Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Big Race Weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I do like the Indy car small oval - looking forward to Iowa 300
Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Spoiler alert in case you haven't watched the race you recorded on yer DVR....

Helio of a way to spend a Sunday, ya? <YSWIDT>

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-10-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Spoiler alert in case you haven't watched the race you recorded on yer DVR....

Helio of a way to spend a Sunday, ya? <YSWIDT>
Gotta like that smile...
Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

One of the true gentlemen of the sport.

Side observation: the more expensive the race series, the quicker they wuss out after "incidents".... dirt trackers, drag racers break stuff like an engine with a blower out the boost panels, they fix it and get back in the race "Broke shid? Psh!"

Lewis Hamilton chips the paint on a winglet..... "Ohhh boooohooooo, retirement."

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-10-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Lewis Hamilton chips the paint on a winglet..... "Ohhh boooohooooo, retirement."
I too often wonder why in F1 they retire cars that seem "fine". My guess is some engineer sees something in the data stream that indicates a "ka-boom" is about to happen and they (or their sponsors?) would rather retired the car for "electrical" problems then watch the magic smoke escape out the tailpipe on live TV. Plus they might be trying to avoid the wacky engine penalties this series has.

What I do find funny is when a winglet breaks and yet the car seems unaffected. Case in point: Helio at the 500. He lost one of those outside rear pod extension wings during the Dixon flyover yet still finished 2nd. During qualifying some guys used them and some didn't. Some cars ran just one going for a staggered dirt car thing. So how much difference that winglet worth? If its 0.5 MPH during qualifying that is a big deal, but during the race with tires, fuel and weather changing constantly? Maybe not.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:35 PM
carbuffguy

Off to the Indy race in Tar-on-toe tomorrow - hope I don't get wet

Got to support the local favorite Hinchcliffe on this one, but the Chevy's are hard to beat.
I'm hoping Honda stands a better chance on the road course.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Off to the Indy race in Tar-on-toe tomorrow - hope I don't get wet

Got to support the local favorite Hinchcliffe on this one, but the Chevy's are hard to beat.
I'm hoping Honda stands a better chance on the road course.
Honda's engines this year are on par, powerwise with the dominant Chevrolets of the past couple of years, save for some reliability issues (Andretti Autosport has blown a number..... like Fernando at the 500). What will be the downfall for Honda cars at Toronto is the aero. Honda aero is heavily favored on ovals this year (Indy.... Sato.... Honda) but on tight road courses (streets, real tracks), the Chevrolet bodywork SEEMS to be favored for whatever reason.

On Hinch..... yeah, he's good and deserves to win more (and is also one of the sport's "gentlemen"). I liken him to Daniel Ricciardo over in F1, immensely talented but down on luck and deserving more.

And my Lewis Hamilton "dig of the week".... He's at his "home Grand Prix" (British GP at Silverstone) and they had this huge PR shindig in London the other day and what.... he was the ONLY driver to NOT show up at the event?? C'mon, all that talk about his love and support for and from the fans and he doesn't show up for a fan event??

His excuse: "I needed 'alone time' to concentrate on the race." Wow, really.... I have a LOT of respect for his talents and accomplishments but c'mon.....

Oh yeah, HAVE FUN AT THE GP, Mike!!! Jealous I is. (But all good, will be at the Final at Sonoma shortly... )

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:50 PM
carbuffguy

Honda's engines this year are on par, powerwise with the dominant Chevrolets of the past couple of years, save for some reliability issues (Andretti Autosport has blown a number..... like Fernando at the 500). What will be the downfall for Honda cars at Toronto is the aero. Honda aero is heavily favored on ovals this year (Indy.... Sato.... Honda) but on tight road courses (streets, real tracks), the Chevrolet bodywork SEEMS to be favored for whatever reason.

On Hinch..... yeah, he's good and deserves to win more (and is also one of the sport's "gentlemen"). I liken him to Daniel Ricciardo over in F1, immensely talented but down on luck and deserving more.

