Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Formula 1 TV Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ

In other news, hope Ricciardo is the next Ferrari driver.
Agreed.

I love how coy he's being about it - by necessity of course - but yeah, I like Kimi and feel that he's totally earned the "Iceman" title by how he drives; but might be time to see the former RBR teammates back together, no matter how much they PRETEND to like one another. Would definitely give Daniel a better shot at the title.

Shades of Lewis vs. Nico......

Done working for the day, time to catch up on Indycar. Thanks for the spoiler alert guys. Haha.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:35 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I love Kimi, and I believe that is felt across the board from most F1 fans. He has a huge fanbase, and there is nothing more that I want to see than him succeed.

The problem is, we haven't seen the real Kimi since 2007. And the best Kimi was the old McLaren days, where if it wasn't for the huge string of reliability problems, he would definitely be a multiple world champion.

I really hate to say it, but his time is over. He is the new Massa. A Ferrari driver that everybody loves and respects, but at the end of the day a number 2 driver. It seems like this year's car suits him better and I really hope he continues to perform, he needs to win at least 1 race this year.

As a Ferrari fan, the ideal situation for me would be for Kimi to retire the end of the year, they sign Danny Ric to the team, while Leclerc continues to develop in Sauber for another 2 years, and then graduates to Ferrari when Vettel either leaves or retires.

Last year everybody was on the Max train, and I do believe he is an amazing driver, but this year has proved he still has alot to learn. I think Leclerc has more skill and the last thing I want is for him to be rushed into the spotlight when he isn't ready. But I also don't want his skill to wait too long or else he ends up like a Perez, who people forget that he was part of the Ferrari Driver Academy. Never gave him a chance and he switched to McLaren, only to, in my opinion, ruin his shot at ever racing for a top team again.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Done working for the day, time to catch up on Indycar. Thanks for the spoiler alert guys. Haha.
Sorry 'bout that but I only gave you the 3rd place finisher.

Daniel is the most likeable guys in F1 so its a shame his car just stopped dead like that. He seems to have the worst luck. Verstappen is young and aggressive, that is going to upset the more senior drivers but certainly draws in the fans. Kimi has some of best radio quotes but honestly not a fan because he is Debbie Downer during interviews. I am not a fan of Vettel but at least he gives a good interview and has a sense of humor.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JMII
Sorry 'bout that but I only gave you the 3rd place finisher.

Daniel is the most likeable guys in F1 so its a shame his car just stopped dead like that. He seems to have the worst luck. Verstappen is young and aggressive, that is going to upset the more senior drivers but certainly draws in the fans. Kimi has some of best radio quotes but honestly not a fan because he is Debbie Downer during interviews. I am not a fan of Vettel but at least he gives a good interview and has a sense of humor.
Oh, no worries on the Indycar spoiler alert comment. I was genuine in thanking for the ALERT aspect. Turned out I didn't watch it after all so I'm still in the dark. And if I find out beforehand, well, no biggee. My life isn't dependent upon the outcome of a race. Hahahahaha!

I hear ya about Kimi.... he doesn't seem very personable and that's probably why I like Ricciardo as much as I do. He seems approachable and less machine than most of the others. Like Hamilton up on his cloud, for example.

"Hey, Daniel, wanna go grab a pitcher of suds?"
Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Just read about this.....commercial free broadcasts for rest of this season.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/23...f1-coverage-us

Woot! Works for me!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
Just read about this.....commercial free broadcasts for rest of this season.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/23...f1-coverage-us

Woot! Works for me!
Wow! Dayam, Sky must be paying Disney to re-broadcast! First time I've EVER seen Disney do something for what-appears-to-be-nothing. (Now I'm very curious...)

And trust me, as a former employee, I know.....

No, I was not Goofy at Disneyland.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-10-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Side note: Rossi's drive to 3rd in the Phoenix Indy Race was amazing, he was down a full lap on a one groove track where everyone was fighting for grip yet was flying somehow.
SPOILER ALERT: Anyone still waiting to watch Indy Phoenix, STOP right here.

Just finished watching it after 3 start/stops late last night.

But wow.... Rossi's a madman! THAT was the drive of the race! Screwed the pooch on the pitstop, pit-drive-thru and he still finished 3rd? What the...

