Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Blog: Upgrade to full active front stage & more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blog: Upgrade to full active front stage & more...

If the mods have a better place for this post, please move and accept my apologies.

I have caught the bug to upgrade after only 1 year after my original install, I'm beginning to think this is a clinical illness. Anyway, I got the idea to go full active and at the same time I want to play guinea pig for a new subwoofer format that has a very promising future. I would like to use this post as sort of a blog of progress and to gather feedback on my ideas. It will take a couple months to gather all the pieces needed and to do the install since I have a limited amount of time on the weekends to work on things.

My goal for this is to go full active and to achieve improved SQ on an added budget of $1000 over what I've already spent.

Anyway, on to the specifics....

My current system:
Headunit: Eclipse CD5000
iPod Adapter: Eclipse iPC106
Amplifier (comps): Eclipse XA2000
Amplifier (sub): Eclipse XA1000
Front Speakers: Diamond Audio D661S
Subwoofer: Diamond Audio D610D2
Door Pods: Zenclosures Door pods
Sub Box: XtremeKustoms 1-10" enclosure

My proposed system:
Headunit: Eclipse CD5000
Active Crossover: MA Audio HK3X
Amplifier (tweeters): Eclipse XA2000
Amplifier (woofer): Eclipse XA2000
Tweeters: Seas H1189
Woofers: Silver Flute W17RC38
Subwoofer: Tymphany LAT500
Door Pods (woofer): Wicked CAS Door pods
Pods (tweeter): Custom
Sub Box: Zenclosures understrut box

Preliminary thinking is woofers in the Nazar pods and tweets mounted in custom pods as far forward in the foot wells as I can get them while still being able to aim them properly. I will be using the parametric EQ and time alignment in the Eclipse CD5000 headunit. The time alignment will help make up for the separate mounting locations between the woofers and tweeters. I don't expect miracles from the EQ in the headunit, but hopefully I can achieve a somewhat flat response....if not I will add an outboard EQ down the road. I will also be adding the Sirius tuner and HD radio tuner to the Eclipse CD5000 headunit down the road to hopefully take advantage of the higher definition achieved in the efforts put forth by this project.

Here is a rough schematic (Updated 1/22/07)
Please excuse my crude photoshop skills.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-22-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Let me know if you start a support group for this addiction. I'm sure I can be a premier member.

That's an interesting sub.... More info?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
Let me know if you start a support group for this addiction. I'm sure I can be a premier member.

That's an interesting sub.... More info?
Here's all the info:
http://www.tymphany.com/categories/tymphany-lat

Tymphany, in case you are not aware, is the parent company to Vifa/Peerless/ScanSpeak - some of the best drivers in the world and used in countless manufacturers' speaker configurations.

Alpine used this sub (I think the LAT700) in a box of theirs with an onboard PDX amp. It got rave reviews from Car Audio Magazine.
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...fer/index.html

I'm going back and forth between the LAT500 and LAT700. I have enclosure volume questions in at Tymphny, just waiting on a response. Who knows, this may sound awful. But at least we will KNOW.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-12-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm rooting for you.

<------- Big Fan of using rare SQ based equipment.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:46 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I'm rooting for you.

<------- Big Fan of using rare SQ based equipment.
Thanks Kwame, I look forward to opinions/criticism from you as well as others during my build.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:03 AM
StreetOC192

I have a dilemma guys. And it has to do with the active crossover.

Back in the day a nice PPI active crossover with high quality componentry, and the settings were meant for a full active system with tweeters on high pass, mids on band pass, and subs on low pass.

Today, I am struggling trying to find a good quality 2 or 3 way crossover to do what I need it to do.

What I've looked at:
AudioControl 6XS
Nice high quality unit. I DO NOT like the module idea. This means any time I want to tweak frequencies I have to go to an AudioControl dealer to buy new modules? That's cr@p!

Arc MX3
I have no Arc dealers anywhere near me and nobody will sell online. I'm not sure the MSRP on this unit, but if anyone has an ARC dealer near them and could check on this for me I'd be very grateful. I'm thinking this would be my best option if I could get my hands on one.

Kicker KX3
This is probably my most viable and flexible option. Numbers look good, although I am doubting the build quality of Kicker these days.

MA Audio HK3X
The most flexible I have found. Will do exactly as I need it to do, but s/n is only 80dB. That's garbage!

Lanzar OptiX3B
Another very flexible option and This will do exactly what I want it to do as well. This would probably be the best "budget" option. but if this unit runs about $100 and I can get a better SQ unit for around $150, I will go for the better SQ unit.

Any input from anybody?

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-14-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

did you decide on Morel's or not? i was sitting in my jeep this morning day dreaming about putting morel 3-way's in there since it has a 3" in the dash
Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 AM
StreetOC192

No, I was going to go 3-way in the front, but decided to stay 2-way for now. 2-way is just so much easier to plan and tune. Going with a tweeter by Seas and mid woofer by Silver Flute.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
did you decide on Morel's or not? i was sitting in my jeep this morning day dreaming about putting morel 3-way's in there since it has a 3" in the dash
Do it!

Off-Topic: When are you spinning again?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
doug

Do it!
problem is i am trying to spend as little time as possible in the Jeep.. so i can't even justify..

i even bought to Ecler Battle Bridges for my mixer so i can just carry my CDJ's and Mixer with two bags in the Z.. and i don't need to carry my long *** cofin driving my Jeep

Off-Topic: When are you spinning again?
working with a couple promoters.. i will let you know
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I have a dilemma guys. And it has to do with the active crossover.

Back in the day a nice PPI active crossover with high quality componentry, and the settings were meant for a full active system with tweeters on high pass, mids on band pass, and subs on low pass.

