Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Trying to understand NASA classification lingo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
AmorZ_Fati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to understand NASA classification lingo

Hey guys, I don't post on here very often. However that will be changing in the weeks to come. I own a 05 Ultra Yellow Z 6mt and have had it for over 2 years now. I've always been into tracking my car and have never been into "street racing."

This winter I plan on prepping my car to compete in NASA TT events and I'm looking to stay in the TTC series, thats where the Z seems to be most competetive. I live in VA so VIR and Road Atlanta is where I will most likely frequent most. I have taken the Z to a few events, but mostly closed, private and some drift events.

Anyways now to my main question. I've been looking at the modification point system to see what I can spend and what I need to improve, but all the big words are bamboozling me

These are the question(s) that I need explained if possiable..

) Non-OEM shocks/struts/dampers with an external reservoir or more than two ranges of adjustment +10 (example: compression (bump) and both high & low rebound adjustments)(must still take points for springs below).
In other words...coilovers?

Thanks for your time and consideration. Any/all input is appreciated
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

How far along are you in the HPDE chronology?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
AmorZ_Fati

I haven't done any. So I know I shouldn't even be worry about TTC.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some Fortune 500 coilovers and I just didn't want to regret it down the line
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, coil overs are not considered more than 2 adjustments...an adjustment in this case is MORE than 2 adjustments for bump and rebound...so 10 points is for seriously expensive shocks

normal coil overs would fall into this area:

Non-OEM or modified/re-valved shocks/struts/dampers +3 (all others)(springs not included)
plus
Non-OEM or modified coil springs, leaf springs/spacers/brackets, or torsion bars +2

PM me if you want talk about this...

Originally Posted by AmorZ_Fati

Anyways now to my main question. I've been looking at the modification point system to see what I can spend and what I need to improve, but all the big words are bamboozling me

These are the question(s) that I need explained if possiable..

In other words...coilovers?

Thanks for your time and consideration. Any/all input is appreciated
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
laze1

don't waste your time on coil-overs for HPDE...once you move up to TT...just buy some Koni Yellows and the biggest and stickiest tires you have points for...and then drive the shiat out of the car...

Last edited by laze1; 09-16-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
AmorZ_Fati

My goal..or at least idea was

Keep tires at Base class: 255 on all 4s +0
-Like some star specs
I have TPs +1
Fab the rest of the exhaust with an H/X pipe and straight the rest of the way +2
Coilovers+5
ATI damper +1
and because I don't know what else yet8 total

I run carbotech pads on stock calipers...Have an oil cooler..
Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
laze1

Cheapest/fastest way to run in TT is buy the biggest stickiest tires you can fit under the fenders and stay in your desired class...shocks/springs/swaybars make it easier to drive...but not a whole lot faster in a competent drivers hands.

My goal..or at least idea was

Keep tires at Base class: 255 on all 4s +0
-Like some star specs
I have TPs +1
Fab the rest of the exhaust with an H/X pipe and straight the rest of the way +2
Coilovers+5
ATI damper +1
and because I don't know what else yet8 total

I run carbotech pads on stock calipers...Have an oil cooler..
Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 PM
l30thelion

Classing gets even more interesting when you class the car by Hp/Wt Ratio aka Dyno Re-class.

Check out this post for some options: https://my350z.com/forum/8949742-post11.html

You should definitely look into classing based on Hp/Wt.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM
AmorZ_Fati

Originally Posted by laze1
Cheapest/fastest way to run in TT is buy the biggest stickiest tires you can fit under the fenders and stay in your desired class...shocks/springs/swaybars make it easier to drive...but not a whole lot faster in a competent drivers hands.
i understand the completely, but is that enough to stay competitive?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
laze1

a 350z is not competitive to start with in PT or TT...so if your are planning on running the National Championships...you have the wrong car..

But yes, a good driver with fat tires (A6 or R6 Hooosiers) and stock shocks/springs/ASB can win a local event...IF a M3 or Mustang GT or S2000 with good drivers don't show up.

i understand the completely, but is that enough to stay competitive?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 PM
laze1

Is your car a Track Model?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM
AmorZ_Fati

Touring

I just want to go out and have fun. Thats what I do at the local events anyway.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 PM
l30thelion

For the heck of it, here is the setup I would use to be as competitive as possible:

+7 Base Class TTD* (Hp/Wt re-class of 235whp/3195lbs or 240whp/3260lbs)
+14 255/18 Hoosiers A6 all around
+2 Sways
+5 Coilovers
+2 Calipers
+1 LSD
+4 Camber arms
+0 4.08 Gears

+35 Total

Would end up in TTC w/ 4 points to spare, I think it could be competitive.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 AM
laze1

I don't think you can do that...have you discussed this with a NASA official? the key here is that only certian cars in certian situations can be re-classed based on HP to Wt.

