Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Summit Point Main - Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:51 AM
joeygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Point Main - Lap Times

Just wondering if anyone else on here has run the Summit Main circuit, and what your lap times are? It'd be cool to get a couple of different folks posting to compare and contrast.

Would be helpful to also note your car setup, tires etc.

I ran the track last weekend. Traqmate recorded a laptime of 1:35. It was in a 03 G35 coupe, Kumho MX, sway bars and HP+ pads.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a bone stock Z with OEM tires, you should be able to get down to around a 1:30.

My best was a 1:24.9 - but the T2 guys have been logging times in the low 1:23s.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by joeygill
Just wondering if anyone else on here has run the Summit Main circuit, and what your lap times are? It'd be cool to get a couple of different folks posting to compare and contrast.

I ran the track last weekend. Traqmate recorded a laptime of 1:35. It was in a 03 G35 coupe, Kumho MX, sway bars and HP+ pads.

Your car looked good out there! You were in group 2 right?

My brother was in it with you in his red SE-R with black wheels. I believe you passed him on Sunday!

I was in the SS Z with black wheels in group 3. I didnt keep track of my times, but I'm sure they were slow since it was my first time there and I could seem to carry as much speed as I wanted to into turn 10.

Had alot of fun though! I'll be at VIR north with NASA at the end of July.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 PM
tmak26b

did 29 last year
Old 07-01-2007, 09:10 AM
joeygill

Originally Posted by tmak26b
did 29 last year
Wow! What's your car setup like?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM
tmak26b

245/45/17 azenis and carbotech xp8
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM
joeygill

Originally Posted by Axelerate
Your car looked good out there! You were in group 2 right?

My brother was in it with you in his red SE-R with black wheels. I believe you passed him on Sunday!

I was in the SS Z with black wheels in group 3. I didnt keep track of my times, but I'm sure they were slow since it was my first time there and I could seem to carry as much speed as I wanted to into turn 10.

Had alot of fun though! I'll be at VIR north with NASA at the end of July.
Thanks! You were pretty fast out there, I was trying to look for you in the paddocks, but it was a crazy weekend with the race groups etc.

It was my first time at SP Main as well, and loved it! Which clubs do you usually run with? Will you be doing the NASA SP Main event in August?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 AM
joeygill

Originally Posted by tmak26b
245/45/17 azenis and carbotech xp8
I have lots to learn! =)
Old 07-01-2007, 04:43 PM
tmak26b

I have lots to learn! =)
It's just practice and experience. I do recommend hooking up with a good car/driver so you can follow their lines. When I did the 29, it was my first time at Summit. I simply followed a fast Boxster in the morning and then made to improvements later in the day. There's a more left to the car, but then I didn't push it 100% as I was running with a student in the car.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Axelerate

Thanks! You were pretty fast out there, I was trying to look for you in the paddocks, but it was a crazy weekend with the race groups etc.

It was my first time at SP Main as well, and loved it! Which clubs do you usually run with? Will you be doing the NASA SP Main event in August?

I usually run with NASA, I am going to be in the instructor clinic this month at VIR so I might be instructing at the next SP event.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:45 PM
joeygill

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get you as an instructor! Always useful to have tips from someone who drives a similar car.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should run the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
John

Shenandoah is a fun course - while tight, my Z did very well there.

Nihilation, what's your next project car?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Nihilation

Originally Posted by John
Shenandoah is a fun course - while tight, my Z did very well there.

Nihilation, what's your next project car?
Yea, I'm a big fan of that course. My current project is an E36 sedan with a Vortech blower Unfortunately the monthly Z payments are holding me from making progress with the BMW.

When's the next time you'll be on track out this way John?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Black Duck

I visited summit point for the first time earlier this year - great track. Would like to do VIR at some point.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:35 PM
joeygill

Originally Posted by Nihilation
You should run the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point!
I love the Shenandoah Circuit, I've run it twice now and will be running it again during August 3/4th weekend. I actually like it a little better than SP Main, just cause theres more variations to the track and it doesnt feel as harsh on the car =)
Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 PM
John

Originally Posted by Nihilation
Yea, I'm a big fan of that course. My current project is an E36 sedan with a Vortech blower Unfortunately the monthly Z payments are holding me from making progress with the BMW.

When's the next time you'll be on track out this way John?
Nice. It'll be awhile before I'm out that way again in my own car - but if I'm back for awhile and have some time, I may swing out to the track...

I love the Shenandoah Circuit, I've run it twice now and will be running it again during August 3/4th weekend. I actually like it a little better than SP Main, just cause theres more variations to the track and it doesnt feel as harsh on the car =)
Actually, Shenandoah is a lot harder on tires than it's Main counterpart, and hard on brakes believe it or not...
Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
commasense

Summit Point is my home track, so I've run 57 of my 101 track days on SPR (plus four on Shenandoah and two on the Jefferson circuit). Thirty-seven of the 57 were in the 350Z, 11 were in the 1996 Miata (my first track car), and eight were in the 944 Turbo I briefly owned. I've also done two FATT instructor training days in SP's Caprices. That's more than 2,000 laps around the Main track since 1999.

You didn't ask about other cars, but my best time in the Miata, six years ago, was 1:41.9. It was bone stock with street tires and pads. (I'm sure I could do much better in that car today.) Best time in the Porsche, also bone stock except for pads, was 1:36.7.

My best time in the Z, also bone stock, but with RA-1s and track pads, was 1:29.6, and I consistently run low 1:30s.

I hate, hate, hate Shenandoah. Too much track crowded into too little space. I don't mind a blind corner every once in a while, but a track full of them is just too much. It's a whole lot of work and just not my idea of a fun drive. I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to having another circuit at my home track.

I was just watching the IRL race at Watkins Glen today. Their best times are around 1:30, so I looked up my times at the Glen, and my best was 2:25. Rather sobering.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
tmak26b

A little more run off space would be a wonderful addition to the track. It's a fun track, but it's definitely not a world class track. I rate it along the same line as Pocono, a little lower than LRP.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Nihilation

Originally Posted by commasense
I hate, hate, hate Shenandoah. Too much track crowded into too little space. I don't mind a blind corner every once in a while, but a track full of them is just too much. It's a whole lot of work and just not my idea of a fun drive. I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to having another circuit at my home track.
Too technical for you eh? Of course driving that track is a lot of work, it takes a lot of finesse to be fast there, and that's why it's one of my favorites. It separates the "I just want to drive fast with a few turns here and there" people from the real drivers. My $.02

And my best lap time there in the Z on street tires/pads in full circuit configuration w/out the pit straight was 1:45.4. Long live the Shenandoah Circuit!

Last edited by Nihilation; 07-09-2007 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Summit Point Main - Lap Times