Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

I got my M-PC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:34 PM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I got my M-PC!!!

Chazzg shipped it out and I received it yesterday. Lots of software to install and a few bugs to work out. I have DVD, mpeg, navigation, internet, all based in a windows 2K OS. I also plan on getting a tv card for it as well.

The computer is small and will fit just about anywhere you want to put it. I bet a few of you have women so big you could hide this thing in the crack of there ****!

No pic's just yet but I have to say the Xenarc screen is SWEET! I have played music video's on it and it looks good. One small bug I am still working on is trying to get the dvd player synced into the media player so the wireless mouse will handle all the controls.

Oh yeah, the keyboard and wireless mouse are also very nice. It took me a while to get the handle on the mouse but it works very good.

All in all I like it alot and can not wait to get it in my car. Once the bugs are gone I start ripping apart the dash to get it all in there.

Pic's will come and I will answer all questions (within reason)

Yahoo! the car is starting to come togeather!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:23 PM
spacemanspiff

Cool. looking forward to the after pics and more info on all the features!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:59 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did it cost you total?
Also, (of course) please, please post pics.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:28 PM
all_bark

I am so excited I had to share!
The music video's are sooooo sweeeeeeeet!!!!

Sounds great (on crappy headphones) and the picture quality is very good. The remote (wireless) lets you fast forward to another song or rewind to the previous song with the touch of a button. It also controls the volume (up, down and mute as well!) The keyboard is small but very usable so both peripherals work excellent!

I am still having dvd movie playing issues so back to work, just wanted to give you guys a little tease. (BTW - cannot quote the price but Chazzg will hook you up!) Oh, one more thing, Chazzg has been available almost non-stop for me for the past 24 hours while I have been debugging the unit. (he plans on making some changes to make it easier for the non-pc-techie to get one and just plug and play)

Tomorrow I start ripping apart the Z and start putting this thing in!

So far - GREAT, just FREAKIN GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-mpc1.jpg  
Old 05-10-2003, 03:26 AM
shagz

Default Problems faced by all_bark while setting it up, and fixes

These are the problems faced:
1) Do not use the provided usb keyboard until the entire OS is on and working. (Cost us 2 ½ -3 hours trying to figure out that one!)

2) Power supply was a bit intermittent, it was grounding itself out to the case so I removed it and put a better “buffer” between it and the metal housing that surrounds it. I used a product called JiffySeal which is used on homes to protect them from rain intrusion. It is a 6 mil sticky tar like paper and it worked perfectly. No more power supply issues. (I am currently building my own home in Pacific Beach CA.

3) Internet access – if it does not work initially for you check the bios to make sure it (Ethernet) is not disabled. I enabled it and internet was good to go. (2 hours to figure out!)

4) DVD – getting it to work properly with windows 2K. I am still having issues but feel confident the will be resolved shortly.

This is my response :
Why are you using W2K? That is more like NT and not well suited for multimedia, personal use. I would go with XP or even Win98.

I have a few suggestions on getting around the problems you mentioned:
1. Use a regular PS2 keyboard and mouse to begin with. Then switch to the USB devices after the OS is setup.
2. I'm not sure if using "6 mil sticky tar like paper" for insulation between the mobo and the case, is a good idea. What if the "tar paper" (sounds like dynamat), softens and melts all over your mobo/case from heat? Aren't there grommets/spacers between the mobo and the case? Grommets can be either metal or plastic, mounted on the points where the screws go into the mobo to hold it in place.
3. Internet access - hehehe....DOH !!
4. DVD - I bet it's becoz of the Win2K. XP has the drivers builtin for the most operations for DVD players.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:05 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WinXP was the upgrade of Win2K and NT's (like WinME was the upgrade for Win95, Win98) but just not built on a DOS platform. I've been using Win2k for about 3 years with no problems (can't say the same for WinXP)

Now, not sure what the DVD problem is. But if it's a comerical software (powerDVD, winDVD, etc..) It should have no problem running in Win2K. WinXP do not have drivers to play DVD, Mpeg2 requires licensing which will increase window's cost.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:19 AM
qirex

ughh....

too bad you cant build macintosh computers easily (and cheaply). I once did - but the mobos are HARD to come by.

I wanted to do something like this - but this sounds like a HUGE PIA to debug. I'll prolly just put an xbox or ps2 in my car, connect it to my alpine tme650 and have dvd/game and forego the e-net (I already have alpine NAV).

e
Old 05-10-2003, 11:21 AM
all_bark

EVERYTHING IS NOW WORKING PROPERLY!!!!

WORKS GREAT AND SOUNDS EVEN BETTER WITH CRAPPY PC STYLE HEADPHONES!!!!

The problems that I experienced should not be attributed to Chazzg but to my own ineptness at installing OS's and the like.

