it really necessary to have ALL the remotes? Can you get a universal remote? How does the FM mod sound through the radio?

Post some more pics if you can. Love to see the more pics of the Nav in action. Thanks. -m
Old 03-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rouxeny

Oh, if you think the Bose is bad, it's even worse through a FM modulator. To really get the whole effect of DVD, you'll definitely need an aftermarket stereo system.
Andrew,

You know where to find me, I will be waiting
LOL

Nazar
Old 03-03-2003, 09:24 PM
KJ-350

That's a killer price on the Farenheit T-7001MHR! Where did you get it for only $280? I've been looking around and haven't found any place with that good of a price! And all the pics they have of them are different too? Most of the sites I've found have for the pic of the "Farenheit T-7001MHR" of just an LCD with a metal frame round it? Looks completely unfinished Vs yours.

Here is what most of them are showing the LCD as...

Old 03-04-2003, 06:36 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

congratz man, it looks really good, can't wait to see it in person at the meeting. by the way how much did it cost you finally?
Old 03-04-2003, 01:25 PM
rouxeny

Hmm, cost, a good question.

Nav unit $900
Screen $280
Jensen RF mod $40
Concept DVD player $180
Brackets and faceplate x 2 $80
Assorted cables (video, audio, fiber optic), installation, etc ~$400

There's also the added cost of
Farenheit DVD player $180
Duplicate Pioneer speaker and converter $110

Hopefully I'll get some of that money back.

I thought about getting some form of a universal remote. That would be fine for the screen and DVD remotes, but the nav one is kind of specific and it'd be hard to duplicate the buttons

KJ-350, those pics aren't of the correct screen.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Nav System Finally Installed!