Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:59 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I think someone else on these boards figured out that these are NOT Brembos, but probably a knock-off. Having said that, I had messed up one of my Brembo calipers and ended up using one of these for a track weekend. Worked perfectly well, although I have since replaced it with a "real" Brembo.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 PM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by reserved
Well, I think someone else on these boards figured out that these are NOT Brembos, but probably a knock-off. Having said that, I had messed up one of my Brembo calipers and ended up using one of these for a track weekend. Worked perfectly well, although I have since replaced it with a "real" Brembo.
I wouldn't call these knock-offs without some real serious proof... They don't have the Brembo Gold paint, but that's about it based on my observations. Now, I can't comment on the quality of the seals or other internals, as in whether it's Brembo or not.

I called A1 today, who agreed the flakes are odd, and suggested I claim the warranty on the passenger caliper. I now have a new one on the way from RockAuto.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM
eye-5

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I wouldn't call these knock-offs without some real serious proof... They don't have the Brembo Gold paint, but that's about it based on my observations. Now, I can't comment on the quality of the seals or other internals, as in whether it's Brembo or not.

I called A1 today, who agreed the flakes are odd, and suggested I claim the warranty on the passenger caliper. I now have a new one on the way from RockAuto.
I have seen those flakes in some leftover brake fluid I had in my Motive Power Bleeder. It is cause by water being absorbed into the fluid. It is normal in old fluid or fluid that has been exposed to the atmosphere. This is why you never use brake fluid from an open container. I have found that the performance fluids are more prone to absorbing water than a traditional fluid. Which is also why you need to flush performance fluid more often.

Just keep flushing it out.

Last edited by eye-5; 05-03-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 PM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by eye-5
I have seen those flakes in some leftover brake fluid I had in my Motive Power Bleeder. It is cause by water being absorbed into the fluid. It is normal in old fluid or fluid that has been exposed to the atmosphere. This is why you never use brake fluid from an open container. I have found that the performance fluids are more prone to absorbing water than a traditional fluid. Which is also why you need to flush performance fluid more often.

Just keep flushing it out.
I agree with you on the higher-performing fluids absorbing water faster, and I would agree with you on the fluid absorbing too much water, but I used all fresh RBF600. And during the 1.5-2L I flushed through the passenger caliper, I've ran about 1/2-3/4L through the driver's caliper and produced none of the same flakes. Based on this, I can't conclude it's the fluid, but rather the caliper. Regardless, the replacement caliper AND 1.5 more L of RBF600 will be here on Thursday. Hoping I'll get the brakes done before the weekend is up!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 AM
SilverGLE

So, I now have in my possession:

1. OTS Koni Yellows
2. Berk HFCs
3. Kinetix UCAs (needs a new ball joint)
4. Compression Arms w/ SuperPro offset bushings
5. A complete set of 4 18x10.5 +15 RPF1s

Still to buy is a set of Swift springs, and my suspension will be complete, for now! No clue when I'll get all this on the car, but hopefully it'll be soon! The 275/35/18 RE71Rs are OOS until the first week of June, sadly.

As for the A1 Cardone Brembo situation, I did get a 2nd caliper, and the same problem. I bought some much-cheaper Valvoline Synpower brake fluid while I troubleshoot this issue, on sale for like $6/32 oz bottle from Advance Auto Parts! I then reconnected the OEM brake line to the caliper, still flakes. Then, I disconnected the line from the caliper and simply pumped the brake several times and no flakes came out of the line, so it's not the OEM brake line. Then I simply dumped fresh fluid through the Z1 SS line, still no flakes. Yup, definitely the caliper! I ordered a third rebuilt Brembo that shipped from a different warehouse, so I'm hoping this is it! The other 2 are on their way back to RockAuto for a full refund.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:35 AM
SilverGLE

FINALLY! Third time was the charm! I have a functioning A1 Cardone Brembo passenger front caliper!!! I haven't fully bled it, but I ran 5-6 ounces of fluid through it with NO FLAKES. My only complain is this caliper is a nice bright-silver finish, while the other one is the dull gray "weatherproof" finish.

I'm also going to pull the trigger on some tires from Discount Tire tomorrow... I get $160 in mail-in rebates on a set of RE71Rs (265/35/18, unfortunately). They beat the other prices I received in the area, and 9 months same as cash financing with their credit card. Tires should be in within a week and I'll have them mounted on my RPF1s next weekend.

On the maintenance-front, I've completed replacing the driver's side window regulator and motor, but need to disassemble the panel on the passenger side to see what bolts I need, as the driver's door panel had 0 bolts holding the window controls to the rest of the skin.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 PM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
FINALLY! Third time was the charm! I have a functioning A1 Cardone Brembo passenger front caliper!!! I haven't fully bled it, but I ran 5-6 ounces of fluid through it with NO FLAKES. My only complain is this caliper is a nice bright-silver finish, while the other one is the dull gray "weatherproof" finish.

