Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Autocrossers and Road Racers what Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 AM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea you have about using the IR tire temp tester on the diff cover. I'm going to try that on my next drift day. I have the Nismo finned diff cover, which is probably more for looks than functionality. I can compare it with the other guy with a Z and Nismo LSD to see it it makes any difference. Lurking on these threads always yields something new to try.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
MoodDude

I have heard that the Nismo finned dif cover is only worth 10 to 20 F.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:19 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One way to help your pinion bearing survive is to plumb the return line from the cooler into the top of the diff so the cooled fluid flows over the pinion bearing. The outlet can be the drain plug opening but put a coarse metal mesh filter and a magnet in-line before the pump. Check the filter and magnet every time you change the diff fluid (quartly at least).

Try to mount the pump and cooler level with the diff so that if the pump fails (or you forget to turn it on) all the fluid doesn't drain back into the diff and blow the seals out at speed.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Fluid1

John, can you please comment on the post I have on the previous page, with the reference to the Nismo LSD vs. the stock VLSD. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:35 PM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
One way to help your pinion bearing survive is to plumb the return line from the cooler into the top of the diff so the cooled fluid flows over the pinion bearing. The outlet can be the drain plug opening but put a coarse metal mesh filter and a magnet in-line before the pump. Check the filter and magnet every time you change the diff fluid (quartly at least).

Try to mount the pump and cooler level with the diff so that if the pump fails (or you forget to turn it on) all the fluid doesn't drain back into the diff and blow the seals out at speed.
I did order a filter for the system, yet can't find an in-line magnet, do you know where I can get one?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, my wording was bad. I didn't mean to imply I used an in-line magnet, although a ring Neodymium magnet that fits around the line going to the pump might not be a bad idea. This part number from McMaster-Carr might work with a -8 line: 5901K74 - http://www.mcmaster.com.

I usually place a 1/4" thick 1" diameter round Neodymium (14 lbs of pull) magnet inside the diff housing so I can reach it with my finger poked in through the drain plug.