Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

T2 Runoff Race on SPEED this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:31 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very close to stock, with the exception of safety equipment (roll cage to SCCA spec, racing seat, harness, fire extinguisher). Modifcations are limited to any damper (remote reservoirs are not permitted though), cat-back exhaust retaining OEM format, air filter, differential, DOT tire, and brake pads. You are allowed to balance and blueprint the motor within OEM in specification. The 350Z has been allowed to use Nissan's linear T2 spring. I don't know what the regulations are on the tire size, but IIRC, the OEM size must be retained. Fuel cells are optional. I'm not sure of the minimum weight though.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Jason H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by John
Very close to stock, with the exception of safety equipment (roll cage to SCCA spec, racing seat, harness, fire extinguisher). Modifcations are limited to any damper (remote reservoirs are not permitted though), cat-back exhaust retaining OEM format, air filter, differential, DOT tire, and brake pads. You are allowed to balance and blueprint the motor within OEM in specification. The 350Z has been allowed to use Nissan's linear T2 spring. I don't know what the regulations are on the tire size, but IIRC, the OEM size must be retained. Fuel cells are optional. I'm not sure of the minimum weight though.
Good summary John! Have you been reading up so you can get your Z ready for T2??

Min weight is 3268 with driver and max tire size is 265R and 245F. Max wheel size is 18x8.5 all the way around. You can also upgrade the brake lines.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
ALong

Dont forget the 350Z is allowed to run the Nissan Competition T2 Suspension kit (F/R Springs, F/R adjustable Swaybars with Heimjointed & adjustable endlinks), Nismo Power Steering Cooler and Nissan Competition Oil Cooler Kit.

Also allowed to change to wheel studs (if you have bolts) or go to a better wheel stud (ie: Nismo wheel studs). You can remove the brake disk backing plate. Engine software is Free. Any wheel type can be used as long as it is not bigger than the maximum size listed for the vehichle (in this case 8.5x17 or 8.5x18 Front/Rear). Any type of shock mount can be used (but Struts need to keep stock mount), bet you didnt know that Jason!!

Bottom line, to have a front running Runoffs car, expect to spend aprox $15-20,000 more than the cost of the car.....Dont ask me how I know
Old 12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess who makes the Nissan Suspension kit sways???? Hint I am already running them.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:28 PM
jmark

Default Re: 2004 T2 Runoffs observations

Originally posted by dkmura
I've read this thread with interest, after watching the T2 race on Speed Channel. First and foremost, it's important to understand that SCCA doesn't actually guarantee competitiveness once a car is classed. Case in point: besides TC, there were two other Zs in this race. The Redline Z that finished 13th was driven by Oregon's Scott Culberson. Culberson sat on the GT4 pole at the Runoffs a few years ago and was always a threat to win. The other was Jim Rauck's Daytona Blue Z (which I believe was originally a Nissan promo model that appeared in the 'Fast and Furious II'). Jim was a top GT5 competitor who knows Mid-Ohio intimately. My point is that both of these Nissan drivers are skilled and seasoned competitors with EXTENSIVE resources (onboard telemetry, good crews and plenty of go-fast parts). Neither of these Zs were really in the hunt during the race itself. More telling was that neither Culbertson or Rauch were in the top ten all week (practice, qualifying or race) and I submit this is a statistic that says volumes about the Zs speed potential- particularly considering the backgrounds of both guys.

TC puts in a superior performance in just about every category he races in. You know that his car has been carefully maximized in every way possible (that includes making it through the tech shed). Despite losing his temper (not to say it wasn't justified), it says something to me when, in comparison with the F-bodies and Caddies, almost all his gains were made up under braking and in the twisties! The Z is probably the best handling car out there, but HP and big tires make up for a lot of sins. BTW- look at that in-car video of Mark Sandridge again. He had an awful lot of understeer to deal with, but as others have pointed out, massive power and R-compound tires combine to make it look pretty good. Also, the CTS-V is so friggn' BIG that it's difficult to get alongside with, much less make a clean pass on! Mark's personal driving style is to shuffle the wheel between his hands, while maintaining that 3 and 9 o'clock positioning on the wheel with his hands.

As for the SRT-4s, I agree with most here who felt the contact was excessive and the penalties light. But I doubt that the two factory guys are sweating it much- they wanted to demonstrate that the cars could run up front, no matter the cost.

Finally, I'd like to be more positive about the future of the Z in T2, but I don't see it in the cards. For '05, the E46 M3, Subaru WRX STi and the Mitsu Evo VIII get moved into the class. All will be threats in this diverse and varied class, but I think the turbo cars with 4WD have the most potential. Why? Power + four large contact patches = sizable advantage in my experience. Second, SCCA has a limited ability to police boost in these classes and those with deep pockets (which you need to compete up front in this class) won't be afraid to dial it up. The Caddy will continue to be quick, but I think tire wear (ever think of the cost of buying three sets of R-compound rubber for a Runoffs week?) is most definately a factor in a race with NO cautions. Jordon Sandridge's accident and subsequent yellow flag period may have been the edge that allowed his dad to win. The quote from the Sandridge team that, "he took one for the team", may have been the most insightful sound bite all weekend!

I hope I'm proved wrong about the 350Z's future in T2. For all those T2 Z pilots out there, may the latest upgrades put you squarely in the thick of the action!
David, As usual nice post. I do think that TC & BJ both have shown the Z's potential. Don't forget BJ lead the MO National w/o the latest suspension goodies (he was in Jason H's Z). With all the suspension parts the car has a chance in the right hands. I think the key would be to start from the front and control the race, setting a pace the other more powerful cars can't maintain. Of course you'd need a full 20 lap green race too. I am not sure anyone has balanced & blueprinted a 350Z motor yet for T2 either. Probably get you a few HP......
Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
ALong

Jmark,
yes I know who makes the swaybars , but the big difference in the Nissan Comp kit is that it comes with heim-jointed end links for the front and rear swaybars. These alone are big$$$, they also make a big difference in handling because you can adjust the pre-load on the swaybars and with the spherical bearings instead of rubber, there is absolutely no movement in the end-link.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:03 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jason H
Good summary John! Have you been reading up so you can get your Z ready for T2??
The thought has crossed my mind, but seeing how much carnage there is in that class, I wouldn't be able to afford all the body work.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:36 AM
jmark

We know Jason is running T2 next year. Who else on this board is?
Old 12-03-2004, 05:37 AM
ALong

I Running in T2 next year