The power supply issue was probably not even a problem but another lack of insite by me (and notice from chazzg) that the power button not longer is operational. To turn on the computer (when in the house) you need to pull the plug from the rear of the pc, wait 5 seconds and then plug it back in! In a couple of seconds the opus power supply will turn everything on for you! (I only have the jiffy seal paper under the power supply - and is not touching it except for one or two small spots where there was a raise mount screw hole for some other type of equipment - I will also check it one more time to make sure it does not do any damamge before I put it in the car.)

Man, this system is DY NO MITE! As I get started with the install I promise to take pictures and try to let everyone know what do's and don'ts to do when installing.

ALSO - If you ever buy any type of computer without an OS, you must understand that a bunch of work is still required to get it to function properly. Getting the DVD to sync with the rest of the system for example. If you do not have the time or the know how to do this stuff, pay extra for an OS and let Chazzg do the install for you. BELEIVE ME, IT IS WORTH IT TO LET HIM DO IT FOR A FEW EXTRA BUCKS.

OK I am now off to the garage to open things up!

ALL IN ALL, I LOVE THIS THING AND CAN NOT WAIT TILL IT IS IN AND FUNCTIONAL!!!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:22 AM
chazzg

Originally posted by alphared
WinXP was the upgrade of Win2K and NT's (like WinME was the upgrade for Win95, Win98) but just not built on a DOS platform. I've been using Win2k for about 3 years with no problems (can't say the same for WinXP)

Now, not sure what the DVD problem is. But if it's a comerical software (powerDVD, winDVD, etc..) It should have no problem running in Win2K. WinXP do not have drivers to play DVD, Mpeg2 requires licensing which will increase window's cost.

We were trying to use WMP9 and get DVD support like XP has. Insted he went with Powerdvd, and the remote will control it just like WMP, so prob solved.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:29 PM
aggie300zx

Glad to hear you've got everything working! I've had mine in my car for a few months now and love it. Actually just got my Opus power supply hooked up this wekend and it works great!.

On the WMP9 issue, by default (for Win2000) it does not come with the software decoders to play DVD. A quick look into the help menu will identify that. If you want more info check out the site for WMP9. It has the feature, but requires more files.

As for the choice of Win2k, I agree with alphared. Although, I like XP, it takes such a large footprint, which was a concern for me. I've seen many a PC bog down when upgraded to XP.

For those, using Win2k (which if you haven't noticed is what I have on my Auto PC), you can actually disable a lot of resources that are not needed, freeing up memory and processor. This is not for the novice so be careful. This guys site, tells you everthing you need to know on this subject.
http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

As for Win98, don't even attempt it. I tried, Win98, WinXP (briefly) and settled on Win2k Pro. Win98 did not like the VIA drivers at all.

Now for some news...since I had everything apart I decided to see if I could mount the slim laptop DVD into the mail slot....well it worked. (see pic below) It worked out great, but was a pain in the butt since the length cable I was using gave me very little slack. I know I could have gone USB, but this saved me some dough. Yes, I know I got a little carried away with the dremel!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-img_0937.jpg  
Old 05-12-2003, 10:47 PM
all_bark

OK, it seems everything is pretty much smooth sailing right now. The system boots up fine when I start the car and it runs flawlessly while driving.

I have tested all the systems and they work well. Mpeg player (win media 9) plays both mpegs and music videos. There is a very nice setting that shows a smaller video with a 10 ban eq below it and your entire song list on the right hand side. The eq works good! I would post a pic but its late and I honestly forgot to take that one yet!

The audio is run through a FM Modulator, It works well but when I play lower quality videos I get a little whine in the speakers. I think I need to add a ground or something. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is important so I'll say it loud. SOUND QUALITY IS TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON THE QUALITY OF THE MUSIC VIDEO you download. High quality videos sound AWESOME, even on the bose system! No whine at all. Poor quality videos sound very poor. It seems the audio drivers (which have dobly digital settings) either make good sound sound even better or poor sound sound bad! (get it?!)

Navigation also is very cool. I needed to download drivers to get it to work in GPS mode but now it works sweet. Mine has both 2-D (top down) and 3-D (kind of from an elevated side angle, showing oncoming terrain!) It works in split screen but does not have audio (by choice!) (I know pic's coming)

Have not gotten wireless internet yet, still debating.

OK install.

The install of the screen was not so bad if you have the right tools. Here is my list of tools/suggestions coming off the top of my head.

Follow this link for the way to take off your stereo cabinet.
Thanks Scafreman for the DIY Center Console Removal
Here is my heads up on that instructional information:

Scafremon says in one photo,"Unplug the antennae, and the (2) radio wiring harness’s. These harness release by pushing in the
Tang on the top. I used the small screwdriver." This was somewhat difficult to remove for me. You get only a little movement of the case forward before those two connectors are released and it was a fairly tight space to get to into to push the conectors to release them. The buttons to push in are actually on the bottom of the connectors (closest to ground) when in its proper place. You will lift them by pushing up.