And my Lewis Hamilton "dig of the week".... He's at his "home Grand Prix" (British GP at Silverstone) and they had this huge PR shindig in London the other day and what.... he was the ONLY driver to NOT show up at the event?? C'mon, all that talk about his love and support for and from the fans and he doesn't show up for a fan event??

His excuse: "I needed 'alone time' to concentrate on the race." Wow, really.... I have a LOT of respect for his talents and accomplishments but c'mon.....

Oh yeah, HAVE FUN AT THE GP, Mike!!! Jealous I is. (But all good, will be at the Final at Sonoma shortly... )
Thanks Mic, the tickets were a Fathers day present (Offsets some off the cost of him blowing up my rear diff bushing haha).
And ya, Hamilton could go down as one of the best, but I think he needs to employ a PR person and polish up that spoiled punk image.

Regarding Indy car...I think there's some advantage going on with Penske's Shock engineers also - they were talking about it during qualifying..."top secret internals"
Hinch, he's fun to watch, but I've watched the team make some damn poor pit strategy calls, coupled with some really bad luck. However, he was podium last year in Tee O that seems to be some advantage in racin'. It's a tough track with some pretty violent bumps under braking and on some apexes, add some rain and any top six (give or take) can win it - Just a thought...love to see Hamilton mix it up there tomorrow, minus the Mercedes (and that big a$$ earring) that is

JK, I'm sure he'd be good there too.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks Mic, the tickets were a Fathers day present (Offsets some off the cost of him blowing up my rear diff bushing haha).
And ya, Hamilton could go down as one of the best, but I think he needs to employ a PR person and polish up that spoiled punk image.

Regarding Indy car...I think there's some advantage going on with Penske's Shock engineers also - they were talking about it during qualifying..."top secret internals"
Hinch, he's fun to watch, but I've watched the team make some damn poor pit strategy calls, coupled with some really bad luck. However, he was podium last year in Tee O that seems to be some advantage in racin'. It's a tough track with some pretty violent bumps under braking and on some apexes, add some rain and any top six (give or take) can win it - Just a thought...love to see Hamilton mix it up there tomorrow, minus the Mercedes (and that big a$$ earring) that is

JK, I'm sure he'd be good there too.
Well, Hamilton is an entity and like any good entity, he has PR people. He also has his personal trainer and coach with him at every race.

There's no doubt he'd be good in any car he's put into; BUT, so are a lot of the drivers (or any pro athlete that requires EQUIPMENT) and that does make a significant difference. Case in point: Valtteri Bottas.... a good driver but in the wrong cars. No wins, despite talent. Now, in his first season with AMG Petronas, well two wins before half season. I guess with that 800 person team and countless Euros behind them, hey.

And then Fernando... Alonso can't win in the McLaren. But see how well he did in his first outing at Indy in the Dallara (but for the problematic Honda engine...)

So yeah, while it takes a great driver to win in F1 or any top echelon sport, equipment does make a diff.

Confession: Real reason I hack on Hamilton.... he's a slightly better driver than I am. See? I can too be humble.

Yuk yuk yuk.....

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-15-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:48 AM
carbuffguy

Well, Hamilton is an entity and like any good entity, he has PR people. He also has his personal trainer and coach with him at every race.

There's no doubt he'd be good in any car he's put into; BUT, so are a lot of the drivers (or any pro athlete that requires EQUIPMENT) and that does make a significant difference. Case in point: Valtteri Bottas.... a good driver but in the wrong cars. No wins, despite talent. Now, in his first season with AMG Petronas, well two wins before half season. I guess with that 800 person team and countless Euros behind them, hey.

And then Fernando... Alonso can't win in the McLaren. But see how well he did in his first outing at Indy in the Dallara (but for the problematic Honda engine...)

So yeah, while it takes a great driver to win in F1 or any top echelon sport, equipment does make a diff.

