Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Everyone wants to race

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:14 AM
fatmanoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone wants to race

I've been getting quite a bit of the old "pull up alongside and push for a race".

Apart from nearly every Monaro or V8 Commodore, the WRX and S15s are throwing out the challenges.

Obviously, being the law abiding citizen that I am, I am politely declining. That and the fact that I have only 300kms on the clock and need to run in.

The one that takes the cake, is a motorbike (not sure what model, but it was new looking and blue and white in colour).
This guy comes flying up beside me, slows down, threatens to take off, backs down, threatens again and once he sees I'm not playing, throws the front up in the air and launches up the road.

Surely he wasn't serious. I know the Z can haul, but not against a bike. Come on.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:56 AM
KY350

The local V8's want a piece of the Z. They always seem to be Holdens and not Fords funnily enough.
I get especially hounded by Monaro's, even today one decided to move from his middle lane to behind me in the right lane. He continue to follow as I broke through the traffic and into clear road ahead, though he did not want to pull up beside me. I think that most of the Monaro drivers are pi$$ed of at the favourable write up that the Z got in Motor mag when compared with the Munro. So now they want to take out their aggressions on all Z's that they see on the road.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:27 PM
apsilon

Surprisingly I've yet to be challenged and I typically do 50km a day so I'm on the road a bit. A lot of Monaro drivers do look but so far that's it.

One of the managers at a big client where I spend most my time has a Monaro and we've discussed lining them up out front to confirm Motor mags results. It's a long straight road with no side streets and the local hoons have generously painted up start and finish lines for us
Old 06-20-2003, 03:26 PM
ZZZ-35

apsilon

Just hope he has'nt added extractors & exhaust system plus had the ECU re-programmed adds about 50Kw's thats at the flywheel. I had a Clubsports R8 pulling 225rwkw's with just a re-program & rear muffler their mods really add real hp.

Let's hope the TechnoSquares ECU mod + other engine mods will give us the same effect that the Gen III mods eventually made after they finally managed to crack the ECU, which by the way had the same detuning feature ( torque management loop part of the ODB2 design spec.).

David.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:26 PM
zuffy

Even then you'll thrash him.

The Z will go under 6 secs if you push it right... The Monaro is lucky to do 6 secs with mods.

I've had a few runs... the only cars a haven't beat are those modded WRXs. Twice they line up and twice they beat be by a car length.

They weren't STi, but weren't std rexes either.

must get mods for the Z !
Old 06-21-2003, 09:51 AM
ZEXC-33

Originally posted by ZZZ-35
apsilon

Just hope he has'nt added extractors & exhaust system plus had the ECU re-programmed adds about 50Kw's thats at the flywheel. I had a Clubsports R8 pulling 225rwkw's with just a re-program & rear muffler their mods really add real hp.

David.
LOL forget ne mods.....just keep ur fingers crossed its a manual! He'd have to change gears himself eventually, and no matter how much u can bench press, that painfully slow low tech 'box aint moving cogs in a hurry!

Last edited by ZEXC-33; 06-21-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:36 PM
apsilon

It isn't modded and I'm fairly certain it is manual. Doubt anything will come of it, not really the sort of thing senior management should be doing right outside work. Be interesting if we could get the chairman with his SL500 out there as well. Street's wide enough to run 4 wide
Old 06-21-2003, 07:21 PM
ZEXC-33

woooooho its a manual aps....god speed son!

mmmm SL500 now that class. I think the SL would get the jump with 460Nm torque on tap and the syrupy auto box, but the Z would catch it eventually. The SL500 is 225kw hauling a good 1800kg down a high 14sec 1/4. Pretty impressive IMO. Even more impressive is the SL55.....368kw 1955kg and a mid 11sec 1/4....not to mention the quickest production car to run to 300km/h. The current AMGs r weapons. I drove an slk32 over a weekend earlier this yr and **** my pants when i carpeted it from the lights My neck still hurts.....
Old 06-22-2003, 01:13 AM
fatmanoz

Hey aps, how about the black SL55 we saw on Saturday?

That was a very sharp car and it wasn't nice of the old bloke to park right in front of us.

Very nice.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:59 AM
apsilon

Yeah the SL55 was very nice. I'd trade the Z for one in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:01 AM
fatmanoz

You're not the only one.

I have PM'd you
Old 06-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Cloud Nine

on the way home from our meeting on saturday morning another Nissan came along side and tried to drag me off - despite my limitations of staying inside the speed limit and running in the engine he did seem to have the edge on me - my son reliably informed me it was a Skyline R32 GTR.

Altho I've only had it 2 days its really amazing the looks I'm continally getting - had a truckie lean out of his window at the lights this morning and mouth "HOT"
Old 06-24-2003, 04:22 AM
fatmanoz

Cloud Nine - I'm interested to know if you took off from lights or if you were already rolling. I'm guessing the Skyline was a manual and I'm interested how good the auto is from a standing start.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:14 AM
KY350

Hi Cloudnine - I see your dragging GT-R's on your second day of ownership. Take a hint and leave those beasts alone. They'll eat you every day of the year, even if it is a 10yo R-32.
ZEXC-33 was that an AMG SLK32? Georgeous car and what I would buy if I had the money and wanted top down motoring with hardtop security.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:08 AM
ZEXC-33

yeap AMG SLK32......i tell ya it was the scariest thing ive ever been in, let alone driven....and pops has owned every iteration of the 911 Turbo and now a 360 Spider.

My mum got an SLK320 recently and i dragged a rather smug Z owner in that and was in front up to 70-80kays till he started to get along side me. You can imagine then how hard the AMG SLK32 went with twice the power and that supercharger offering gobs of torque off the line.

On a side not, just got off the toilet having read the latest Wheels with Bentley Arnage T vs AMG S55.....thing cut a 12.9 1/4 LOL. So cant wait for the SL55 to arrive, take it to calder and watch the faces of VL Turbo muzzas with an auto 1900kg merc punching low 12s
Old 06-24-2003, 05:54 PM
zuffy

Originally posted by KY350
Hi Cloudnine - I see your dragging GT-R's on your second day of ownership. Take a hint and leave those beasts alone. They'll eat you every day of the year, even if it is a 10yo R-32.

lol

Not even if...especialy if! R32 is about 1200 and a bit KGs and comes std with about 230KW depending on what version of the type R they have. Also you find an unmodded r32! Doesn't exist.

The std gts isn't any faster than our car (unmodded) but the GTR is a real street-machine.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:56 PM
apsilon

Finally got challenged last night by a rex. Idiot driver though and he turned off before there was any open road.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:04 PM
zuffy

probably just wanted a perv!

Old 06-24-2003, 06:14 PM
apsilon

No, you could tell the type even though I couldn't see anything through both of our tints. I'm sure he would've had his cap on backwards. Came right up on my **** and let go his BOV.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:23 PM
zuffy

I tell you what, for some unknown reason WRX drivers are very very intimidated by our 350Zs.

They will race us to prove they are faster at every God given chance. Every WRX i've stopped at the light with wanted to race. Sometimes i comply, most of the times i deem the situation to be too unsafe.

I think they just want a trophy!

Quick Reply: Everyone wants to race