Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

My CWest Ultra Yellow Z @ Streets of Willow 06/30/2007 + Relentless Z [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Paulie35th350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CWest Ultra Yellow Z @ Streets of Willow 06/30/2007 + Relentless Z [PICS]

Hello everyone. Probably half of the population of the 350z owners in this forum were in the Huntington Beach meet on 06/30, there were some guys with fast Z's at the Willow Springs International Raceway and Streets of Willow. I am proud to say that I am one of the fast guys now.. well not really hehehe. Im getting there though.

Ran the Streets of Willow Clockwise with the bowl and skidpad. This was a private event that only consisted of 25 cars all day!!! LOTS of track time. The only thing that was going to hold you back was the heat that accumulated in your helmet while driving in the car. But you dont care about it anymore because of the fun you are having at the track! One example would be one 996 owner ran the track from 9:30 until 10:45!!!! Weather was very sunny, 109 degrees Fahrenheit but breezy. I got burnt.

There were three 350z's, a yellow roadster, a chrome silver one and mine. There was one old school Z that was insanely fast! There was good variety of nice cars that showed up as well: 911s, Boxsters, Elise, STi, M3, WRX, S2000, RS6, Corvettes, and 2 race prepped EF Civics.

My progress: I believe I am definitely faster because I was able to pass some of the cars that I have mentioned above (STi's, Elise's, WRX, S2000, 350z's) and these guys are no noob drivers at all. There was one incident where I passed a WRX and I guess he watched me from behind. He tried to catch up on me on the turns after the chicanes of the track he then started to lose it, but he was able to correct it then left the track. He then came up to me when I was hangin out @ the paddock and complimented me on my good driving skills and line taking (confidence booster!) I was also able to keep up with the old school Z. although I wasnt reeling him in, he was not losing me. The porsches were the same, although they are definitely faster on the front and back straights, I was able to put pressure on them from behind (well at least I think I did)

The car:
Tein MonoFlex with EDFC
Nitto NT01 245/40/18, 275/40/18 psi @ 30 cold, 37 when hot
Cusco Sways
SPC camber 3.1 front, 2.0 rear
Aligned and corner balanced by Steve Mitchell of M-Workz

HANDLED GREAT!!!! Faster cornering speeds than before, gave me +15-20mph in the turns. I was able to reel in on some of the cars that were there. The EDFC is great! I set the settings on my first few sessions @ 6 front 8 back (0 is stiffest, 16 is softest) then later on, switched it to 2 front, 4 rear which was SOOOO much better!!!! The car is very responsive. Although there was one time when I understeered @ turn 3, stepping on the gas made it move forward and actually corrected itself. It was great! (I wish I could explain this a lot better like Eagle1). The whole suspension components and the settings worked in unison. The car handles SO MUCH better than my first setup. I LOVE IT!!! Will run the Streets of Willow again 07/21/2007 with Redline.

Speedventures was running the big Willow track. Saw Mike (SinCity350z) and Scott there with their Relentless Time Attack Z. It was nice to meet you guys! Are you 2 running the Cali Speedway Infield this month? If so, Ill see you there! I think at the speedventures event, there were 4-5 350z's that were running. Its nice to find and meet some other Z owners at the track. I have so many buddies with EVOs and STis now because of the lack of participation from the Z owners during track days. Hopefully that will change now in the future.

Here are some more pictures:

Turn 3

Hot Version Touge!!! S2K vs 350Z vs STi

The Z says: "Im gonna get you S2K!"

The fast old school Z

Impreza battle!!!

Quick Elise

after track day.
Here are some Big Willow track Speedventures pics @ the pits:

Relentless Autosports Time Attack 350z

C6 Z06

Asuka 350z (Lots of carbon fiber stuff)

Another 350z

The VRT bumble bee was there but I didnt get a chance to take pictures of it. There were I think 3 more Z's that I did not get a chance to take pics of as well. I had a really good time despite being burnt by the weather.

Last edited by Paulie35th350z; 07-03-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 PM
350Z84

Nice looking pictures. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff. I'll also be running at SOW on Jul 21. I have a white G35 sedan. I'll be sure to say hi.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice meeting you as well and thanks for taking pics! We brought two cameras and didn't take a single picture lol. The event was fun but HOT. Got some good feedback for Jim on the GT30 setup as well.

I don't think we will make Cal Speedway. We have the Super Street Time Attack this coming weekend back out at Big Willow and then its time for some downtime to recharge our bank accounts and finish up the work on the car that we weren't able to get done in time for the time attack (paint, cams, clutch, etc.)
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
bam025

nice pics....
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Paulie, nice to finally meet you. Sory I was so busy there and didn't realy get any time to talk alot. Hope to see you again soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On 6/30 I was there with Speedventures at the big track instructing in the white and yellow groups and running in the red group. Ran consistently around 1:42 with a couple 1:41s and some higher 1:4xs when I goofed up. Got passed by a lot of the red group cars though. A bunch of us old Datsun guys were in the red group.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^Man there were a ton of people from the forums there lol. Like Scott said above, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet a lot of you we were busy with the car and just trying to stay out of the heat. I don't feel too bad though, most of you didn't introduce yourselves to us either and my car sticks out like a sore thumb so no excuses .
Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 PM
betamotorsports

Since I was either driving or instructing in 3 of the 4 run groups, I was pretty busy and didn't have much time to socialize. My original intent was to just do some testing on my 350Z in the Red group but Aaron from SV called a few days before the event and begged me (and others) to help instruct. Seems they got a couple corporate customers who brought a ton of newbies to the event.

