Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Cobalt Friction Spec VR Review

Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 PM
StaticCling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt Friction Spec VR Review

Well after going through the cheaper CarboTech route of XP8 and XP9 pad compounds, I decided to try out a more pricey brand. As a little background, I have the Stoptech 13" kit up front and 12.9" kit in back. I am now also running BFG KD's on Nismo wheels (245/275). With the Carbotech pads, I would get around 3 days at a brake intensive road racing course (both front and rear). This year in April I went up to the new Autobahn CC in 50 degree weather and the XP8s that I ran left deposits and started fading, so I knew that I would not be using them again.

Fast forward to the present, so I finally got out to another track day with the car. I got the Spec VRs all around and went out to a brake intensive course (Blackhawk) in 90 degree heat. The difference is night and day between the two compounds. I don't know how good the XP10's are, but I had zero fade, zero pad deposit, only used about 5-10% of the pads, and was able to modulate the brakes to threshold so much easier. The only problem that I had was the accumulation of deposits (from previous pads) made the brakes judder almost uncontrollably for the first 2 sessions (The first session was really for bedding the pads though).

The brake balance was also really good. I was able to trail brake and it did not excessively rotate the car, but did add a small amount of predictable rotation.

So if anyone is still struggling with a cheaper pad, my advice is just to upgrade to a pricer one. Be it a Cobalt Friction, Performance Friction, etc. They will last longer so the cost will be about the same. Plus, they are that much better.

As a final review of the Spec VR's in particular:
+Amazing Initial Bite
+Great Wear
+Good service/Price (IMO)
-Not streetable (I change out pads anyway)
-Extended break-in, bedding cycle then non-racing pads
?corosive brake dust (no problems thus far, I washed the wheels and car after the event).

One other minus is that I now need to upgrade the seats as the 6 point seat belts are almost painful when threshold braking now (which is whenever I need to at will now).
Old 07-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Jason H

If you are just using these pads for the track, you should really try running the Carbotech X10 or X11. AND if you have the money, PFC has one of the best pads on the market (IMHO) but the fronts will wear quickly.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having run the VRs for nearly two years, and then switching to the XP10s, the only positive thing I can say about the Carbotech option is that they're quieter. Both pads are very streetable (bites even at low temps), but the VRs are loud as hell. Neither pad is corrosive IMO, but I could be wrong... The VRs provided incredible bite, and they had a nice linear feel. In the end, it really comes down to what your preference structure of pad features. What might be good for me might not be good for you...

I will be switching to the PFC01s next (probably next month)...

Last edited by John; 07-25-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:21 AM
StaticCling

Do they make pads with the PFC01's or 97's for the brembo sized rear caliper (same as ST-22 Stoptech)? I know they make them for the ST-40.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Jason H

Originally Posted by StaticCling
Do they make pads with the PFC01's or 97's for the brembo sized rear caliper (same as ST-22 Stoptech)? I know they make them for the ST-40.
Yes, I run the PFC01s with the brembo front & rear. Very good pad!