Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

sintaxeror's build log - tons of PICS/No 56k!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Keep the pics coming!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
sintaxeror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE 3/18/08 Evening

Well despite what I said earlier I actually got a little done today on the enclosure..

First order of business today was to figure out some kind of trim ring for the sub, since I am not flush mounting..
I don't have a router to make perfect rings, so I will actually have to farm this part of the project out...

Real designers don't need expensive engineering tools, real designers spec their parts out in MSPAINT.

eD, god bless their hearts, actually accepted this and agreed to make the ring for me.

This is what the foam looked like today, all cured.

And after a little carving..

and sanded flush..

Lets see how that curve cloth conforms to this box...

Another shot..

You know.. if the cloth will suffice the filling and sanding will be WAY easier... So I figured I'll give it a shot with one layer to try at first.. not to mention I can do the top and side all in one piece!

So lets give it a shot... I want the box to stay propped up without wobbling, so I added some weights to keep it still..

Weights went in through the terminal cutout.. Then I trimmed up some of the extra cloth.

Getting ready...

Covered in resin.. man that was way easier than chop mat. Just paint on and roll out the bubbles..

Shot of the other side...

So the idea is to see what its like cured.. and if it built some significant strength I will add a few more layers.. if not, I'll go back to the chop mat.
Should I go this route, I am going to have so much chop mat left over.. anyone in the tampa/st. pete area want to buy some cheap chop mat?

Another thought I had while doing this.. carbon fiber would be EASY and I would do that if I had anything else in carbon fiber in my car.. but I am not big on it like others are. So, what do you guys think?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dude this is the coolest **** EVAR!!!

MAD PROPS TO YOU MY FRIEND!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:39 PM
ghost

Lookin good!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
So the idea is to see what its like cured.. and if it built some significant strength I will add a few more layers.. if not, I'll go back to the chop mat.
Should I go this route, I am going to have so much chop mat left over.. anyone in the tampa/st. pete area want to buy some cheap chop mat?

Another thought I had while doing this.. carbon fiber would be EASY and I would do that if I had anything else in carbon fiber in my car.. but I am not big on it like others are. So, what do you guys think?
In my experience with glassing, I think you should continue to use the cloth on the outside. Chopmat is good for building thickness, but not for a finished product. 3 layers of glass on top of the fleece you did should be enough strength for this enclosure. after the 3rd layer, I would mix a little resin with some body filler and use that to get your final contour/shape/smoothness.

As easy as it seems, carbon fiber cloth is not as easy to work with as fiberglass cloth. The weave can very easily get messed up and the final product will not look good. It's a good experience to try if you ever have the chance though.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:38 PM
sintaxeror

Disaster Strikes! eD accidentally sent me the wrong sub for replacement of the first 11o that I got. instead they sent me an 11k.. which I then used for mock up.

Cross your fingers that the 11o will fit (magnet is much bigger)... Hopefully they can get me an 11o quickly =/
Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
cbr900son

Disaster Strikes! eD accidentally sent me the wrong sub for replacement of the first 11o that I got. instead they sent me an 11k.. which I then used for mock up.

Cross your fingers that the 11o will fit (magnet is much bigger)... Hopefully they can get me an 11o quickly =/
oh noes!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
disgookonfiya

great write up...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
sintaxeror

So.. I cut out part of the hole in the sub and did some measuring.
I am 90% sure the 11o will not fit. =/

I am pretty upset... I guess I could just use the k, but I really wanted to use the o. I'm not sure the clearance is there to modify this box by just adding another ring on top and blending it.. I would have to change the mounting angle I think to fit the o... so I dont know. maybe have to start from scratch? Ugh. This is just bad luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably recoup the cost of building from scratch by selling that box if there's no other way.

If the new sub doesn't fit... build another box. Reading your project log leads me to believe you're the type of person who wouldn't be happy for settling with something "almost as good".

Just have to say it again... amazing build.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
cbr900son

So.. I cut out part of the hole in the sub and did some measuring.
I am 90% sure the 11o will not fit. =/

I am pretty upset... I guess I could just use the k, but I really wanted to use the o. I'm not sure the clearance is there to modify this box by just adding another ring on top and blending it.. I would have to change the mounting angle I think to fit the o... so I dont know. maybe have to start from scratch? Ugh. This is just bad luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
IMO ur putting alot of work in ur system dont compromise now. Use the o
Old 03-19-2008, 04:26 AM
StreetOC192

Wait for the O to come in before you get too stressed out about it. It may fit as-is, or may just need some slight modding to fit.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Rob_Quads

Just realised your going for 10s - I went with 8s for the reason you are finding - hard to fit in decent 10s due to thier magnets etc.

More than likely I will be changing my setup this year for a nice SQ 10"
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by MDK
You could probably recoup the cost of building from scratch by selling that box if there's no other way.