These new guys, Wickens especially, are really changing the face of Indycar for sure. Wickens WILL win this season, that dude can drive! Funny, he's a rookie at 29. But all those years in the DTM, well, it shows. Those other guys new to Indycar like Kyle Kaiser and Ed Jones (even though he's been in the series a year) are going to be contenders. And Kaiser is a homeboy here in Silicon Valley, very cool.

Funny, I remember watching Newgarden in Indy Lights and thought, "this kid is the real thing and he's going to be THE next great Indycar winner". Not only because he's talented but frankly, he's totally marketable. He's got talent, he's got the look, and he speaks intelligently and handles the media really well. Felt like just yesterday I was thinking all that and here he is in his seventh season already.

Sidenote: Newgarden's Verizon car was absolutely magnificent looking (with Wickens' car also great looking in that burgundy/black fade). But when I think about it, it should come as no surprise as the Verizon car is finished in what looks like, ahem, "Chrome Silver-KY0", taking the best color from the Nissan color palette.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:43 PM
SPM350Z

SPOILER ALERT: Anyone still waiting to watch Indy Phoenix, STOP right here.

Just finished watching it after 3 start/stops late last night.

But wow.... Rossi's a madman! THAT was the drive of the race! Screwed the pooch on the pitstop, pit-drive-thru and he still finished 3rd? What the...

These new guys, Wickens especially, are really changing the face of Indycar for sure. Wickens WILL win this season, that dude can drive! Funny, he's a rookie at 29. But all those years in the DTM, well, it shows. Those other guys new to Indycar like Kyle Kaiser and Ed Jones (even though he's been in the series a year) are going to be contenders. And Kaiser is a homeboy here in Silicon Valley, very cool.

Funny, I remember watching Newgarden in Indy Lights and thought, "this kid is the real thing and he's going to be THE next great Indycar winner". Not only because he's talented but frankly, he's totally marketable. He's got talent, he's got the look, and he speaks intelligently and handles the media really well. Felt like just yesterday I was thinking all that and here he is in his seventh season already.

Sidenote: Newgarden's Verizon car was absolutely magnificent looking (with Wickens' car also great looking in that burgundy/black fade). But when I think about it, it should come as no surprise as the Verizon car is finished in what looks like, ahem, "Chrome Silver-KY0", taking the best color from the Nissan color palette.
Sigh...and I am over here STILL pulling for Marco Andretti...long suffering fan. ha ha I agree that Wickens looked great out there. And looks like Rossi absolutely made the right choice choosing Indycar over F1. Also agree with you on Newgarden...good racer and talks good too. Reminds me a little or Ryan Hunter-Reay except it looks like he's actually going to be able to defend his title this year instead of fading into the background like Ryan did his following year and pretty much every year since.

Also...I can't lie...I would LOVE to see the old guy Tony Kanaan win some again...he's a great racer that I think still has a lot left in the tank. So yeah...old guy(me) supporting and old guy.

-Shawn
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 AM
JMII

Talking

Sigh...and I am over here STILL pulling for Marco Andretti...long suffering fan.
Same here. Him and Graham really need to start scoring wins. Andretti's team with Rossi and RHR (local guy, lives in Ft Laud) have proven they have the car, but Marco just can't seem to make it work. Every race he's complaining about something handling wise.

But when I think about it, it should come as no surprise as the Verizon car is finished in what looks like, ahem, "Chrome Silver-KY0", taking the best color from the Nissan color palette.
The Schmidt Peterson cars look the best with that metallic wrap for sure. And everyone knows Le Mans Sunset and Brickyard are the best Z colors. Silver? please... might as well call that color: Generic Audi Greyish Metal Finish. The Z desires that older GTR Gunmetal color that is a dark silver but with teal (blue/green) tint to it. Still hard seeing Dixon's car in blue/orange instead of Target Red. If I was them I'd go full neon orange like Alonso's ride. Ed's Fuzzy cars need more green too, this black/white is terrible. The old green/gold was a nice combo and I guess we'll get the neon Go Daddy green back on Danica's car for the 500.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The Schmidt Peterson cars look the best with that metallic wrap for sure. And everyone knows Le Mans Sunset and Brickyard are the best Z colors. Silver? please... might as well call that color: Generic Audi Greyish Metal Finish. The Z desires that older GTR Gunmetal color that is a dark silver but with teal (blue/green) tint to it. Still hard seeing Dixon's car in blue/orange instead of Target Red. If I was them I'd go full neon orange like Alonso's ride. Ed's Fuzzy cars need more green too, this black/white is terrible. The old green/gold was a nice combo and I guess we'll get the neon Go Daddy green back on Danica's car for the 500.
Ouch!! Hahahahahaha!

