Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

1st track day of my C-west Z @ Cal Speed ROVAL track 03/17/07 [pics and short vid]

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Paulie35th350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st track day of my C-west Z @ Cal Speed ROVAL track 03/17/07 [pics and short vid]

IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!

I am now hooked! my car handled pretty good although I wasnt really even fast on the few sessions I ran (I had total of 4) my 4th one was the fastest.

My instructor drove my car for 2 laps on my second session and she pushed it! She took the lines on the track in which I could not do ONLY when Im lucky. It was intense I had NO IDEA my Z was capable of doing all that!!!! WOW!!!! As I have mentioned my instructor was a woman about my age (27) but has 4 YEARS of HPDE experience and 2 years of competing in the Performance Touring class Great instructor too I would definitely recommend her to anyone else who wants to improve their driving. She even instructed some of the other instructors out there at the event. I will definitely keep the car AS IS for now until I get faster

Anyway, on my first session, I was taking the turns slow and focused on my instructors tips on braking and turn ins and hitting the apex and exits. I was also focused on being aware of the flagmen in the track. Even a PT cruiser was faster than I was I didnt care. He was HPDE 2 and have been driving in the track for quite sometime. I gave the point bys to so many people At the ROVAL part of the track I was able to reach of 115mph on my first run. I was nervous and there were lots of traffic

My second session was better. After my instructor showed me how it was done I increased my pace. The turn that I kept having a hard time was turn 3(the turn after the oval part). lots of reasons, I brake early because of the car in front of me, scared of the wall so I wasn't really using most of the track, and wrong gear

My third session, she (my instructor) told me that it was alot better. I gave point bys again to HPDE2 guys. I got better on most of the turns except for (again) TURN 3 She told me to really use most of the track but I just cant get over my fear of being so close to the wall it was a REALLY intense feeling. I was able to reach my high speed on the oval part @ 130mph and I passed an HPDE 2 guy with a miata and a TT supra. Passing was scary here and I probably would NEVER do again until I get more seat time and get more comfortable with the car. However, the car felt VERY STABLE in those speeds which made me happy. On this session also, I was slower than my 2nd session and focused on practicing the right lines and using most of the track.

My fourth session was my fastest! I got pretty close (but still not close enough according to her) to the wall more than before with some late braking. She told me it was a big improvement from before. There were no longer any cars wanting to pass me. I did not pass anyone either. However, the easiest turn for me was the turn before the second S Turn in which I actually had some really bad understeer and almost spinning but I was able to correct it without incidents. Reason: My braking point was a little late and car behind me got me flustered. My instructor told me to stop looking @ the rearview mirror which was EASIER SAID THAN DONE!

And finally on the last lap of my 4th and last session it happened I did a 180 spin ahhhh!!!! I came out of the turn pretty fast and then coming into the second S turn my line was off yet I was travelling @ the same speed that am supposed to if my line was correct. I wasnt able to execute fast enough to take a wider turn into the S turn and weeeeeeeeeee!!! spin!! No cars which was cool and I was still on the track. No damage done. whew!

NASA: The event was very organized and it had a very great showing it was a SOLD OUT event. The problem for HPDE was this: HPDE3 and HPDE 4 were both sold out on the first few weeks registration was available online. So, there were about 8 guys on HPDE 2 that were actually HPDE4!! We knew who they were when we had our driver meeting early in the morning. What sucked was when some HPDE4 guy with a Z06 started passing people on our 2nd session on the NO PASSING ZONES and EVEN on the TURNS! This REALLY scared the drivers. This Z06 guy was fast! He passed me on the straight then about a few minutes later he wanted to pass me again! HE LAPPED EVERYONE! WHAT THE HELL>?!> Now THAT was FAST. Anyway because he did those violations by passing up people on the no passing zones, he got booted out for the other 2 sessions. We were happy. Justice was served.

It was also cool to see some NASA sanctioned races such as Formula races, Honda challenge, and touring cars. The time trial guys such as the Crawford STi and Robispec EVO and some others were there too. Those guys are LIGHTNING FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, here are some pics taken by my girlfriend. I also talked to some photographer and he told me he will email the pictures that he took on the oval part and on some of the corners. Sorry, these are probably the only best pics my gf can take since she didnt know the way around the Cali speedway. This was probably the best spot to take pics since it was a bit crowded yesterday.

here's the track map

Car#233 (Z33 hehehe )

late braking and some weight transfer! wooohoo I get to learn the language!

You see the guy taking pics? They said he was the official NASA photographer or somethin. Im waiting on the NASA forums so I can buy some prints from him

The video is the straight after the second S turn and into the chicanes. I still need to perfect my turn ins. Only when Im lucky can I take it really tight. One thing that was really cool was that I was being chased by M5, Z06 (this was a different Z06, not the jerk), E36 M3, and a Viper. Obviously they ended up passing me on the oval part of the track. What sucks was that I could not hear my exhaust on the vid, my exhaust is pretty loud

click on the pic for the vid!

I learned alot on this event and am looking forward to learning some more! Track driving is very technical. I DEFINITELY have ALOT to learn!

Thanks to Rknight, Eagle1, mooddude, chebosto, axelerate, scott b, scott wa2good, and all the others. Thanks for all your advices you guys are great. I will practice some more this year and hopefully be able to drive like a woman (my instructor) this time

Sorry for the long post though.