Today, I am struggling trying to find a good quality 2 or 3 way crossover to do what I need it to do.

What I've looked at:
AudioControl 6XS
Nice high quality unit. I DO NOT like the module idea. This means any time I want to tweak frequencies I have to go to an AudioControl dealer to buy new modules? That's cr@p!

Arc MX3
I have no Arc dealers anywhere near me and nobody will sell online. I'm not sure the MSRP on this unit, but if anyone has an ARC dealer near them and could check on this for me I'd be very grateful. I'm thinking this would be my best option if I could get my hands on one.

Kicker KX3
This is probably my most viable and flexible option. Numbers look good, although I am doubting the build quality of Kicker these days.

MA Audio HK3X
The most flexible I have found. Will do exactly as I need it to do, but s/n is only 80dB. That's garbage!

Lanzar OptiX3B
Another very flexible option and This will do exactly what I want it to do as well. This would probably be the best "budget" option. but if this unit runs about $100 and I can get a better SQ unit for around $150, I will go for the better SQ unit.

Any input from anybody?

RF 360.2

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi...9;t=000653;p=0
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by 350zspl
Yeah, I was looking that over. It's just a bit more than I was looking to spend this go around. I may consider it still.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I was looking that over. It's just a bit more than I was looking to spend this go around. I may consider it still.
confirming we are talking 360.2 and not 360.1
you still need a palm pilot to make adjustments

my understanding is you get 32 levels of adjustment for each frequency

it is far superior to a JL clean sweep

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4982

aint cheap but might be the best choice hands down
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
doug

Originally Posted by 350zspl
confirming we are talking 360.2 and not 360.1
you still need a palm pilot to make adjustments

my understanding is you get 32 levels of adjustment for each frequency

it is far superior to a JL clean sweep

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4982

aint cheap but might be the best choice hands down
thats hot
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by doug
thats hot
Yeah, it is. But is it $450 hot? I don't need the time alignment and I may not need the EQ section, all I really need is the xover section.

Good news is I think I found the crossover that I am going to get (one of 2 not listed above). More to come when I purchase.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
doug

Yeah, it is. But is it $450 hot? I don't need the time alignment and I may not need the EQ section, all I really need is the xover section.

Good news is I think I found the crossover that I am going to get (one of 2 not listed above). More to come when I purchase.
i got googly eyes looking at it.. not sure if you would need it.. but it sure is purdy..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM
StreetOC192

OK, did some reading on the RF 360.2 and the Alpine Imprint standalone. They are both full-featured and offer great expandability. I'm just having a hard time grasping the fact that my headunit's volume **** is rendered useless and volume control has to be done via the outboard processor.

I think I will (for now at least) upgrade my headunit to the Eclipse CD7100. This will give me 3-way crossover, time alignment, PEQ, and auto eq tuning capabilities. I will be able to keep the iPod adapter I already have and hopefully the plugs are the same as my CD5000 so it'll be a quick swap.

I never realized how FEW interactive processors there are out there that offer 3-way crossovers. Even the Alpine Status F#1 only has a 2-way crossover.

EDIT:
The only other option that I would consider is the Alpine CDA-7998, but I'm leary about the motorized faceplate and buying a used unit that is already several years old. There is one on ebay right now that looks in good condition though. I have mixed feelings about the 1.5 DIN face size.
Here's what the unit looks like:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d3zf051...x?I=500CDA7998

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-17-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
StreetOC192

I have just placed my order for the LAT500. I can't wait for it to arrive. I will get some pics and post them up as soon as it comes in.

So the revised overview looks a little like this:
My proposed system:
Headunit: Eclipse CD7100
Amplifier (tweeters): Eclipse XA2000
Amplifier (woofer): Eclipse XA2000
Tweeters: Seas H1189
Woofers: Silver Flute W17RC38 (although I may extend my budget to get ScanSpeak Revelators)
Subwoofer: Tymphany LAT500
Door Pods (woofer): Wicked CAS Door pods
Pods (tweeter): Custom
Sub Box: Zenclosures understrut box
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Had you considered the Alpine 205/701 combo?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
Had you considered the Alpine 205/701 combo?
I wasn't looking at dropping that much cash, considering I already have what I feel is a pretty decent SQ headunit (Eclipse CD5000). I really wanted to just add an outboard active crossover. But there are slim pickings of good SQ units these days.

Here are the processors I looked at and my thoughts on them:

Alpine PXA-H701 -
I really didn't want to drop $500 for this PLUS additional for any of the headunits or the standalone controller for it.....the combo would push close to $1000.

Alpine Status F#1 -
The headunit nor the processor have a 3-way crossover, just a 2-way. For such a high-end unit, this is a real disappointment.

Eclipse CD7000 or CD7100
The CD7100 I can get for around $500, the CD7000 I found for $299 brand new with free shipping. They both have the same 3-way crossover and EQ system. Then I could try to sell my CD5000.

Alpine PXE-H650 -
Standalone Imprint processor. Good price for what you get, but it is really geared more toward adding amps and comps to a factory headunit. It lacks low level inputs and you HAVE TO control volume from the Imprint and NOT from your headunit.

Rockford Fosgate 360.2 -
High price, need a pda or laptop with bluetooth, and you HAVE TO control volume from the Imprint and NOT from your headunit.

Pioneer DEQ-9200 -
This was a viable option, but it would bother me having 2 different manufacturer units stacked in my dash.

Alpine CDA-7998 -
As mentioned above, I'm leary about the motorized faceplate and buying a used unit that is already several years old. I have mixed feelings about the 1.5 DIN face size. Lacks most new technology such as a nice iPod interface.

Quick Reply: Blog: Upgrade to full active front stage & more...