Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Great Pocono Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM
ldstang50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Pocono Track Day

I brought my camera, but every time I went out it crapped out on me. I think it was the vibrations that caused it to automatically shutoff.
The only video I've been able to find is this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHJGMHHQlW0
I go by at the 1:05 mark.
Results can be found here
http://www.cartct.com/07-20-09.shtml
What an awesome day! These track days keep getting better and better.
Got done there on Sunday at around 2pm. Was there with a bunch of friends. Sat around the patio by the pool, drank and told stories. We all went out, about 20 of us to get pizza that night, came back, drank some more, then went to bed around 11 or so. Was up early and at the track at 7am. Found out we had to share the garage with the Miata guys, not a big deal, but the track dropped the ball big time. Only half the garages were open, so our 40 guys and there 60 or so guys are trying to cram into the garages. Many of us had to park outside. But we lived.
Go out with an instructor for a few laps to learn the line then head out on my own, do my usual thing, going easy, getting car placement then eventually getting up to speed.
The course we are running is Pocono South, we use Nascar turn 1, then dive into the infied for a double apex left hander. Short chute before hard on the brakes and down to 2nd gear for a left hander that takes you out to the hairpin, tight 180deg right hander, exit that, to a slight bend left shift up to 3rd, slight bend right then on the brakes to settle the car for a left hander, the last infield corner before bending left onto the trioval and going into Nascar turn 1.
I forget which session 2nd or 3rd I join up with Quick Nick, who also has a 350z, an 03 that I've talked about a lot before. We head out nose to tail and I follow him for 5 or 6 laps, then he points me by where I lead for 5 or 6 laps, then I point him by to lead once again. We were nose to tail to entire time, going as hard as we could. My car pulls harder than his in 4th gear, his car got into the infield and the first 2 lefts better than mine, the hairpin I was quicker than him then we were even until we hit the straight.
When Nick was leading I would tuck up on his rear bumper on the straight and almost push him along. He actually said after he could feel the difference when I was right on him.
We were going as hard as we could, following Nick taught me the correct ballsy way to get into the infield. It starts with a late brake and staying up against the wall, on the brakes hard in a straight line then trail off as you input steering. The will start to rotate, when done correctly, you hit your first apex, steering wheel straight and using the throttle to keep it rotating slightly, through the 2nd apex and onto the short chute. This is where a lot of people spin trying to carry in too much speed. I had a few moments during the day of getting real out of shape here because of trying different lines and braking points.
The other fun spots for me where the bend onto the straight the left hander before that. The left hander I would drop 3/4 of the car off into the inside dirt, shortening my line. I was carrying enough speed where the inside tires weren't really making much contact. Then the bend onto the straight I would keep it floored whenever else would lift. I'd put two tires over the inside grass then carry the line onto the banking. The car would compress when entering the banking then get light, my car would actually slide through here to the point where I actually had to put in counter steer to keep it straight. A lot of fun, considering there's a concrete retaining wall just to my right.
After Nick and I play, we pull off and we are both smiling ear to ear. We bulls*** for a bit then walk into paddock. His hotlap timer has us at 49.5-49.7 second lap times, good enough to easily be the fastest cars there that day.
Timed runs come up and Nick and I head out at the same time. My first lap is a 50.08, but my tires are cold. I try carrying more speed into the infield, get the car crossed up and slide the cars rear tires off into the grass thus killing my lap time. I cross with a 50.9. I know I easily have 49s in the car, maybe 48s, but that will have to wait till later in the year when we go back.
For the team relay event, I was on a team fo 4 cars which meant one of us had to run twice.....guess who was selected. I'm the first one out for my team and on my 2nd or 3rd lap I catch a mustang in the infield. I expect him to run me up the banking (our only passing zone) but he runs all the way up to the wall, blocking me. The only legal passing is on the right, I had timed myself to get my run and pass him on the right, I had worked all way up to the wall, but when he blocked me I had no where to go but left to avoid hitting him. I did this infront of everyone, disqualifying our team because of an illegal pass. I plead my cause and tell my team members to keep running. I also do the last stint of the relay, I launch right with a 330whp Evo next me, but my clutch decides it doesn't want to play. She slips something fierce in 1st, grab 2nd and she slips and 3rd and to make matters better, my cluch pedal won't come off the floor. I literally have to reach down with my left hand pull my clutch up. I go easy for the next lap to make sure everything still works, if my clutch continues to slip I'll be coming, but it works just fine and its on to catch the evo. I catch him on my 2nd lap and make a pass on him on the banking. As he put it, he doesn't have the cahones to stay in it on the banking. He later tells me he's doing 115mph when I pass him. I work my way up the leaders but can't catch them in time to make a legal pass. We are nose to tail heading into the last turn, the leader breaks off for a 6th lap....which costs them the win, Paul O is in front of me and we turn right to the finish, I figure we have nothing to lose and pass him on the left....yes another left side pass and beat him to the finish by less than a car length.
We plead our case...or my case for the illegal pass on the mustang but to no avail, we are DQ'd. I have a little chat with the mustang driver telling him I don't appreciate being run up like that. I don't mind working for the pass, but the rules state you can not block and he clearly blocked.
Oh well such is the case
I ended up coming home first in class and setting FTD by almost .9seconds, which would have been more if I didn't screw up my last lap and set a new class record. Right now my timed run I'm off the course record for the club by 1.7 seconds. New tires, and better brakes I think I might have a shot at coming close to it. Record holder is a Diasio 962 at a 48.3.
Current brake pads are HP+ with Motul 600f fluid. I just about toasted the pads and need to change the fluid.
Next one is Aug 28th. Anyone wanna try it?