Every time I was going around the track and saw a 350Z I kept telling myself, "I gotta find that guy in the pits and say Hi." Then I was running and jumping into another car showing someone the line. I ended up doing a bunch of laps in a mid-90s Toyota Avalon that had an automatic and treadwear 600 tires and a Neon SRT-4 with the frickin' worst short shift kit ever invented. The most fun was a black Lotus Motorsports Elise.

Last edited by betamotorsports; 07-03-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Sunset350ZR

So did the roadster that ran there have the oem rollbar or some type of modification to allow it to run?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:09 PM
betamotorsports

WSIR generally allows any car to run at the Streets track, including open cockpit cars. On the big track, open cockpit cars have to have some form of rollover protection. Generally that means OEM roll bars or aftermarket at a minimum. There are exceptions to the above depending on the sanctioning body hosting the event.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:40 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
So did the roadster that ran there have the oem rollbar or some type of modification to allow it to run?
I don't think the roadster ran. He just came to watch.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Since I was either driving or instructing in 3 of the 4 run groups, I was pretty busy and didn't have much time to socialize. My original intent was to just do some testing on my 350Z in the Red group but Aaron from SV called a few days before the event and begged me (and others) to help instruct. Seems they got a couple corporate customers who brought a ton of newbies to the event.

Every time I was going around the track and saw a 350Z I kept telling myself, "I gotta find that guy in the pits and say Hi." Then I was running and jumping into another car showing someone the line. I ended up doing a bunch of laps in a mid-90s Toyota Avalon that had an automatic and treadwear 600 tires and a Neon SRT-4 with the frickin' worst short shift kit ever invented. The most fun was a black Lotus Motorsports Elise.
I know the feeling. Instructing can be VERY tiring. I would have liked to take a ride around with you to see the line. It was my first time at Big Willow and I feel like I am having trouble with the balcony area and where the short braking zone starts in the big sweeper before the radius decreases. There are no points of reference in that area and I end up braking somewhere different every time lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
izmir41500

man that blue z is hot.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
John

I'm sure chomping at the bit to get back on track... *sigh*

Will see you all out there - eventually...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^How's the Exige conversion coming John?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up and pictures Paulie. Great to see the enthusiasm and excitement conveyed in your descriptions. My car is down for some additional mods, but more than that, wearing a nomex three layer fire retardant suit in 109F temps is only barely second behind sticking my head into a revolving door as an experience to endure. Guess I am just getting too old! Sorry to miss you and Mike B and Scott and Mike A and all the regulars, but I will be out there soon.

Check out the next issue of Nissan Sport Magazine, guys. They invited me to do the test drive on the new G37 and do part of the cover article. It was great fun and I shall be interested in what you think of it, as it is my "maiden voyage" as a contributor. Also a section on driving Laguna Seca, with a link to their website and some video. Hopefully I will get some good vid for WSIR and do that one in a future issue.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:27 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^Very cool Ed! That must have been a ton of fun. Hopefully we will see you back out there soon.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 AM
John

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
^^^How's the Exige conversion coming John?
Just doing the rear end so I can afford some room for an intercooler - front end will simply be getting a splitter... Should have the car back in 4 weeks, just in time for me to go on vacation.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Paulie35th350z

I sure would love to drive a lotus on the track. That would be a lot of fun.

I signed up for a transponder for the redline track event on 06/21/2007 to see where I stand. Im not sure if I should go for a transponder on the speedventures event though.

By the way, the yellow roadster did run the track as well. He's all stock. He was just cruising though. Unfortunately, on the way to the track, I saw him and his 3 friends (STi, RS6, 911) pulled over on to the side of the road. They got tickets for speeding Im pretty sure that ruined their day.

Betamotorsports, if you are instructing on the speedventures event @ cali speedway this month, if its ok, maybe you can give me a ride and show me the line of the track there?

Eagle1, you missed out on the hot weather, sunburn, and possible heat stroke symptoms. I will sign up for the buttonwillow event in september and spring mountain track with in november (when the temps drop) with speedventures. If you dont mind, I will ask you for some tips on that big track soon. Laguna Seca is also one track I would love to drive in. That would be really fun!

Im a track *****!!!
See you guys out there!

Quick Reply: My CWest Ultra Yellow Z @ Streets of Willow 06/30/2007 + Relentless Z [PICS]