Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Weight of the Electric/heated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:27 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight of the Electric/heated seats?

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what seats to get for the Z. Though, first I need to know what the original seats in the Track model (ie. with the heaters, electrics and airbags) weight? Can anyone (who has traken their seats out) put them on a scale and let me know what the weight of them is?

I want to know how much weight is there to be saved as a really 'spartan' racing seat will weight around 8kg, but more road oriented sports seat will weight more like 15 - 20 kg.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:42 PM
ZZZ-35

DavidM

Sorry mate I'll weight mine tonight and post the findings, been a bit busy with work interstate.

David
Old 11-10-2003, 01:22 AM
ZZZ-35

DavidM

Seats weight = total of 45Kg

driver seat = 24kg
passenger = 21kg.

These are not accurate weights, I used the bathroom scales they would not be far out though.

FYI Cobra are making a roadster style seat from carbon fibre and steel, leather covered and available for the 350Z weighing 24lbs for the seat, 12lbs for the subframe and runners total weight 368lbs = 16.3kg saving 12.3kg

So throw out the std seats, spare tyre, the Hitech exhaust saved another 7kg, Rays wheels saved say 10kg and now the car weights in at 1410kg approx, a 40kg advantage.

David
Old 11-10-2003, 01:47 AM
ypwpat

you forgot the Light Flywheels
Old 11-10-2003, 02:14 AM
zuff

lol.... why are you guys worried about 40kg?

It's not like you are racing the car in the GTP!

If you want better track time, take a race driver course for 800 bucks and you'll bring down more seconds than 40kgs ever would.

well it's just a thought.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:03 AM
DavidM

Seats weight = total of 45Kg
- driver seat = 24kg
- passenger = 21kg

Awesome, thanks for that ... I now have something to work with. I take it that these weights are without the rail (or is it called subframe) which you need to mount it in the car. Is hat correct?

These are not accurate weights, I used the bathroom scales they would not be far out though.

That's more than close enough. Thanks for the info ... was hping that the weight would be more like 30kg per seat (ie. more weight to be saved), but at least now I know what I'm comparing it to.

FYI Cobra are making a roadster style seat from carbon fibre and steel, leather covered and available for the 350Z weighing 24lbs for the seat, 12lbs for the subframe and runners total weight 368lbs = 16.3kg saving 12.3kg

What is a 'roadster style seat'? Have you got a link to the seat so I can have a look at it? Also any idea about the price?

Hey, just for reference value, the S2000 seats weight 17.2kg each. So the 350Z seats seem to be 11kg heavier.

So throw out the std seats, spare tyre, the Hitech exhaust saved another 7kg, Rays wheels saved say 10kg and now the car weights in at 1410kg approx, a 40kg advantage.

- 18" Rays = 12kg saving
- Hitech exhaust = 7kg saving
- Replacement seats (15kg each) = 15kg saving
- Spare tyre = 20kg? saving

I'm just guessing at the spare tyre weight, but that is an estimated total saving of 54kg. Does the Track model weight 1453kg or 1462kg (I see different numbers in different publications)? Either way, you could be just over 1400kg (as per your estimate) or just under it. And with ~220kW (ier. the hitech exhaust gains), i would put the weight to power ratie at around 6.4kg/kW .... I would love that :-) Also, the brakes would do so much better for it.

ps. I wonder what else you can do to save weight (that is reasonably priced)?

If you want better track time, take a race driver course for 800 bucks and you'll bring down more seconds than 40kgs ever would.

I agree ... and you can do a course like that for more like $300 - 400 in Melbourne. I did one with John Bowe at Winton last year and had John Bowe and Paul Stokel as instructors :-)
Old 11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Z350Lover

Watch out for Amuse Power House products, in one of the VCD that I have got, they said that they are working on Carbon Fibre (and FRP) panels for the Z... such as boot lid, quarter panels...

I am sure with those things on, you can definitely shave a lot of weight off the car!

cheers,

richie
Old 11-10-2003, 03:15 PM
zuff

lol... can you imagine the price?

Just buy a lotus if you want a light car. God knows that after Amuse gets through with you you'll be able to afford one.

BTW has anyone asked Nathan what they have done to lighten their car? I believe they have about 120kgs out from stock.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Z350Lover

Zuff.... I will second that option... price will be an "amazing" figure! And also those CF/FRP panels might not be road legal here in Australia as well!

Come to think about it... if Lotus/Toyota is going to put a Toyota engine in the Elise shape car and targetting at the 40K price range, will we see a lot of Lotus/Toyota Elise out there????

cheers,

richie
Old 11-10-2003, 04:59 PM
DavidM

BTW has anyone asked Nathan what they have done to lighten their car? I believe they have about 120kgs out from stock.

I'd be interested to hear how they managed that. Nathal, if you're reading this, can you elaborate?

Watch out for Amuse Power House products, in one of the VCD that I have got, they said that they are working on Carbon Fibre (and FRP) panels for the Z... such as boot lid, quarter panels...

Yeah, that'll be sooooo expensive. Amuse have 'lightened' an S2000 by good 120kg without giving up the A/C or rdio (or any of the laxuries). Though, to do that you need to add 50% to the price of the car .... like someone else said - you might as well buy something different for that money. Me, I'll only do it if it's cheap :-)

Come to think about it... if Lotus/Toyota is going to put a Toyota engine in the Elise shape car and targetting at the 40K price range, will we see a lot of Lotus/Toyota Elise out there????

hehe, that'll be the day when Elise is cheaper than MR2-Spyder and MG .... I don't think so :-) The price you're quoting is probably in the US where at $40k it would be about the same price as a Boxster.

