Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Voiding Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:04 PM
harryw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, Lambros struggles to use the internet!

You are better to call him and talk to him in person.

Mine ( and Ithink most peoples) were the same, just plug and PLAY!

As always

H
Old 10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
ELL.21

so most of you guys installed them yourselves? i would most likely be able to do it myself, but isnt it better for insurance/warranty to get it done professionally?

I'll give lambos a call later on
Old 10-12-2004, 11:30 PM
harryw

No, when I said plug and play I didnt mean we did it ourself. Im pretty sure everyone had theirs professionally installed, most by Hi Tech or someone recommended by them.

As always

H
Old 10-13-2004, 02:02 AM
scathing

My exhaust was self-installed. Well, kind of. One of my friends is a dab hand at mechanics, even though he's not a professional, so he put it on.

In all honesty, I was really surprised at how easy it was to install. The only hard part is getting the factory exhaust off the rubber bushes (nothing that silicone spray won't fix).

If you've got the right hand tools (your average spanner set would be enough) and some ramps, you can do it yourself.

The only thing is that you'll notice that my exhaust tips don't line up 100% with the cutouts in the bumper, but you really have to look. To save the $200+ labour that HiTech wanted (for a 30 minute job if you have a hoist, about an hour if you're using ramps) its more than worth it.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:19 AM
KY350

Scathing - I noticed the malalignment on the tips in your last photo. The one on the left looks ok, but the one on the right needs to go further right.
Why is it out so much and is it possible to fix?
BTW, that HT was put on a while ago now wasn't it - I seem to recall your Z had it on our little drive down the Puttey Rd.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:57 PM
scathing

No idea if its fixable. To be honest, I hadn't even really considered it.

I'm not sure if its because the exhaust tips just don't line up on my one, or if the chassis mounts aren't on exactly right.

The HT has been on for a while. I had it on Putty, along with the Popcharger.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:27 PM
ELL.21

this popcharger thing everyone talks about, with Z's what is that?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:06 PM
scathing

Its a pod filter, from Jim Wolf Technologies.

Its a very nice kit. Everything bolts on perfectly, so there's no fiddling around trying to make something that almost fits actually fit, or runs to the hardware store to buy screws and bolts because the guys who make them forget that not everyone is a mechanic with a drawer full of miscellaneous bits.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:09 PM
ELL.21

how much do they go for? i got a K&N atm but if this is better for a decent price i can always sell my pod
Old 10-13-2004, 06:16 PM
scathing

If you've already got a pod, there's no point. There's no big gains changing from one aftermarket filter to another.

You see ads quoting 6rwhp this vs 4rwhp that, which when it boils down to it is around 6kW at the flywheel. Even if that is accurate, out of 206, its a drop in the ocean.

I haven't noticed any difference between the factory box and the pop charger in terms of performance (both in acceleration and throttle response); all it does is make the car sound awesome. I have read on some forums that the Popcharger does sound slightly more aggressive than the K&N, but I haven't ever heard the K&N and some people's idea of better seems to be rather....strange.

The guys from our last Putty Road cruise will vouch for how nice the Popcharger / HiTech exhaust combo sounds on my car. It was easy to compare, too, since we had a driver with the Popcharger with the factory exhaust, and another with the HiTech exhaust and factory intake.

Unless you've got dollars and you don't know what to do with them, I'd stick with your existing pod filter. It does the job (well, so would the already well-designed factory airbox and aftermarket panel).
Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
harryw

Ell, from memory the popcharger will set you back about $300 with no gains above the K&N panel filter you already have.

The only difference from what I know is the pod type filters seem to have more induction noise. With saying that though there is a fair bit of that with just the K&N.

Like Scathing said, unless you just have dollars to throw around put it towards the Hi tech or whatever cat back you want.

Also, if you do a search in this forum (when it is actually working) you will find almost all the answers to almost any question you have as we have discussed lots and lots of things over the last year or two.

As always

H
Old 10-13-2004, 07:40 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree dont waste any money on changing your filter again, no more gains to be had there. Get a cat back or a twin turbo
Old 10-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Perth 350z

Popcharger will cost about $220 landed in Australia. I agree with what everyone says. No real gains but sounds great!