Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

amb transponder mount location

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 01:53 PM
gordonl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amb transponder mount location

Has anyone mounted a hardwired AMB transponder to a (relatively) stock 350Z? Where did you mount it? How difficult was it?

I need to decide between hardwired and portable, and the deciding factor is probably going to be how difficult it is to mount. There's very little space in the engine bay. There's plenty of space behind the bumper, but then I expect the wiring would be tricky.

Alternatively, anyone aware of a shop in Southern Ca that would do this for me for a reasonable fee?

Thanks,
Gordon
Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 AM
phoenixZ33

so is it a transponder with wiring to hardwire it, or a rechargable one? I have mounted one before and I just bolted it to the body/frame under the front bumper. ie. remove the LF wheel and fender liner, then bolt it to the body behind the bumper cover. You can wire it directly to 12V with an on/off switch, or to "Power On" circuit. Should be pretty simple.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:06 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I just zip-tie mine to the grill and remove it when I'm finished. Either way, you want it outside near the front of the car. Otherwise, you can dangle it out the side window and throw it across the finish line if/when needed.

BTW: I have also been able to sit mine in the side door pocket and still get plenty of signal. It depends on the track and the transponder I guess. Just have them test you at the track before you go out...
Old 06-22-2004, 11:21 AM
gordonl

The one I have right now is a permanent mount model with power connectors. The rechargeable ones I've always just taped to my rear plate with racers tape.

As long as I'm just doing time trials, it doesn't matter if it's at the front of the car or the rear. I don't expect to be doing any wheel-to-wheel stuff in my daily driver, but I guess I shouldn't arbitrarily exclude the possibililty.

Seems like I can find a place to mount it -- under the bumper sounds good. Biggest issue now is probably the electrical connection -- that likely means finding a mechanic to do it, one of my New Years resolutions was recognizing my own limitations.

Is there any advantage in adding a dedicated on/off switch, or is it ok just to control it via the ignition?

- Gordon