Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Amping mids, tweets, and full ranges

Old 06-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Lt_Ballzacki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amping mids, tweets, and full ranges

I have a couple quick question about amping various speakers.

- If you are running tweeters with passive crossovers, can you run them straight to the amp at 4 ohms each(referring to these)?Can you run them in parallel like you would subs to lower the impedance load or would this mess up the crossover point?

- When amping mid-range drivers, how do you cut both the high and low frequencies (eg. i need the range 85-5000Hz)? I understand HP and LP filters with subs and tweets but how does this work with a mid-range?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:13 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt_Ballzacki
I have a couple quick question about amping various speakers.

- If you are running tweeters with passive crossovers, can you run them straight to the amp at 4 ohms each(referring to these)?Can you run them in parallel like you would subs to lower the impedance load or would this mess up the crossover point?

- When amping mid-range drivers, how do you cut both the high and low frequencies (eg. i need the range 85-5000Hz)? I understand HP and LP filters with subs and tweets but how does this work with a mid-range?
Look up "audio band pass filters", that'll do the trick for the mids. Available at many different (multiple) crossover points to suit your set up.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Lt_Ballzacki

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Look up "audio band pass filters", that'll do the trick for the mids. Available at many different (multiple) crossover points to suit your set up.
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. Although I am probably just going to get an active xover and use the hp on that and the lp on the amp.

Edit: I figured out this won't work because my mids need a low pass that will go 5k- which is nonexistent. Could you link me to a few bandpasses, I am having trouble finding any.

Another question though...

If you use an active crossover on a speaker with a built in passsive one, will the passive xover points be messed up? Would it be better to simply use the passive crossover?

I'm just trying to crossover this mid. Could I just do a highpass at 85 hz. It would roll off anything below 85 but the driver would distort anything above 5k?

Last edited by Lt_Ballzacki; 06-24-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt_Ballzacki
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. Although I am probably just going to get an active xover and use the hp on that and the lp on the amp.

Edit: I figured out this won't work because my mids need a low pass that will go 5k- which is nonexistent. Could you link me to a few bandpasses, I am having trouble finding any.

Another question though...

If you use an active crossover on a speaker with a built in passsive one, will the passive xover points be messed up? Would it be better to simply use the passive crossover?

I'm just trying to crossover this mid. Could I just do a highpass at 85 hz. It would roll off anything below 85 but the driver would distort anything above 5k?
OK, the difference between active and passive crossovers in an audio system are generally that active is powered and used BEFORE the signal reaches the amp, therefore, the amp gets only the frequencies the amp's separate channels are meant to boost, thereby working more efficiently than having the amp try to boost a wider range of frequencies than it needs to.

A passive crossover, OTOH, is "usually" placed in-line with the speaker AFTER amplification to protect the speaker from having to try and reproduce a range of frequencies outside of its core competence, e.g., keeping mids from having the try and reproduce <50Hz or >5k Hz. (Or whatever the rating happens to be).

So, to answer your question about active vs passive set up "messing up the crossover point".... NO, a passive crossover doesn't ever change as it's "SET" at a particular pass frequency, e.g. low, high, band.

Net result is that you should be able to send ONLY the frequencies you need amplified to the amp using the active crossover points BEFORE amplification and the frequency out isn't changed. 85-5k IN, 85-5k OUT.

If the RockyFoz has a built in passive crossover, you're covered as its already protected from frequencies above below it's operating range. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't use the active ahead of the amp. Helps to produce much cleaner sound out of the amp without the extraneous frequency garbage.

EDIT: Just realized you asked for specific models.... this one (and others by Rockford Fosgate) are made for the specific speakers (mids) you're working with: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PP4X...nch-PP4-X.html

And this for component tweeters: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PP8X...nch-PP8-X.html

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-25-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Lt_Ballzacki

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, the difference between active and passive crossovers in an audio system are generally that active is powered and used BEFORE the signal reaches the amp, therefore, the amp gets only the frequencies the amp's separate channels are meant to boost, thereby working more efficiently than having the amp try to boost a wider range of frequencies than it needs to.

A passive crossover, OTOH, is "usually" placed in-line with the speaker AFTER amplification to protect the speaker from having to try and reproduce a range of frequencies outside of its core competence, e.g., keeping mids from having the try and reproduce <50Hz or >5k Hz. (Or whatever the rating happens to be).

So, to answer your question about active vs passive set up "messing up the crossover point".... NO, a passive crossover doesn't ever change as it's "SET" at a particular pass frequency, e.g. low, high, band.

Net result is that you should be able to send ONLY the frequencies you need amplified to the amp using the active crossover points BEFORE amplification and the frequency out isn't changed. 85-5k IN, 85-5k OUT.

If the RockyFoz has a built in passive crossover, you're covered as its already protected from frequencies above below it's operating range. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't use the active ahead of the amp. Helps to produce much cleaner sound out of the amp without the extraneous frequency garbage.

EDIT: Just realized you asked for specific models.... this one (and others by Rockford Fosgate) are made for the specific speakers (mids) you're working with: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PP4X...nch-PP4-X.html

And this for component tweeters: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PP8X...nch-PP8-X.html
Ya thats what I thought too but they only can handle 125 watts rms? The mids I have already use 100 and the highs 60? I am probably just going to contact rockford and see if they can explain it?
Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Lt_Ballzacki

I have been looking at some other speakers too? What do you guys think of CDT's and Focal's.

I am deciding between these two (CDT, Focal)

Do you guys have any other suggestions within this price range? I love RF but I have been hearing great things about some of these higher tier speakers. Any brands that come to mind?