I'm also going to pull the trigger on some tires from Discount Tire tomorrow... I get $160 in mail-in rebates on a set of RE71Rs (265/35/18, unfortunately). They beat the other prices I received in the area, and 9 months same as cash financing with their credit card. Tires should be in within a week and I'll have them mounted on my RPF1s next weekend.

On the maintenance-front, I've completed replacing the driver's side window regulator and motor, but need to disassemble the panel on the passenger side to see what bolts I need, as the driver's door panel had 0 bolts holding the window controls to the rest of the skin.
I lied... Wound up having a bleeder screw so loose, that to bleed the air was to also allow it to suck air in through the threads... Returned it to RockAuto, and disputed the charges on the other caliper and rotors, since if one part doesn't work, I can't use any of it. RA was very unaccommodating for this type of situation. Lesson learned... Be prepared to keep it, regardless, OR have time to install/troubleshoot within their return policy!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 PM
SilverGLE

But, I did get my 265/35/18 RE71Rs mounted on my 18x10.5 RPFs last week! And was able to use them today! We had 5 drivers in STU, all STIs except poor me! Winning time was a 45.0 with 2nd ~0.5 second behind. I had a 46.0 but DNF'ed that run, would've been ~46.3 if I'd followed the course. Best run was my last, 46.4. Finally got some GoPro footage, with a remote mike in the pocket behind the passenger seat.

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-sb5vojph.jpg

Last edited by SilverGLE; 06-12-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:54 PM
SilverGLE

Drove today at Auto X Atlanta's 4th points event today! Another 3rd place finish of 5 drives in STU. Except, I was closer to the top this event. Not bad for no LSD!

Managed to flip my dash cam around and record my inputs, then put it side-by-side with the GoPro footage:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/577...-dual-view.php
Old 07-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I always thought open diffs sucked on miata, but man it's 100x worse with power in the Z lol.

That lot doesn't look that bad! I need to come down there soon.

I still say you're shuffling way too soon/too much. I think there was 2 justifiable spots to shuffle on that course. But shuffling less will help a few things:

1. You'll instinctively know where the tires are pointed, which will lead to faster catches, and less steady-state push
2. You'll have less steering angle which will also help steady-state push along with being able to get on the throttle sooner, not over heating the front tires, set you up better to string some elements together(less push=easier to get on top of the next cone)
3. It will force you to steer with your feet more. One thing the miata always did great was rotating on entry with the brakes. Throwing all the weight onto the front, back slips around, apply throttle and away you go. I've done it a few times with the Z and it's even better with the longer wheel-base. On-throttle rotation is obviously something the Z does well...... unfortunately not so much with an open-diff car

Several drivers confirm this theory
Barbato -
Cathers -
Heitkotter -
O'Gorman -
Lane -
The following users liked this post:
SilverGLE (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 PM
SilverGLE

^ Gotcha, I see what you mean... I'll have to work on that this Sunday at Turner Field!

Dude, come on down! I can provide a place to crash the night before, too. And we can swap cars midway through runs to see how bad the open diff really is!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 PM
SilverGLE

Alright, so it's been far too long since my last update... Done several events since the last post.

No real changes to the car other than wishing I had the funds for an OSG, and debating suspension options for the Z. I have the off-the-shelf yellows, but I'm debating another budget coilover system from DGR Performance. Supposed to be better than the BC and similar offerings, and has a lifetime warranty and a few choices of spring rates.

Still loving my Greddy RS muffler! I think I had at least 5 compliments on it over the weekend!

I'm still working on keeping my foot in it more, and doing less sawing at the wheel with more smooth inputs, especially in the slaloms.

The local SCCA season is over. The final points event was Saturday, with their annual Champion of Champions event held the following day. I placed 2nd of 3 drivers in class on Saturday.

My fastest run:

Sunday was the CoC event. Basically, they form 3 large classes, with Pro, Open Class Champs, and Everyone Else competing in separate classes based on PAX. I wound up in Best of the Rest, and placed 5 of 18 drivers. There were 2 courses, 6 runs total (3 morning and 3 afternoon). The afternoon course was basically reversed. We also did fun runs, and I of course pulled my head out of my *** long enough to keep the Happy Pedal closer to the floor and manage to beat my best afternoon run by over a second. -_-

I moved the GoPro to the passenger side, as I have a tendency to devour cones from that side since a few events, ago. Initially I had it on the rear mini-window, but moved it to the B-pillar for this event, with much better visibility!

