Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Which lsd for stock susp & oem tire sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Paul.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which lsd for stock susp & oem tire sizes?

Hey all,

Picked up a 2007 base a few months ago which will be my weekend/autox car. Due to time/work space constraints etc, the mods I'm planning are fairly minimal, I don't care which scca class I'll be in as a result:

- Stock size tires on oem rims (RE-11 or RE-71R)
- Aftermarket shocks
- Hotchkis front sway bar, sticking with the 'softest' setting, aprox 22% stiffer than stock
- LSD (Quaife?)
- Depending on front tire wear patterns, possibly front arms.

Which brings to me to my main question... I've done one autox event with the car and I'm loving it's overall balance/feel. But I'm concerned the soft stock spring rates & bars will result in enough inside-rear tire lift to compromise the Quaife's effectiveness.

I wouldn't mind the Quaife functioning like a slightly worn clutchpack lsd, allowing a bit of tire slip at times, but anything more than that would be a deal breaker.

I'd love to hear some feedback from mostly-stock-suspension autox Quaife users!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:22 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

STU and BSP both allow for aftermarket LSD's read through the threads on those builds, lots of good info.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:40 PM
CMyTailsBlink

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm obviously not stock, but I have a quaife and I highly recommend it. It functions flawlessly and makes driving lots of fun. No matter how hard I kick it sideways, the quaife is like a dream and seems to just walk the car back into place. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Look into the Wavetrac units, they still lock even when lifting a wheel.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:16 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't compare Quaife to a slightly worn diff in any regard. It's actually MORE responsive than a clutch pack diff.

I autox'd a few seasons on it after getting tired of the VLSD. The only time it DOESN'T work well is when the inside tire lifts. Never lifted the inside tire? Quaife will work flawlessly. It's one of the few diffs that will somewhat "steer" you through a corner.

I would argue it lets you get on the gas sooner than a clutch based LSD at the expense of a bit less absolute grip.

The preloaded Wavetrac sounds like a good option, but I have no experience with it.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Another vote for the Quaife. I've got one in my Z and one of my Alfa Spider's. i love the Quaife, but have been thinking about a Wavetrac for my BMW 635, mostly to see what the differences feel like.