Confession: Real reason I hack on Hamilton.... he's a slightly better driver than I am. See? I can too be humble.

Yuk yuk yuk.....
haha, Micgarrett strikes again. But I disagree, put me in a Petronas car and I'll put your equipment theory into a chaotic, violent mess that would smell like a Taco Bell restroom. Heck, I still think disc brakes and EFI is cutting edge
Oh wait, you said "any good driver"
Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah major weak sauce from Hamliton at home, but after the race he was all about the fans.

Speaking of the F1 race those last 2 laps were crazy. Normally in F1 the only thing interesting is quali and lap 1... but not this time.

IRL was kind of a rip off since the fastest 3 cars got caught out by the yellow. But can't complain too much because Hinch got on the podium at home which is nice. As mentioned he is a class act, I don't think I have ever heard him complain about another driver or a bad break. Huge respect for him even getting back in a car after his crash at Indy that nearly killed him.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JMII
Yeah major weak sauce from Hamliton at home, but after the race he was all about the fans.

Speaking of the F1 race those last 2 laps were crazy. Normally in F1 the only thing interesting is quali and lap 1... but not this time.

IRL was kind of a rip off since the fastest 3 cars got caught out by the yellow. But can't complain too much because Hinch got on the podium at home which is nice. As mentioned he is a class act, I don't think I have ever heard him complain about another driver or a bad break. Huge respect for him even getting back in a car after his crash at Indy that nearly killed him.
True dat about F1.... same failure, both Ferraris??

I don't know if I'm the only one noticing but Kvyat's a menace. Guy deserves his nickname "Torpedo" for his recklessness. He's heading for a suspension and personally feel the rumors about him being dropped altogether by Toro Rosso/RBR might be the best thing for all concerned. Just sayin'....

And one more retirement for Alonso. Sigh....

On Indycars at TO... yeah, that strategy call sucked for Helio and the others but at least the win went to a deserving driver. Newgarden is a straight up, personable driver with a lot of talent. I recall first seeing him in Indy Lights and noting how smooth he was then.

And yes, Hinch on the podium...

A good way to spend a lazy weekend overall.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:07 PM
carbuffguy

We were behind the driver intro stage pre race, all the drivers were there (open air) sitting, waiting for the intros. Just before the intro circus started Hinch got up and personally greeted all the other drivers with a few words and a pat on the back, it was a class act.

We had great seats, right across from pit lane and a two straight, two turn (one off camber with a bump right on the apex = WOW!) view - with a big screen.

It was a "grrrreat day for motor racing"

Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

We were behind the driver intro stage pre race, all the drivers were there (open air) sitting, waiting for the intros. Just before the intro circus started Hinch got up and personally greeted all the other drivers with a few words and a pat on the back, it was a class act.

We had great seats, right across from pit lane and a two straight, two turn (one off camber with a bump right on the apex = WOW!) view - with a big screen.

It was a "grrrreat day for motor racing"

Was looking for you on TV while I watched.

Then I realized I have no clue who I was looking for.

But wow, what great seats!!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 PM
carbuffguy

Was looking for you on TV while I watched.

Then I realized I have no clue who I was looking for.

But wow, what great seats!!
haha good one - look for the tall, good looking, well tanned, well dressed guy with the knock out babe...

I was standing right beside him

...jk ^

this is me

Last edited by carbuffguy; 07-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

haha good one - look for the tall, good looking, well tanned, well dressed guy with the knock out babe...

I was standing right beside him
That's funny, I didn't notice you right next to me.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:01 PM
carbuffguy

That's funny, I didn't notice you right next to me.

touche
Old 07-30-2017, 01:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

SPOILER ALERT: HUNGARORING FORMULA ONE

No, no results but general F1 observations (or miscellaneous rants)...

OK, I get why people think Max Verstappen is the next (or soon to be) King of F1. And because of his prodigious skills, I don't doubt he has greatness ahead of him.