Last edited by SilverGLE; 10-24-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM
SilverGLE

Realized yesterday my AC was doing nothing but blowing warm air... Had it inspected at Firestone today, needs a new AC compressor, expansion valve, and drier. And they only want $17XX for it... Ha! I'll wait until the temps are in the 90s before I have it fixed!
Old 02-12-2017, 08:45 PM
SilverGLE

The new racing season is upon us ATLiens!

To recap 2016:

1. Placed 4th in SCCA in STU with Atlanta Region
2. Placed 5th in the annual Race of Champions (3 indexed classes, Pro, Class Winners, Best of the Rest)
3. Placed 3rd in STU with Auto X Atlanta

Off-season plans included:
1. DGR Performance coilovers, 15k/10k rates
2. Kinetix front upper control arms
3. Kinetix rear camber arms
4. SPC rear toe bolts
5. new ball joints in the steering knuckles
6. Energy Suspension compression arm bushings
7. Whiteline spring bucket bushings

I need to decide on tires for this year, as my RE71Rs are nearly done. SCCA TNT this Saturday and the first SCCA points event is Sunday! Sways, endlinks, and OSG are further down the line...
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM
SilverGLE

Atlanta Region SCCA Points #1

First event of the year at the new site, Lanier Raceplex in Brasleton, GA! We had a Test & Tune there on Saturday, and it was consistent rain most of the day. I'll have to throw some video up from it. There were only 2 of us in STU yesterdat, as the first and second STU winners from last year moved into the Pro class. I beat my competition, the wife of one of the STU winners.

Results: http://live.axti.me/results/4kVerGmFf

I was reminded of why I need a proper LSD, as with the open I couldn't fully apply the power without spinning, ESPECIALLY at the downhill start. LSD and sways are on my to-do list, hopefully by the end of the year.

Here's my 4th and fastest (raw) run. I would've had a low 37, but I coned it away and wound up with a 37.042 from my 3rd run, instead. The two STU drivers in Pro were about 34.6.

Last edited by SilverGLE; 02-23-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:40 AM
SilverGLE

I'm still around, and the Z is still mine! I need to update this thread more...

So far I've cinched the STU wins for the local SCCA group and the other guys at Auto X Atlanta. There's one more points event for SCCA, then the Champion of Champions event. AXA still has their co-driver challenge. And then a Road Rally, all of this over 2 weekends next month!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:19 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Good work and thanks for the update. Keep it up! Nice car too, but then again I am biased.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM
SilverGLE

Thanks! I need to get some more videos posted...
Old 01-31-2018, 05:48 AM
SilverGLE

New year, more racing! Atlanta Region has a TNT on 2/17 and the first points event is 2/18, and we're back at Atlanta Motor Speedway! So much larger than Lanier where we ran last year.

So far my winter plans originally consisted of the following:
1. Replace my Kinetix FUCAs w/ Z1 for more negative camber adjustability
2. Install ES steering rack bushings
3. Install Hotchkiss FSB w/ adjustable endlinks
4. Replace OEM-style DGR rear springs w/ linear spring adapter kit
5. Replace the passenger front steering knuckle (suspect it's bent due to a wreck from one of the POs)
6. OSG LSD (Yaaaaaas!)
7. Install ES rear diff bushings
8. Brembo upgrade

I abandoned #4 due to the extra cost and the fact that I want to pick an appropriate spring rate, and I don't feel I can do that until I install a larger RSB and get a feel for what the car does vs what I want it to do.

#5 needs to happen in conjunction w/ #1, as I only want to take that crap apart once (more)... I'm debating saving some $$$ and simply modifying my Kinetix FUCAs and see where that puts me. I need to replace the knuckle as the car was in a wreck with a PO where it was hit in the front-right, and I discovered after my post-DGR coilover install that the passenger front corner is neg camber-challenged vs the driver side, so I suspect that's to blame. There's a Pull-A-Part near me with a fair # of G35 sedans, and I need to double-check, but I suspect that same part # fits all Z and G for the passenger front.

#2, 3, & 8 will happen before our first points event on 2/18. I plan to have at least the front Brembos installed before then, rears I'll do later.

I've got a proper LSD, finally! I need to wait to build up some $$$ to get it installed, hopefully I'll be able to do that in March. I initially bought ES rear diff bushings after asking Z1 Motorsports if their (at the time) newly-released diff bushings were any stiffer, they said it wouldn't matter. Fast forward to recently and I'm watching Z1's video discussing their diff bushings and it sounds like they're better in every for for focused track/ax use over the ES. Asked them and confirmed that their bushings are stiffer than Z1, so now I need to pick those up and sell the ES, and have the bushings installed w/ the OSG.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

My order would be #3 first, then do everything in my power to get #6 done. Then #4 or just get a set of springs with a linear rear that is already dialed in, also before your first event if possible. The rest would come after all that unless you are actually having issues. Seriously get that OSG in it will transform the car.

Quick Reply: Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy