Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

2013 One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
ldstang50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 One Lap of America

This year I will complete a life long dream of mine to compete in One Lap of America.
I meet with my co-driver, Brian Hair, at lunch to discuss finances and logistics. At the end of a 2hour lunch we had an agreement, we shook hands with big smiles and we are putting our adventure in motion.
I'm a One Lap puppy where Brian is an old dog having done this multiple times in BMWs. He's trophied everytime and taken home a few class wins. He's pretty darn fast!
The bad news for you z guys is we will not be using my z. It'll be too uncomfortable for the road trips. Hey we're old alright!
So instead we'll compete with my 2013 Boss Laguna Seca. This was to be a collector car for me, but I said EF! it, have some fun.
We'll be with the big boys in SSGT2 Big Bore (stock). We will run the car completely stock except for tires (still deciding) and brake pads. i have the track key programmed and ready to use and the side pipe baffles have been removed.
We'll be running at Little Talladega, NOLA Motorsports, Daytona, CMP, VIR and PIR.
If the mods sticky this, I'll post pics of our preperation and during the event, stories and pictures.

Our weapon of choice

Valuable space back here

This name says it all

Splitter will be installed

One More
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Taereek43

Please do tell more and take videos if you can! I was reading Grassroots Motorsports and this was the first time I've heard of One Lap of America. How does that go?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM
ldstang50

You can find all the information here http://onelapofamerica.com/
We will meet in South Bend, IN for registration and event 1, the wet skid pad.
Once thats done we drive 82mi to an Air Force base for a time trial.
From there on out its traveling at night to the next venue. We'll head down to LA then over to FL, up PA then back to IN. Event covers about 3300mi in 7 days, not to mention the drive out there then back home.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM
ldstang50

I created a fb page for anyone to follow
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horrib...page_new_likes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
ldstang50

5/6/13
Monday’s update
We are currently stopped at a Hardee’s in FL on our way to Daytona. We’ve covered 320mi of our trek from New Orleans to Daytona. We were able to escape New Orleans fairly early, nearly avoiding an accident that shut down the highway and held up any One Lappers that left after us for 2 hours!!
The trip from South Bend to Talladega was just over 600mi. We made the trip without incident. Hopefully the rest of the transits are this smooth.
Yesterday was our first track event at Talladega Grand Prix. We entered yesterday’s events with a 30pt lead having won our class in the wet skid pad and autocross. Talladega GP is a very granular surface and very short, just 1.4mi long. Its very much a point an shoot track. We decide Liam will run the morning session and Brian will run the afternoon. The plan is to go easy with the car to save tires. Liam runs a total time of 3:26 to finish second in class, 20th overall. Brian brings the car home in 18th overall and again 2nd in class with a 3:25 in the afternoon. Kyle Tucker, in a heavily modified Camaro beats up both times but is only able to pick up 5pts per time trial. Our lead is down to 20pts.
We were supposed to have a drag race, which Liam was looking forward to, but it was rained out. Instead we trekked down to New Orleans. We arrived at our hotel at around 11pm. We rested up to hit the track.
Brian woke up this morning with terrible back pain, the same pain that plagued him last week. Liam drives to the track and they decide to have Liam run the time trials. Our entire crew along with Ann Hollis do our best to take care of Brian. The goal is to make him comfortable to run Daytona.
Liam completes the morning time trial with the stutter that bothered Brian at Summit Point 2wks ago. Liam is able to finish the morning time trial in 17th place still behind the Tucker Camaro. We read over the owners manual and finally figure out how to completely disable the TCS.
Results: http://onelapofamerica.com/event/Res...=69&eventId=32
Amazing what some reading can do! Liam heads out for his afternoon session, looking to really push the car. Unfortunately he spins on lap 1 of the time trial. He’s able to recover but the spin costs him about 12sec. He’s s till able to finish 27th overall and still second in class
Results: http://onelapofamerica.com/event/Res...=70&eventId=32
The Tucker Camaro was able to eat up 10more points today. Brian and Liam are not worried as their favorite tracks are at the end, VIR and Beave Run, and hopefully we’ll have the drag race.
As it stands Liam and Brian are 14th overall and still first in class
Standings: http://onelapofamerica.com/event/***....do?eventId=32
We are off to Daytona. Daytona isn’t one of our strong tracks, if we can come out of there in a tie for our class, we’ll be in good shape.