Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 04:18 AM
z461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Internet abyss... did they only have to take apart the center console for the install? Does the wiring only take place behind the monitor and not anywhere else (like under the dashboard)? Also, how do you wire a DVD player? Where would you put it and where would you run the wire? I wanna try this install out if it comes out well on yours.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:07 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

hey jason,

i will lend you my service manual, and also use my obd-2 scanner to figure out whats up with your check engine light.

i will be at tweeter in frisco (next to stonebriar mall) all day monday from 1pm-close.

michael

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
Just my luck.....houston we have a problem.

The installer thinks that the rgb converter is defective...calling nav-tv to send out another one.

Everything works but the dvd screen has lines in it. When its on NAV it is perfect. The FM modulator sounds good.

But the other thing that is bugging me is...now the service engine soon is on again....GEEZ I also noticed that on the trip computer the temperture gauge isnt working and ICY is listed on every option.

SKIDD....I would love a copy of the service manual

Well. Looks like Nav-tv needs to trouble shoot this and send a new rgb converter out....It looks cool I can now imagine it being perfect...very cool.

Heres a pic of my 350z ps2 concept game I got from Zisme, playing on the NAV screen.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:41 PM
dragonbz99

Default dvd playing

do you just use the dvd player for the navi to watch movies and stuff? and how do you do onscreen controls then
Old 11-03-2002, 08:46 PM
InternetABYSS

First the temperture gauge is now working....very weird....it took a day and stated working again. crazy eh ...self healing car.

The service engine light is still on but everything seems ok with all the functions of the car.

This is how the install went.

2 toggle switches are under my dash one for the on off nav/dvd screen. The other is a on off switch for the FM modulator.

I'll take pics in the next 5 min to show this.

The fm modulator and the rgb converter are behind the ac controls in front of gear ****. The installer ran a rgb wire from the center console to the glove box behind the passenger seat. I amd currently running a PS2 just for testing. It gets its power via the cig lighter with a ac/dc convertor I bought at walmart.

The sound is good but set at a low volume...meaning to get it at a good volue you gotta crank it all the way up...i'll see if it can be raised higher to equal out to all the other fm channels.

The modulator is set at 89.1 so if your driving by me you might pic up my movie im playing...hee hee.

The nav screen makes a very good picture but the problem is that there is noise on the video thats why I'm requesting Nav-tv.com to send out a new rgb convertor.

Once it is installed my system should be totally set5 up except for my custome single DIN dvd player Im setting up in the other compartemtn next to the factory dvd nav player.

The rgb wires are ran back there already. All I got to do is mount the dvd player in there and run power, ground and ignition wires to the front and it will be done.

My setup should will look like I just had 2 nav dvds instead of one.

I got hidden switches, and a remote to power the dvd with a remote ir sensor that will also be hidden.

My first objective is to get the dvd working good...and its still a work in progress...im hoping that after a 2 days everything but my new dvd player will be set up...If someone wants to help me mount the dvd player and run power to it...fell free to help. i'll give you my number...the dvd player should be here within a week.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:03 PM
InternetABYSS

switche...im gonna have the instller replace the gay metal fm mod toggle for the slick back on used for the screen changes.

heres the pic of it and my chosen placement.
Attached Thumbnails Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)-dsc00382.jpg  
Old 11-03-2002, 09:04 PM
InternetABYSS

another with more light.
Attached Thumbnails Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)-dsc00388.jpg  
Old 11-03-2002, 09:06 PM
InternetABYSS

heres is where the ps2, ac/dc convertor and power is coming to play the movies.

This is just temporary for testing till I install the dvd player in the other parcel compartment next to the factory nav player.

I will be using a dvd remote to mess with dvd movies in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)-dsc00385.jpg  

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 11-03-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:08 PM
InternetABYSS

Heres a pic with the radio set to 89.1 the fm mod setting and the movie where I got my name from
Attached Thumbnails Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)-dsc00394.jpg  
Old 11-03-2002, 09:19 PM
InternetABYSS

Default Re: dvd playing

Originally posted by dragonbz99
do you just use the dvd player for the navi to watch movies and stuff? and how do you do onscreen controls then
currently I use a PS2 controller.....in the very near future I'll be using a small dvd remote...they ps2 will be taken out but i'll leave a auxillary cable in the glove box to play ps2 games but it is very had to play a game and drive...hee hee.