Danica. <fade to black> Buhbye!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Coolest HR color is San Marino Blue... with Solar Orange a close second. Just saying lol
Old 04-13-2018, 08:18 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So, last couple of days tried to clear my DVR to make sure I have enough room for our regularly recorded shows AND racing these next couple of weekends since we're out of town.

Watched the Pirelli World Challenge TC (touring car) competition from COTA.

Boy, was I wrong a couple weeks ago when I asked "Why doesn't the US have a touring car series?" and the PWC series was pointed out to me. The TC competition was awesome.

Well, of course it was.... Nissan-Nissan-BMW podium finishing order. Excellent! I was a little miffed about how "praiseful" the commentators were about the 3rd place BMW driver who WAS definitely doing a good job trying to pass the #2 Nissan but it was a little over the top how he was clearly rooting big for the Bimmer over the 370Z.

But it's all good, the racing was close, it was technical, it had me sitting on the edge of the sofa. For it to be Nissan 1-2, hey.

Now look forward to future installations of the TC class races on CBS Sports. That Z cars were even racing, let alone winning (on TV) was good enough for me to be hooked!
Old 04-14-2018, 10:02 PM
SPM350Z

Wow....just watching the Chinese F1 pre show and seeing Martin Brundle's grid walk was PAINFUL and made me really really miss Will Buxton. Martin just seems to wander all over the place without any type of aggressiveness to actually talk to anyone...lots of stream of thought talking and sounding just...boring and frankly a bit out of it. And when he did talk to someone it was just the softest of softball questions. Will always had so much ENERGY and filled the entire walk with tons of facts and tidbits that made it so easy to tell how much he knew and understood about whatever track he was at...and the drivers actually seemed to like talking with him. So yeah...missing Will Buxton quite a bit right now.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wow....just watching the Chinese F1 pre show and seeing Martin Brundle's grid walk was PAINFUL and made me really really miss Will Buxton. Martin just seems to wander all over the place without any type of aggressiveness to actually talk to anyone...lots of stream of thought talking and sounding just...boring and frankly a bit out of it. And when he did talk to someone it was just the softest of softball questions. Will always had so much ENERGY and filled the entire walk with tons of facts and tidbits that made it so easy to tell how much he knew and understood about whatever track he was at...and the drivers actually seemed to like talking with him. So yeah...missing Will Buxton quite a bit right now.
Glad I missed it. I felt that way the first time I watched him do that (last week I guess).

I woke up last night to the formation lap... fell back asleep then woke up in the middle, saw that Hamilton wasn't in 1st, fell back asleep with a smile. Finally woke up to a surprising podium award!!

Then I noticed out the window that it's snowing and raining then asked myself, "Where the hell am I?"
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 AM
SPM350Z

Just finished watching(feel asleep last night as well). A HELL of a race and yes...a well deserved but surprising result. Really good stuff.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 AM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that was one of the best F1 races I've seen. But then again I'm partial to the winner. So that may be part of it. But I thought it was great.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM
JMII

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JBJ
I think that was one of the best F1 races I've seen.
The F1 races where its on and off rain are the best... but this one was good because it suddenly became unpredictable due to pit stops during the safety car. After that things went nuts! which was fantastic. Once again Hamilton had communication issues with the guys in the pits, he knew those behind him had executed a better plan.

Overall I still think F1 needs to do something about the passing situation like extending the DRS zones out to 2 or even 3 seconds. Its clear they are suffering from the same problem as before - the aero wash means you can't follow another car.

The Indy car race was great too. Other then domination by Rossi (which you could see coming after qualifying) the rest of the field got mixed up multiple times with several fast cars being forced to fight from the back of the field. My boy RHR and Sebas couldn't catch a break and clearly had the 2nd and 3rd best cars out there.