5.4.1 National PT Director Assigned Re-Classing
The following rules apply to:
Cars that have an added, modified, or upgraded turbocharger or supercharger.
Cars that have a non-OEM head(s) or increased number of camshafts (hybrid engines).
Engine swap vehicles that have been designated as requiring dynamometer testing by the
National PT Director.
Cars with Rotary Engines that have been ported.
Other vehicles that have been designated by the National PT Director to be classed based on
dynamometer testing.
(The Dyno testing procedures also apply whenever dynamometer testing is used as a noninvasive
tool to help determine technical compliance with the classification rules for any car.)
The owner/driver must submit the maximum dynamometer horsepower and torque numbers, and
the minimum competition weight of the vehicle (with driver) to the National PT Director, by email
(greg@nasa-tt.com), prior to the car’s first competition in order to be assigned a new A-H
base class (for those cars requiring re-classification). All competitors will be required to include
the latest certified Dynamometer (Dyno) report and minimum weight in their vehicle logbook at
all times. Any subsequent modifications or adjustments done to the car that could alter power
output will require repeat Dyno testing, and a new certified Dyno report. NASA Officials may
request repeat Dyno testing at any other time.
Once a vehicle is re-classed based on Dyno testing and its minimum competition weight, an
Official re-classing e-mail will be sent to the competitor, stating the new base class, the new base
tire size, and the maximum Dyno horsepower and minimum competition weight limits, as well as
any other specific limitations for that particular re-classification. The competitor must include a
copy of the Official re-classing e-mail, along with the certified Dyno report when submitting the
PT Car Classification Form to the Regional PT or Race Director before competition.

Originally Posted by l30thelion
For the heck of it, here is the setup I would use to be as competitive as possible:

+7 Base Class TTD* (Hp/Wt re-class of 235whp/3195lbs or 240whp/3260lbs)
+14 255/18 Hoosiers A6 all around
+2 Sways
+5 Coilovers
+2 Calipers
+1 LSD
+4 Camber arms
+0 4.08 Gears

+35 Total

Would end up in TTC w/ 4 points to spare, I think it could be competitive.

Last edited by laze1; 09-17-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 AM
laze1

Nissan 350Z (287hp)('03-'05)(enth. ok) PTC 3188
Nissan 350Z (300hp)('06)(enth. ok) PTC 3339
Nissan 350Z (306hp)('07-'08)(enth. ok) PTC* 3320
Nissan 350Z Nismo ('07-'08) PTB 3350
Nissan 350Z Roadster ('06) PTD* 3602
Nissan 350Z Track ('05-'06),35ann, GT PTC*
Nissan 350Z Track Model ('03-'04) PTC* 3225

(* denotes a
seven (7) point initial assessment, and ** denotes a fourteen (14) point initial assessment
that gets added to the total number of modification points for the purpose of upclassing).
Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 AM
laze1

My best speed tip is to pay only $9.39 to get more speed out of your car...

only $9.39

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...487ZHT7EPM2216
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 AM
l30thelion

Originally Posted by laze1
I don't think you can do that...have you discussed this with a NASA official? the key here is that only certian cars in certian situations can be re-classed based on HP to Wt.
I thought that too, but any car can be dyno-reclassed. I am sure of it because that is how my car is currently classed see forms here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...vbPOo6ox&hl=en

Hope this helps, I believe you run PTB, maybe w/ a dyno-reclass you could go back to PTC w/ your current mods...depending on your Hp/Wt that is. What is the Hp/Wt on your Z?

Last edited by l30thelion; 09-17-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 AM
laze1

Well, I have just learned something very important...Thnx!

I have 250WHP on a NASA approved dyno, and weigh 3250 with driver and fuel after a race...I can add/remove (75lb) ballast as needed

2004 Track Model
base class of PTC*
I take points for:
non- oem shocks, 3
non oem springs, 2
non oem sway bars, 2
no cats, 1
non oem exhaust, 2
front camber arms, 4 (this is the killer)
Hoosier r6, 10
275 tires 4
modified diff, 1
modified intact (plenum spacer) 1
Total points 37, reclass up to PTB

I would LOVE to try to reclass down so that I can add some Aero to the car...I will soon be talking with Greg...

THNX!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, not sure why you are so fixated on NASA. We are blessed in the Mid-Atlantic area with other options.
My suggestion is to move up thorough the HPDE ranks with organizations like Trackdaze, Tarheel Sports Car Club/Triangle Z and Asphalt Ventures. You will literally get MORE THAN DOUBLE the track time per $ than you would with NASA.
Then, when you get to Blue group, you can run time trials with Tarheel/Triangle Z
http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/
Let me just emphasize that NASA is a really well run organization. I'm only saying that there are other options for you that may be a better fit, particularly given your choice of car. To my knowledge, no-one is running a 350Z in TT with NASA in the Mid-Atlantic region, for all of the reasons discussed above.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM
laze1

Agreed! I only ran with NASA 1 time to get a "check ride" for TT, then ran TT 3 times, then went to competition school, then started W2W racing. I ONLY RAN WITH NASA TO GO W2W RACING!
I did all my HPDE with the Porsche and BMW clubs, Chin, and a few other local clubs.

As stated, you don't get the same track time with NASA as you do with other clubs...however you may get better instruction W/NASA.

If you don't have 10-15 HPDE days under your belt, don't even think about TT or W2W...even if you are fast Only move up when you are the fastest car on the track...even in a 350Z you can smoke many a very expensive Porsche/Vette/BMW/etc if you can drive the shiate outta the Z car.

Originally Posted by reserved
OP, not sure why you are so fixated on NASA. We are blessed in the Mid-Atlantic area with other options.
My suggestion is to move up thorough the HPDE ranks with organizations like Trackdaze, Tarheel Sports Car Club/Triangle Z and Asphalt Ventures. You will literally get MORE THAN DOUBLE the track time per $ than you would with NASA.
Then, when you get to Blue group, you can run time trials with Tarheel/Triangle Z
http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/
Let me just emphasize that NASA is a really well run organization. I'm only saying that there are other options for you that may be a better fit, particularly given your choice of car. To my knowledge, no-one is running a 350Z in TT with NASA in the Mid-Atlantic region, for all of the reasons discussed above.

Last edited by laze1; 09-17-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Trying to understand NASA classification lingo