I cant wait for this all to be done and to the way I want it....best mod Ive done...and been planning it for 6 months....geezz I figure I would have hang ups...but it will all come out very factory looking ....all you'll see is 2 dvd players side by side between the 2 rear speakers that will make you think that my nav is dvd playable.

The nav chick voice still works while movies are playing and to switch from nave screen to dvd is just a flick of a switch....I can watch movies and still have the nav chick tell me where to turn and what road im on.

Sweet setup ....I like the factory look and glad I didnt go after market on all this stuff.

In the future I can add a vcr, rear remote cameras, tv- tuner, and anything else....All I will need is a tv switcher to run a bunch more stuff...but that will need yet another remote control.
so far i'll be happy with Nav and dvd movies/music videos
Attached Thumbnails Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)-dsc00386.jpg  
Old 11-03-2002, 10:17 PM
InternetABYSS

the dvd player im gonna get if the price is right... this will be next to the factory nav dvd player for that factory look.
Attached Thumbnails Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)-clariondvd2.jpg  
Old 11-03-2002, 11:11 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
Heres a pic with the radio set to 89.1 the fm mod setting and the movie where I got my name from
is it the pics, or do you still have sync lines in your display?

m
Old 11-04-2002, 12:59 AM
mrrsx350z

Default GT concept?

One question, is that GT concept a demo or is it out! All i see is Z on there. Where can i get one? Thanks for the pic.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:11 AM
InternetABYSS

Default Re: GT concept?

Originally posted by mrrsx350z
One question, is that GT concept a demo or is it out! All i see is Z on there. Where can i get one? Thanks for the pic.
it was a gift from nissan months ago...when the last nissan press kit came out. it is PS2 demo game...That only has the production 350z and you can only race one track against other 350z's.

Sony made this disk soley for nissan to send to the press.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:13 AM
InternetABYSS

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
is it the pics, or do you still have sync lines in your display?

m

still have lines in the display....it sucks...gonna have nav tv send out another converter.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:11 PM
Bjmnzzzz

That's a sweet setup indeed, Abyss! I particularly like the easy switch from DVD To Nav and back.

I installed the Pioneer AVIC90NAV behind the passengers seat in the small compartment and then (originally) placed the Farenheit 5.8" in the factory dash location. I say originally, because after four days of flawless operation on a 15 day road tour of the southwest, the Farenheit burned a circuit, smoke and all! Man, was I bummed. I happened to be in Las Vegas at the time and fortunately found the largest stereo shop in town. They were singularly commiserative and helpful (wanted sorely to get their top technician into the new Z) and I was able to negotiate a "family deal" ($350 including install) for the installation of a 7" Microvision screen. So, I graduated up to 7", I have much better resolution than the Farenheit, the fit is highly professional, and I still retain a bit of stealth.

With my single Pioneer setup, I have to choose between Nav or DVD, however, you have now peaked my interest. Someone please give me some ideas on how to tie in a second DVD player (slot behind driver) with a switch box integrating with my existing setup. From Abyss's setup, it looks doable, right?

After a few posts on this board, I was a bit concerned about the quality of the DVD through the FM Modulator, however, I was stunned to hear how great the movies sound tracks transfer to my sound system. Truly mind bending.

To illustrate, let me restate a brief example I posted earlier...

Using an FM Modulator, we tied the Pioneer to the sound system via 88.7fm. I purchased a DVD of "Pearl Harbor", and absolutely blew my mind, especially during the battle scenes, with diving Zeros, crashing bombs, machine guns, etc.

I drove up to a stop light during afternoon drive time, opened my windows, dialed up the sub, and cranked up the volume playing one particularly rockin battle scene. That resulted in an intersection of fellow commuters ducking for cover and nervously searching the skies for enemy aircraft. Too too funny, man!

I know. now that was a cruel prank to pull... but lol, with my sick sense of humor, funny just the same.

Point is, my entire Stereo/DVD/Nav system flat out ROCKS!

In total, it cost me an arm and a leg, but, being the gadget guy that I am, I know, I will never regret the expenditure.

