Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Laguna Seca NOV 9 to 11 Redline Time Attack

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM
SuperKool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna Seca NOV 9 to 11 Redline Time Attack

Hey all,

Who's going to Laguna?
This is THE event if you want to get in on the Redline Time Attack Final Round. It's our last event of the season and the Time Attack finals.
If you like big events with lots going on, then this is the event for you.

And for those who are driving, you'll be happy to hear we're only running 25 cars max per run group, so you'll get plenty of quality track time if you only want to run the HPDE on Friday and/or Saturday.

For or time attack drivers, you'll be happy to know we'll have Speed Channels "Redline TV" out covering the event along with all our regular magazine and SpeedTV.com coverage. This event is sure to make your sponsors happy.

Here is the link: http://redlinetimeattack.com/index-6laguna07.htm

Hope to see some 350's at this one. It's our first time out at Laguna and it's going to be an awesome event!

Oh, BTW, in case you hadn't heard. A 350Z driven by Scott Bush was the first 350 to win a class division at a Redline Time Attack at VIR last month.
He won the Modified class overall. A feat normally dominated by EVO's and STI's. Great job on that victory! I knew a 350 could pull it off!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:30 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know we will be there!
Old 10-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be there! Taken quite a bit of time to get the car back together after the Ultimate Street Car Challenge so she can run the track again. Looking forward to seeing Mike B and Scott and that wicked Z. That car is dialed for the high hp Laguna Seca circuit, for sure.

And I have to see those incredible helmets Mike and Scott have that Andy Lutz painted for them.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be good to see you out there again Ed, you have been there so many times its like having a home track advantage!

How did your helmet turn out by the way? Is it done?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 PM
daveh

My stock powered Z won't fare to well at the time attack format. I might go to cheer on some of my local friends.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
It will be good to see you out there again Ed, you have been there so many times its like having a home track advantage!

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I cannot wait to get back out there again. It really took a chunk out of my track year to diddle with the USCC. It was a very interesting experience to watch it all going on, but I would much rather get back to driving.

As for the track, indeed Laguna Seca has a special place in my heart as it is the first circuit I drove my car on, and also the first one I took lessons at (Skip Barber's 3 day school and the car control clinic program too). The Monterey peninsula is beautiful and a great place to go to drive, have good food and spend some time enjoying scenery, the acquarium, etc.

Andy has had my helmet for about three weeks now, and I do not have it back yet. My design concept was quite unusual and complex I guess, and so it is something of a challenge for him to get it done the way he likes. As long as I get it back in time to run LS it does not really matter. Hopefully soon and then we can post up some pictures.

Not sure there is any "home field" advantage....it is 400+ miles away after all!
It is not the most technically demanding track out there, but it has a couple of turns that are very challenging. My biggest concern this time out is making the sound limit. The TT is a noisy beast as you know, and with a 92db max for sound we have an issue to confront. The beast is putting out about 94-96 db under WOT up the hill from Turn 5 by the sound station. We will see if a couple of elbow extension help out.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:36 PM
mistico

Can we sign up just for the trackday portion on Saturday? Not sure I want to do the time attack but I've had the Z at laguna and it's been the most fun track so far.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:38 PM
SuperKool

Originally Posted by mistico
Can we sign up just for the trackday portion on Saturday? Not sure I want to do the time attack but I've had the Z at laguna and it's been the most fun track so far.
Yes, you can sign up for Friday / Saturday with out competing in the Time Attack.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z

Andy just emailed me and said the job is done, clear coat tomorrow. So, ought to be getting it back and with pictures sometime next week. I have no idea what he has done specifically, just a basic concept we agreed on. No hints, I will just put it up and you can have your own conclusions. It is definitely going to be different....pretty sure this is a "first time" even for Andy!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Hey, here's a question for you guys. What qualifications do you need to run in these events? Reason I ask is that I will be moving to Monterey, CA next year, courtesy of the USMC, and Laguna Seca is right there, as you well you know! I'm currently NASA HPDE 3 certified, (expect to pass the HPDE 4 check ride at the next NASA event, for thoughts of running NASA TT next year)

Any special qualifications needed for these redline time attack events?

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Hey, here's a question for you guys. What qualifications do you need to run in these events? Reason I ask is that I will be moving to Monterey, CA next year, courtesy of the USMC, and Laguna Seca is right there, as you well you know! I'm currently NASA HPDE 3 certified, (expect to pass the HPDE 4 check ride at the next NASA event, for thoughts of running NASA TT next year)

Thanks
Dave
Dave:
Here is the link to the rules page for Redline Time Attacks.
Check the various categories on the left of the page.
Tire choice is a very important element of the class you will run in.

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-2.html

Ed
Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I may drive the event on Friday with the Speedventures crew, but will also attend on Sat and/or Sun to cheer on the locals...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
You don't need anything special, and you've already been linked to the "rules". If you'd like to drive Seca in a non-Time Attack function, many groups frequent there over the course of the year. We just drove there with Speedventures earlier this month as one example.

www.speedventures.com

PM me if you're interested in other events at Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, etc. It'd be fun to have other Z32s out there!

EDIT: Greenflag Driving Association will be at Seca on 12/22. I also frequent events with HOD (www.hookedondriving.com)

SS

Last edited by scotts300; 10-23-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by daveh
My stock powered Z won't fare to well at the time attack format. I might go to cheer on some of my local friends.
i thought redline had a street class that you could get in.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
sakred

I will be there on Friday. i would like to compete in the street class but i don't have tires that are DOT legal. oh well hope to see you guys out there.