I then followed the instructions, provided by Chazzg (the builder/designer/inventor?) to put in the screen. The instructions are very long and in word (.doc) form so if someone can host it I can send it to you if Chazzg does not mind. Remember, if you get the 7" xenarc you will need to remove the case to install it (it fits perfectly and works perfectly!)

Here has a small section called CONNECTING CABLES that explains how to wire it. There are no pictures. I have taken a few and could post if requested but I do not want to be the bad guy if someone does something wrong because I wasnot "clear enough" and caused them to make a fatal error!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 PM
all_bark

OK, it seems everything is pretty much smooth sailing right now. The system boots up fine when I start the car and it runs flawlessly while driving.

I have tested all the systems and they work well. Mpeg player (win media 9) plays both mpegs and music videos. There is a very nice setting that shows a smaller video with a 10 ban eq below it and your entire song list on the right hand side. The eq works good! I would post a pic but its late and I honestly forgot to take that one yet!

The audio is run through a FM Modulator, It works well but when I play lower quality videos I get a little whine in the speakers. I think I need to add a ground or something. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is important so I'll say it loud. SOUND QUALITY IS TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON THE QUALITY OF THE MUSIC VIDEO you download. High quality videos sound AWESOME, even on the bose system! No whine at all. Poor quality videos sound very poor. It seems the audio drivers (which have dobly digital settings) either make good sound sound even better or poor sound sound bad! (get it?!)

Navigation also is very cool. I needed to download drivers to get it to work in GPS mode but now it works sweet. Mine has both 2-D (top down) and 3-D (kind of from an elevated side angle, showing oncoming terrain!) It works in split screen but does not have audio (by choice!) (I know pic's coming)

Have not gotten wireless internet yet, still debating.

OK install.

The install of the screen was not so bad if you have the right tools. Here is my list of tools/suggestions coming off the top of my head.

Follow this link for the way to take off your stereo cabinet.
Thanks Scafreman for the DIY Center Console Removal
Here is my heads up on that instructional information:

Scafremon says in one photo,"Unplug the antennae, and the (2) radio wiring harness’s. These harness release by pushing in the
Tang on the top. I used the small screwdriver." This was somewhat difficult to remove for me. You get only a little movement of the case forward before those two connectors are released and it was a fairly tight space to get to into to push the conectors to release them. The buttons to push in are actually on the bottom of the connectors (closest to ground) when in its proper place. You will lift them by pushing up.

I then followed the instructions, provided by Chazzg (the builder/designer/inventor?) to put in the screen. The instructions are very long and in word (.doc) form so if someone can host it I can send it to you if Chazzg does not mind. Remember, if you get the 7" xenarc you will need to remove the case to install it (it fits and works perfectly!)

He has a small section called CONNECTING CABLES that explains how to wire it. There are no pictures. I have taken a few and will add them to the word doc if hosted.

till I have more time ........
Old 05-13-2003, 05:44 AM
abz123

>>The audio is run through a FM Modulator, It works well but when I play lower quality videos I get a little whine in the speakers. I think I need to add a ground or something. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is important so I'll say it loud. SOUND QUALITY IS TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON THE QUALITY OF THE MUSIC VIDEO you download. High quality videos sound AWESOME, even on the bose system! No whine at all. Poor quality videos sound very poor. It seems the audio drivers (which have dobly digital settings) either make good sound sound even better or poor sound sound bad! (get it?!)<<

Start with something that cost nothing first. If it's just select audio giving you problems, trying lowering the computer volume and increasing the stereo volume. I set my computer volume at about 60%-70% of max. Don't ask me about the science of it...I don't know. Play around with the sound levels of the computer and stereo to give optimum performance.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:48 AM
all_bark

OK here are some pic's:

starting with the easy to use interface. I chose to use a sunset for my mainscreen. the main screen photo can be changed easily.
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-interface.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 09:49 AM
all_bark

here is the win media player 9 in full screen mode.
(pic's are slightly blurry because of flash. screen itself is PERFECT!)
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-wmed9fs.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 09:50 AM
all_bark

and another:
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-wmed9fs2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 09:51 AM
all_bark

here is the small screen mode with EQ and song playlist on the right. (sweet!)
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-wmed9ss.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 09:52 AM
all_bark

here is the navigation in split screen. It is fully adjustable:
Either way close to your position (one block radius) or far out from your position (all of south west US for example)
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-nav.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
all_bark

finally for today are the two holes I made in the glove box for wires and air circulation. This one is on the rear of the glove box (toward the center of the car and midway from top to bottom)
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-gbhole2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 10:01 AM
all_bark

and this one is on the center side of the glove box (middle of car, opposite of passenger side) middle from front to back and about halfway from top to bottom.

Notice the 4 port usb hub on the right? I hot glued it down so I can connect periperals quick and easy right there.
Attached Thumbnails I got my M-PC!!!-gbhole1.jpg