I'm still on this incredible road trip from Seattle thru OR, CA, NV, AZ, then Palm Desert, LA, Santa Monica, then north along Highway 1 to San Francisco, and finally a dash home to Seattle via I-5. I'm living large in the West and lovin the mindmeld I am doing with my new ride!

Top speed so far... a bit above140mph across the Mojave. I know... I'm too faint of heart, yet, to push it to 160, but, that will come in due time. I'll say one thing - this car really gets your adrenaline pumpin! From a highspeed handling standpoint, it glides along with little or no effort and straight as an arrow, even in high cross winds, when pegged at the max 90mph of cruise controls. I traversed a few miles of up/down undulating road surfaces at 100+ mph and experienced zero float as I crested each peak. That too was toooo much fun!

On another note... concrete freeways and their crappy expansion joints, in long need of repair and sorely crying for smooth asphalt surfacing, suck big time in this car. It's like riding over a washboard (at any speed). To name just a few, Highway 99, parts of I-5 in Seattle, Oregon, and Sacramento. And on a trip like mine, it is a bit difficult to circumvent them if you rely on the Nav system. I just slow way down and pray for a rapid end to the *** kicking.

Sorry for the extended post. I'm still enjoying the honeymoon!

I'll post pictures of my stereo/nav/cell phone setup when I get a chance to jump on a broadband access. No travelogue pictures, I promise!

Finally, a reminder... The Pioneer System (and possibly others, such as the Alpine) does require tapping into the speed sensor circuit. As posted earlier by SkiDaZZle, that can be done at white wire between junction #26 and #20 which tie into the A/C controls. This can be found in the white junction box found behind the climate controls on the lower console. See earlier posts which included pictures and schemas.

Terminally, but happily, on the road and down! Z'ya!

Old 11-04-2002, 07:12 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by Bjmnzzzz
I happened to be in Las Vegas at the time and fortunately found the largest stereo shop in town. They were singularly commiserative and helpful (wanted sorely to get their top technician into the new Z) and I was able to negotiate a "family deal" ($350 including install) for the installation of a 7" Microvision screen. So, I graduated up to 7", I have much better resolution than the Farenheit, the fit is highly professional, and I still retain a bit of stealth.

What stereo shop did you use, and how good were they?? I live in Vegas and I'm leary of letting anyone here touch my Z.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 PM
InternetABYSS

After seeing em do it...its very simple....geez kinda makes me wish I would have done it myself but then again...no one else would be the guinea pig....just me. bummer I could have saved $250 bucks on the installation....well i got a dvd player to install and a clarion fm modulator...the audiovox fm mod sux....it has no volume control...the clarion has volume match on it...that will make the sound equal instead of having to turn it al the way to 31 to get nice movie sounds.

Wednesday I should be getting the new rgb converter...Michael (aka skidazzle) has got a blilly badass head unit install going...that guy is mod king.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Question for I.A.

InternetAbyss...thanks for being the guinea pig for the rest of us here, and putting the nav (and electronics) of your Z on the line here. I too am considering altering the factory nav system and adding dvd capabilities to the system. Please keep this thread going, and post any further modifications and final results.
Personally, I am looking into adding a Pioneer GEX-P7000TV tuner and pba-n1 from video-nav.com to complete the connections. I should have the factory service manual later this week, so I can start planning now. I hope to be able to complete all of this work by myself (of course, I will need my car first).
I will add to this thread or post a new thread when things start coming together. I am expecting delivery of my Z very soon (less than 2 weeks), so Ihope to be doing some of this work in the next month or so...

PS, thanks for the cool pics on your site, and BIG thanks for the REALLY cool pics, and the WOW! story...that one will be tough to beat !
Old 11-05-2002, 10:09 AM
InternetABYSS

take in mind I havent done the video-nav solution...i did the nav- tv .com way.

but the install is cake. either way....you might have to splice the video-nav.com solution to get it to work since I didnt know if the brackets would fit a Z.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 11-05-2002 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:31 PM
InternetABYSS

NAv-Tv told me they are holding of seeling anymore rgb converters till they find out what is causeing the signal noise on the video.

Thye want somone in the NY area to bring theirs in to see what the deal is...

maybe if you take your car down there...(anyone)...they will cut you deal since do your car in personal will help a bunch of others getting thsi modd corrected.

Quick Reply: Nav-tv.com first 350z test pig...me :)