If the new sub doesn't fit... build another box. Reading your project log leads me to believe you're the type of person who wouldn't be happy for settling with something "almost as good".

Just have to say it again... amazing build.
Yeah.. I definitely do not want to settle.. Not sure I want to sell this box. I think worst case scenario I have to cut the top off and re-foam, re-fleece... maybe a weekends worth of work?

Originally Posted by cbr900son
IMO ur putting alot of work in ur system dont compromise now. Use the o
I agree.

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Wait for the O to come in before you get too stressed out about it. It may fit as-is, or may just need some slight modding to fit.
Well, the story is this.. I got an 11o, it was scuffed up so eD sent me a new sub with a shipping label to send back the old sub (great company!). Unfortunately, they sent me the k, which I unwittingly used to mock everything up... So I still have the original O.. I will talk to eD tonight to see if they will let me use it for mock up while waiting for a new one... That being said, I am 95% sure it will not fit as it, and I think the mounting angle will need to be changed rather than just adding an extra ring for space. =/ We'll find out for certain this evening.

Originally Posted by Rob_Quads
Just realised your going for 10s - I went with 8s for the reason you are finding - hard to fit in decent 10s due to thier magnets etc.

More than likely I will be changing my setup this year for a nice SQ 10"
I am certain the 11o will fit.. just not with this mounting angle. =/

thanks for all the encouragement guys! Eventually I will get this thing right!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
StreetOC192

Well, the story is this.. I got an 11o, it was scuffed up so eD sent me a new sub with a shipping label to send back the old sub (great company!). Unfortunately, they sent me the k, which I unwittingly used to mock everything up... So I still have the original O.. I will talk to eD tonight to see if they will let me use it for mock up while waiting for a new one... That being said, I am 95% sure it will not fit as it, and I think the mounting angle will need to be changed rather than just adding an extra ring for space. =/ We'll find out for certain this evening.
Well I have an idea for you if you find the magnet hits the side of the enclosure. I'll keep my eye on here for status.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Man, that is alot of work! Keep up the good work...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Well I have an idea for you if you find the magnet hits the side of the enclosure. I'll keep my eye on here for status.
I was thinking if it hits the side just a little I can grind out some room and then add glass to the other side for strength... is that similar to what you were thinking? I hope its that simple, but I am pretty sure that I am going to need more clearance than that... We'll find out this evening!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
cbr900son

I was thinking if it hits the side just a little I can grind out some room and then add glass to the other side for strength... is that similar to what you were thinking? I hope its that simple, but I am pretty sure that I am going to need more clearance than that... We'll find out this evening!
Im thinking u could make another ring but angle it so one side is maybe 1/2" and the other side is 1/4" not sure just a idea that poped in my head.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by cbr900son
Im thinking u could make another ring but angle it so one side is maybe 1/2" and the other side is 1/4" not sure just a idea that poped in my head.
Yeah.. I gave that a thought myself.. but 1) I don't think I have the tools to make that well, and 2) that would make it really hard to bolt the sub down with hurricane nuts. =/
Old 03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
sintaxeror

UPDATE 3/19/08 Night

Well, I'm sure you all are anxious to see what happened today... so lets start from the beginning...

This morning as I was leaving for work, I found a note on my door. Management here at my complex is not happy with me working on my car in the parking lot, and fiberglassing on my front porch.

At this point in today's update, life has given me lemons and I have made lemonade.

I spoke with them this afternoon, and got them to allow me to rent one of the garages we have here for a month... Having to pay for this sucked, but its not all bad.. I should be able to get a lot more done now with a garage. Also I get my living room back, which is nice.

Here is my new workspace..

I cut out most of the hole with a sharp knife..

Then trimmed it flush with the dremel...

Moment of truth... here is the test fit..

As expected.. it doesn't fit =/ Here is another shot illustrating..

It doesn't look like much of a gap here... but its more than a half inch. Thats more than I am comfortable just adding a ring to and trying to mold it in... looks like I will have to do something more drastic.

I was able to rip off a lot of the cloth since I hadn't yet trimmed the excess off..

Took out some of the ring supports..

So, at this point it is important to note that once again, life has given me lemons.. although this time I have chosen to mutilate the lemons with a dremel and then beat the **** out of them with a hammer.

Cut the ring off..

Cut some more and knocked some off with a hammer...

Knocked the rest of the top off...

Sanded everything back down.. does this look familiar to anyone else?

Then gave it a quick wash to get all the dust off..

So tomorrow I go back to the foam... here we go again. Now I need to calm my nerves after wrecking a weeks worth of work...

Although.. watching my Gators in NIT doesn't do anything to make me any happier.

Here we go again.. hope you guys stay along for the ride!

Quick Reply: sintaxeror's build log - tons of PICS/No 56k!