Last edited by Paulie35th350z; 03-18-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paulie:
So glad you had a great day and a safe one. I really enjoyed your write up, both for the enthusiasm, and especially the sharing of the revelations and understandings that the experience has brought first hand to you. No question that your approach is opening a fast and intense learning that is great fun as well. You will do well with that approach. Congratulations, and keep the contributions to the board coming with each of your next track days!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Paulie35th350z

Hey thanks man. Itll be like my HPDE diary or somethin

What I did notice as well was when I was driving behind one of the cars that was HPDE 2, I was following their lines. She (my instructor) noticed this without me telling her and she told me to stop it because the HPDE2 level guys' lines were bad/wrong By then she instructed me every single time I executed my move into a turn. My lines were WAY different from the HPDE2 guys whenever I get em perfectly. I only hoped that there were more seat time for that event though. I should have registered for today too but I have to work

oh well. next time it is.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Paulie35th350z

some pics that I found online! wooohooo

exiting the track
Old 03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Congrats man! Looks like you had a blast. Maybe when I get my motor built I'll get back to the track.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
chishifu

my god you make me so jealous! Loved the write up. It reminded me of my first time out there as well... it's something you'll never forget. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

ChiShi
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
sumfknguy

great post man!! makes me wanna give it a go!

and by the way... no pics of your instructor??
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
ppw350Zunit

Originally Posted by sumfknguy

and by the way... no pics of your instructor??
+1
Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
first350

thanks for the write-up...you make it so much harder to wait for my next track day!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
z-u-later

We don't care about the pics of you and your Z. We want pics of your instructor!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:07 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Good for you Paulie, glad you had fun. Maybe I will see you around at an event soon.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job! Probably one of the most intense and brain sucking thing you've done. You're screwed now; until you get married you won't find anything else that will drain your wallet faster. Glad you had a good time.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Paulie35th350z

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wish there was another event that would be held @ the california speedway roval track soon so I could further improve my driving skills here.

The next events from NASA are pretty far from my house.. I think infineon and thunderhill. I guess I will just wait for TCRA on their June event here. Man I am so hooked! I cant wait for my next track event. Initially, my goal was to be able to participate in a time attack event but after my first track experience, it will take me a year or two to be able to participate in one. A more realistic goal for me now is to be HPDE3!

Sorry guys, but I dont have any pictures of my instructor.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
RKnight

YOU ARE OFFICIALLY HOOKED!
Car sounded good from the above the pit suites as you got on the gas leaving pit lane after a drivers change.
Now sign up for the next NASA event at Buttonwillow April 14-15 it really isn't that far of a drive. Maybe we can get a caravan together. Next event on the CA Speedway Roval is May 18-19-20th with SpeedVentures.com
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM
bverschage

nice write up!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Paulie35th350z

I found a pretty good Youtube video of the event.

click on the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7_RKDdHsLs

Last edited by Paulie35th350z; 03-20-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 AM
shinkuu

i'll need to make it out to this track someday. when's the next time you're going to the track? theres a couple weekends in may at streets and horse thief. i'll probably be going to those events.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
knight_white99

Welcome to the fraternity!

Nice write-up. I enjoyed reading it. If I ever see you at a local track event, I would be happy to ride along with you if you would like a little extra instruction or you can ride with me. I like being able to help newbies learn the GOOD habits before they have a chance to learn the BAD ones! And it sounds like you are willing to learn and are humble enough to accept feedback, be it positive or negative. (I am currently an instructor with ProAutosports in Arizona.)

There are other events besides NASA, such as Speed Ventures and Redline Track Events. So don't think that you have to ONLY attend NASA events now.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you had fun,

nice Cwest kit.. i take it that was new before the event too! hehe.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Paulie35th350z

The Cwest kits are a gift from my gf for my bday which was just recently so yeah they are pretty new. The kit that I had on before the Cwest is not really.. hmmm.. how should I say it... race looking(?)/aggressive enough for my taste. I like an aggressive look for the track. I have some crazy thoughts on adding some crazy diffusers and canards and a wing on the car, but since I am still learning on how to go faster, those will come in later for sure. If I do them now, Im not sure if I would know how/be able to utilize them since Im still a noob. I kinda don't want them just for looks. The Cwest kit is enough for now.

I just signed up for Streets of Willow with Redline on 04/20/2007. Ill be driving with an instructor again. I have been downloading in-car videos of the track so I can have an idea where the braking points are/the correct lines and have an idea of the track itself.

Before I got to the California Speedway, I used to watch in-car videos including the one from Eagle1. This helped in giving me the idea of where the braking points were and how I would take a certain corner. My instructor told me that it helps when you watch in-car videos of advanced/pro guys. It becomes somewhat like a documentary actually. Well, to me anyway. Obviously, it is a lot difference when you are actually at the wheel going @ 100-120mph!

For the month of May, I will be on vacation so the Z wont be seeing any track days that month. It will be in hibernation.

For June, I will sign up for the TCRA event which will be @ the California Speedway Roval course again and will be a 3 day affair. June 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. By then, I will have to check the status on my R4 pads if they would still be OK for the Roval course which I highly doubt. I drive with my OEM pads of course. Track with the R4s. But as you all know, the Roval course is pretty hard on the brakes compared to streets of willow. I guess I will just have to see. Hopefully the R4s last for 4-5 track days. By June, I also plan on ridding myself from the T1Rs and picking up some Michelin PS2s, same tire setup as I have or 265/30/19 and 295/30/19. I might also pick up a Sparco EVO2 or some Recaros

I think this will go without saying that since the Roval course is about 10mins away from my house, everytime they hold HPDE/open track events there, I will be participating in it.

PS: I am OBSESSED with track pictures of my car! Were you/are you guys like this too with your cars?

Last edited by Paulie35th350z; 03-23-2007 at 03:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st track day of my C-west Z @ Cal Speed ROVAL track 03/17/07 [pics and short vid]