Hammad
Old 10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by Billhyco
i thought redline had a street class that you could get in.
They do, but you can run FI in street class if you run with tires that have 140+treadwear. LS is a high hp friendly track, so if you are NA in your Z, you are going to be at a disadvantage because the power to weight ratio is not high enough to propel you through Turn 5 and up the steep incline through Turn 6, then the Rahal Straight and Turn 7 to the top of the hill and then leveling out at the Corkscrew of 8-8A. All together it is a full 300 foot vertical climb. TORQUE and HP all the way. Though lesser in advantage, the burst from Turn 11 up the front straight, under the bridge and up and over the hill also rewards the big power cars.

Last edited by Eagle1; 10-22-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Eagle1
They do, but you can run FI in street class if you run with tires that have 140+treadwear. LS is a high hp friendly track, so if you are NA in your Z, you are going to be at a disadvantage because the power to weight ratio is not high enough to propel you through Turn 5 and up the steep incline through Turn 6, then the Rahal Straight and Turn 7 to the top of the hill and then leveling out at the Corkscrew of 8-8A. All together it is a full 300 foot vertical climb. TORQUE and HP all the way. Though lesser in advantage, the burst from Turn 11 up the front straight, under the bridge and up and over the hill also rewards the big power cars.
^^^^^ What Ed, said. The most fun part of the Street Class is that the registered owner has to drive it.

Street class rules:

The Street Class is designed for stock to modified "daily driven" vehicles. Street Class is home for the grassroots enthusiast or tuner shop looking to prove they have they fastest vehicle on street tires.

Rules for Street Class Cars:
- Professional drivers are not eligible to drive in Street Class

- Vehicle must be registered for use on public roadways. Vehicles entered into Street Class MUST show proof of current registration to Redline Time Attack event registration personnel.

- Replacement or removal of OEM glass prohibited.

- All Street Class vehicles must use DOT street tires with a UTQG tread wear rating of 140 or higher, Tires with UTQG tread wear rating under 140 are not permitted in Street Class

-“Full carbon fiber bodied” vehicles prohibited from Street Class

- Carbon Fiber and other light weight material may be implemented in place of OEM Hoods and Trunks/Hatches.

- OEM Doors, quarter panels and roofs must be kept in place.

- Front under tray cannot go rearward past the center-line of the front axle

- Rear under tray cannot go forward past the center-line of the rear axle

-Sequential Gear Boxes Not Permitted in Street Class.

- No Fender Flares

- No Wide-Body Kits

- No Suspension that utilizes remote reservoirs unless the reservoir is integrated to primary dampener body

- No 3-Way Adjustable Dampeners (3-Way meaning adjustability of BOTH Low and High speed settings for BOTH Compression and Rebound. Adjustment of Height is not considered one of the 3-Ways of adjustability.

- Two-Way Adjustable dampeners are ALLOWED

- Convertibles with hard tops can utilize Carbon Fiber/Aluminum/Fiberglass hard tops

- Replacement of drivers and passenger seat with aftermarket seats is permitted.

-Passenger seat cannot be entirely removed.

-Interior components behind driver seat may be entirely removed

-Vehicle’s carpet may be entirely removed.

-Vehicle headliner may be removed.

-OEM Dash, OEM Center console and OEM front door panels must remain. All components associated with and connected to the Dash, Center Console and Door Panels must also remain. These include items such as, but not limited to: Center arm rest, glove box, venting, ducts, OEM gauge cluster, left/center/right kick panels, etc.

- Roll cages are permitted in Street class *if roll cage necessitates door bars that require removal or cutting of OEM door panel, then OEM door panel may be removed or altered only for installation of roll cage. A safety inspection of the roll cage will be performed. If the roll cage is deemed to be unsafe by the Chief of Inspections, the vehicle will not be permitted to participate in the event. Front door factory glass may also be removed if a roll cage is installed with door-bars that necessitate the removal of the glass in order to make way for the door bars.

- Factory restraints are permitted for any vehicle in street class. If four/five/six point harness is utilized, car must have harness bar installed.

- Snell 2000 or higher rated helmet required.

- Convertibles allowed on track with roll bars. Some cars with factory roll protection are allowed if they are equipped with a factory OEM roll protection system. Check with your car manufacture to determine the effectiveness of roll protection.

- See "Vehicle Classification List" For List of Vehicles Relegated to Modified Class or Unlimited Class. i.e. some vehicles will NOT be permitted in the Street Class due to specific horse power or other specifications. For example, a Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT will be relegated to the Unlimited class due to there "super car" specification.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by scotts300
- All Street Class vehicles must use DOT street tires with a UTQG tread wear rating of 140 or higher, Tires with UTQG tread wear rating under 140 are not permitted in Street Class

Hmm, I can't find the tread wear rating anywhere on my G-Force R1's, but even though they are DOT legal, I have a feeling they wouldn't qualify...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Oh, never mind, I found it on the BFGoodrich website. Tread wear rating is 40. not gonna make it!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Eagle1

Oh, never mind, I found it on the BFGoodrich website. Tread wear rating is 40. not gonna make it!

Yes. Basically, most of your DOT-R type rubber is going to be between 50 and 100 treadwear rating. I think that the Kumho and Hoosiers are softer and thus toss you into the unlimited class just on that basis alone, along with the "slicks" full on race tires.

But you can come out and have a great time no matter what you run. If you have not gone to LS, and this is a time that works for you, then come. It is a good group of folks and lots of fun. You do the best with what you bring, and that is the challenge.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca NOV 9 to 11 Redline Time Attack