Last edited by DavidM; 11-10-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Z350Lover

nah..... I read it on Herald Sun most probably 1 month ago.... it says that Lotus is now owned by Proton, which the company is willing to produce Elise in Malaysia instead of the UK production line... and most likely to use Lotus technics (suspension...etc) with Toyota engine in it...

I think if you do a search in Drive.com, you should be able to find one because I read it once there as well... I cannot remember the exact price, but I am quite sure from my memory that it is around MR2 mark!

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 11-10-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
ZZZ-35

Zuff,

My weight saving was not by design, it just with happen with the bolt on mods, I got the Recaro seats because I was uncomfortable in the the std ones for any lenght of time, I would have preferred to spend the money on other type of mods. Anyway 45Kg saving can't hurt in the overall scheme of things.

DavidM

Those weights included the subframes.

This is an email reply from US dealer.

"The Sparco Milano in the Alcantara sued is 899.00 each, in full leather is $1299.00 and the brackets for the 350Z is $160.00 each.
The Sparco bracket weighs about 18lbs. each, seat in leather about 47lbs.

The Cobra Misano in leather is $1249.00 each keep in mind, the Misano has a real carbon Fiber back, and it weighs only 24LBS. Made for everyday use, and weekend racing. The Cobra Bracket is $125.00 each, and it weighs about 15 LBS.

As for shipping to you, you are looking at about $375.00 per seat.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email us back.

Thank you."

Link www.subesports.com

David
Old 11-10-2003, 08:11 PM
zuff

zzz-35, I didn't mean to sound like I was trashing the idea! It's just expensive unless you had an alterior motive. ie. good looks, comfortable seats and plain ol' bling bling.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
frosty

And don't forget to have a **** before you leave home - that
will save 10kg in some cases.

Just go buy a big 'dor or Ford and you can RIP.

5, - 10kw - bugger all. Bought the wrong car. This thing'san old man's cruiser.

FROZZLEBUM
Old 11-10-2003, 11:21 PM
apsilon

Originally posted by Z350Lover

I am sure with those things on, you can definitely shave a lot of weight off the car!

cheers,

richie
No pics but there's a few places listing prices on the Amuse CF parts. eg rear hatch for US$3800. You'd want to be serious and have deep pockets if you're going to go weight reduction over power increase.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:25 AM
zuff

Originally posted by frosty
And don't forget to have a **** before you leave home - that
will save 10kg in some cases.

Just go buy a big 'dor or Ford and you can RIP.

5, - 10kw - bugger all. Bought the wrong car. This thing'san old man's cruiser.

FROZZLEBUM
Old 11-11-2003, 03:50 AM
DavidM

The Cobra Misano in leather is $1249.00 each keep in mind, the Misano has a real carbon Fiber back, and it weighs only 24LBS. Made for everyday use, and weekend racing. The Cobra Bracket is $125.00 each, and it weighs about 15 LBS.

That's a beautifull seat. At 39lbs (including bracket) that's about 17kg per seat. I take it those prices are in US dollars ... right?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:53 PM
ZZZ-35

Hey FROZZLEBUM why do you think a current HVS R8 (285Kw)sh#ts all over Ford's BA GT (290Kw), weight 200Kg of it or is it that Ford driver don't sh#t.

DavidM

Yep U.S. dollars.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 PM
frosty

One thing's for sure - they both think that their ***** don't stink !

HP doesn't tell it all - powerband - torque curves - DT losses and
so on.

Dont know the figures, but maybe kg/hp ratio might show
how relatively insignificant 200kg is at those hp figures/torque
curves.

No good making 500 hp in a narrow say 1000rpm powerband
and expecting to burn another vehicle making 450 hp
over 60% of powerband.

Goin' ter sit in me car - bugger the technical stuff

FROSTED
Old 11-11-2003, 11:54 PM
DavidM

Dont know the figures, but maybe kg/hp ratio might show
how relatively insignificant 200kg is at those hp figures/torque
curves.

That's the thing - 200kg is incredibly significant. How do you think a Lotus Elise (with measly 88kW) can lap just as quick as a 350Z with all of it's 206kW/368Nm of power/torque? It's because Elise weights around 700kg.

And how come the S2000 seems to be a good match for the 350Z in terms of outright acceleration .... afterall, it has 'only' 176kW? The S2000 is 200kg lighter, that's why.

What the 200kg 'reduction' does is in effect increase the power/torque at any revs during the rev-range. For example, If you drop the weigh by 1/2 in a 350Z (or any car), then you will notice a significant increase in acceleration at idle, 2k rpm, 4k rpm, redline (ie. at any revs).

Decreasing weight has bigger effect than increasing the power as it's difficult to increase the power by X% (ie. any constant percentage) across thw whole power urve, while that is exaclty what the weight reduction does in effect. Not only that but the car will stop quicker with less weight and will handle better. It will also be able to sustain higher cornering forces, will be able to get on power sooner and will transition better. Last (but not least) of all, all your components (ie. drivetrain, brakes, clutch, suspension etc) will work that much better and will be stressed that much less when you reduce the weight of the car.

A 350Z with 200kg less weight would most probaby put the car on par (in terms of performance) with M3, 911, GTR and EVO VI.

Quick Reply: Weight of the Electric/heated seats?