But.... he's reckless. Some call it bravado or "aggressive driving", I still call it reckless, in the same vein as Kvyat.

C'mon, "racing incident"?? Ehhhh, never good to take out your teammate!

--------------------------------------

I'm going to add "Formula 1 Team Tire Warmer Unwrapper" to my resume.

I laugh every time they show the team guys staging the car for exit from the garage or grid. Four guys on the payroll whose sole job is to wait for the pit director to give the hand signal and off come the tire blankets... in unison. Unison that rivals a so-amazingly-synchronously-timed performance of the Kinjaz or Jabbawockeez in urban dance.

That, along with the other thing that separates F1 from the rest of the motorsports world, something like 15-20 guys performing 3 second pit stop tire changes. If any other form of motorsport had those budgets, it'd be even more amusing to watch.

On that note, I mentioned how cars get retired so quickly in F1.... how about Grosjean's retirement because one of the wheel nuts was cross threaded?! They couldn't get the thing back to the pit, fix the ONE issue and off he goes? Nope, one x-thread and he's out. Sheesh, every other series, professional or amateur would just thrash to get it back out there and salvage at least a finish in the race!!

Hamilton did something in the last lap of the race that raised my outlook of him and he should be saluted. That was righteous for his teammate, Bottas. Commentator asks, "You think he would have done that for Nico Rosberg?"

Oh hell no. Hahahahahaha.

And I still have Indy and NHRA drags at Sonoma to watch! (I should've gone to Sonoma for the drags but wife and her family are going to see Neil Diamond tonight and have to be home early. Hahahhaha. )
Old 07-30-2017, 01:48 PM
carbuffguy

SPOILER ALERT: HUNGARORING FORMULA ONE

No, no results but general F1 observations (or miscellaneous rants)...

OK, I get why people think Max Verstappen is the next (or soon to be) King of F1. And because of his prodigious skills, I don't doubt he has greatness ahead of him.

But.... he's reckless. Some call it bravado or "aggressive driving", I still call it reckless, in the same vein as Kvyat.

C'mon, "racing incident"?? Ehhhh, never good to take out your teammate!

I'm going to add "Formula 1 Team Tire Warmer Unwrapper" to my resume.

I laugh every time they show the team guys staging the car for exit from the garage or grid. Four guys on the payroll whose sole job is to wait for the pit director to give the hand signal and off come the tire blankets... in unison. Unison that rivals a so-amazingly-synchronously-timed performance of the Kinjaz or Jabbawockeez in urban dance.

That, along with the other thing that separates F1 from the rest of the motorsports world, something like 15-20 guys performing 3 second pit stop tire changes. If any other form of motorsport had those budgets, it'd be even more amusing to watch.

On that note, I mentioned how cars get retired so quickly in F1.... how about Grosjean's retirement because one of the wheel nuts was cross threaded?! They couldn't get the thing back to the pit, fix the ONE issue and off he goes? Nope, one x-thread and he's out. Sheesh, every other series, professional or amateur would just thrash to get it back out there and salvage at least a finish in the race!!

Hamilton did something in the last lap of the race that raised my outlook of him and he should be saluted. That was righteous for his teammate, Bottas. Commentator asks, "You think he would have done that for Nico Rosberg?"

Oh hell no. Hahahahahaha.

And I still have Indy and NHRA drags at Sonoma to watch! (I should've gone to Sonoma for the drags but wife and her family are going to see Neil Diamond tonight and have to be home early. Hahahhaha. )
missed all the races today, my wife wanted to go to the beach

I'm wondering why you didn't want to go to the "Longfellow serenade"

Coming up a little short ?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

missed all the races today, my wife wanted to go to the beach

I'm wondering why you didn't want to go to the "Longfellow serenade"

Coming up a little short ?
Funny you ask that. My wife, friends and family are there RIGHT NOW.

Me, I'm not much into Neil Cubic Zirconia.