Side note: my DVR decided not to record the F1 race for reasons unknown but my brother warned me (because his did the same thing). Then when I grabbed the rebroadcast I saw they added the commercials back in
Old 04-21-2018, 05:56 PM
SPM350Z

[QUOTE=JMII;10950322]Same here. Him and Graham really need to start scoring wins. Andretti's team with Rossi and RHR (local guy, lives in Ft Laud) have proven they have the car, but Marco just can't seem to make it work. Every race he's complaining about something handling wise.

Our man Marco qualified 7th for tomorrows race at Barber.... Here's hoping he can turn that into a win....last weeks finish was pretty good and that was on a street course so hopefully Barber offers more opps to pass. Get after it Marco!
Old 04-23-2018, 05:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The Indy car race was great too. Other then domination by Rossi (which you could see coming after qualifying) the rest of the field got mixed up multiple times with several fast cars being forced to fight from the back of the field. My boy RHR and Sebas couldn't catch a break and clearly had the 2nd and 3rd best cars out there.
Out of town last week (and saw only 1 Z all week in Chicago and we were all over town.... guess the snow and rain didn't help....).

Just caught up with Indycar Long Beach. What a great race!

While Rossi was dominant, that last lap(s) duel with Will Power (best name in racing, haha) was excellent. Glad to see a "local boy" do well! (OK, well, Northern California, anyhow. )

But ya, Bourdais earned the "Move of the Race" Award, IMO. Never mind that he had to give the position back to Dixon because he was over the pit line. That was one of the ballsiest moves I've ever seen when he had to go outside-in-needle-thread at the apex to pass. Whew!!

Ed Jones on podium and Veach and Graham (Mr. Courtney Force) ending up Top 5 was pretty amazing especially after Graham got penalized for punting Pagenauld on lap uno.

But back on topic, still think Indycar coverage is better than ESPN's F1 (and I happen to like the racing better as well.) But hey, still have the F1 race(s) to catch up on.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 PM
SPM350Z

Watched todays Indy race this morning...the one delayed from yesterday because of rain. Was interesting to watch and see how rain affected this one too but they did actually finish so yay for that. And someone pretty much dominated so there's that too.

I have to say...and I know this probably isn't a popular opinion....but I REALLY miss the days when Champ car was it's own thing and Indy just raced on ovals. That's why I WATCH Indy...for the oval racing that has speeds between 200 and 220mph and lead changes all through out the race...sometimes as many as 40 or 50 of them! That's what keeps me interested in Indy.
The way the schedule is now is just not that exciting to me....a 17 race season:
6 of them on dedicated sports car tracks....those are ok races for me but, frankly, I'd rather watch F1 races for that...I think F1 tracks are just more well put together as far as technical difficulty goes.

6 Ovals....which I'm all in for and really enjoy watching. The amount of skill it takes to keep those cars on a KNIFES edge is awesome to watch...and the sounds of it all..just incredible. I realize it's also more dangerous but that's the job and it's entertaining as hell to watch.

5 Street Circuits...which I can't stand. It's like watching a line of ants crawling an enclosed track. They are to narrow leading to multiple crashes and yellow flags...and constantly have stupid problems like asphalt or manhole covers that are getting pulled up from the suction of the cars. It really is all about qualifying mostly on those tracks...not much in the way of lead changes unless someone crashes...and very little passing that doesn't lead to a crash. Yeah Mic...I know Bourdais made that killer move but hardly EVER happens on street courses IMO. I know it does happen but hey...it's just not exciting racing at all to me....at least not for Indy. Indy cars are built for speed and are just way to much car for those kind of circuits IMO. So yeah...I'd love to the street circuits go away and be replaced with ovals. Frankly I think they'd get more viewers/fans coming out to the races and watching on TV again if they did.

I also think they have WAY too much time between races at times too....the time between the opener and the 2nd race was a MONTH!...how are you going to keep people interested unless they are hard core fans?

Well that's my cranky old man take on Indy. Get off my lawn!

-Shawn

Last edited by SPM350Z; 04-23-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 TV Coverage