Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

PR from Homestead-Miami Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PR from Homestead-Miami Speedway

PERFORMANCE NISSAN RACING LUCKY #13 NISSAN 350Z MAKES IT 2 WINS IN A ROW AT THE MIAMI HOMESTEAD 250

September 20, 2004 – Rosamond CA

The lucky #13 Nissan 350Z driven by Anders Hainer and Boris Said battled heat, humidity, rain, and stiff competition to score the second consecutive win for the Performance Nissan Racing team. Mike Cronin Jr. and Stu Hayner followed in fourth place in the #33, and Blake Rosser and Kelly Collins piloted the #23 to a seventh place finish.

“All of our drivers did an amazing job in the race. The conditions in the car were really difficult and every one of them gave 110%. The temperature at the start of the race was 97 degrees with the humidity in the high 90’s so keeping the cars, crew, and drivers functioning, much less winning, was a miracle. I am really proud of what the team accomplished in one very long, difficult day”, said Jackson Stewart, owner of Unitech Racing.

Due to the shortened schedule the grid was set by points instead of qualifying, resulting in the #33 starting 7th, #23 starting 13th, and the #13 starting 22nd. Mike Cronin Jr. started the #33 and had moved up to second when he pitted for fuel on lap 26. The #33 was back to fourth when Mike pitted under green and Stu took over, going 1 lap down. Stu was able to take the #33 from seventh up to fourth and regain his lap by passing Boris in the #13 on the last lap. “Unfortunately we had to pit under the green and then the yellow came out 2 laps later. We got our lap back, but I know we would have had 2nd or 3rd no problem”, said Stu
Hayner.

The #23 350Z started by Blake Rosser picked up an engine gremlin in the early laps. Blake did a great job keeping the car in a reasonable position and in one piece, allowing Kelly Collins to get in on lap 67. Kelly was able to baby the car around to a surprising 7th place finish. “This just shows you what patience and persistence will do. I thought our race was over and we end up in 7th. You just never know”, said Kelly Collins.

Anders Hainer, in his first start for the Performance Nissan Racing
team started the #13 in 22nd position. He made terrific progress, running in
seventh position when he pitted under yellow and handed the #13 over to Boris Said. Boris set off after the leaders and in typical Boris style was in the lead on lap 48. The #13 made its last pit stop on lap 66, taking on fuel and new tires. On lap 77 Boris put the #13 in the lead for good, taking the checkered flag on lap 102. “I had a really great time. Boris made my job easy and getting a win on my first time out with this team is fantastic”, said Hainer.

Heading into the Miami Homestead 250, the team had limited expectations because Homestead is a horsepower track, not a handling track. The Nissan 350Zs strength is handling. Unitech Racing, builders of all the Performance Nissan Racing engines, put a lot of work into the engines during the short break between Mid Ohio and Homestead that clearly paid off with the 1st, 4th, and 7th place finishes on an unfriendly track.

Performance Nissan Racing wishes to thank our technical partners, StopTech, Sakata Motorsport Electronics/Motec, and Truechoice/KONI for their help in achieving this memorable win.

The next race for the Grand Am Cup series is October 1-3 at Virginia International Raceway. Speed Channel will air this race October 17th at 9 am Pacific Time. Please check your local listings for any changes in the schedule and remember to follow the race in real time on Zippo Live Timing and Scoring on the Grand Am website.

For more team information and photos go to
www.performancenissanracing.com
<http://www.performancenissanracing.com/>

Contact Information

Melinda Stewart

Unitech Racing, Inc.

661 256-7870

goteam@performancenissanracing.com
Old 09-21-2004, 04:03 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yay
Old 09-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Michael-Dallas

I sure hope Boris Said is a permanent fixture to the team. With all the different cars he has raced, I wonder what his opinion opinion on the 350z is...

Michael.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Can't talk for Boris, but he is VERY happy with the 350Z and all the work that has gone behind it. I see him running with us through the next season... at the least! These cars have proven themselves well on the track. We have spent soooo much money and time to make sure these cars are competitive and reliable. This is a serious business for Performance Nissan and not just a hobby. We are hoping to build a couple more cars next year as well...... we will see what the future brings.... right now it's all about VIR and another win!!!! Jason and I will be seeing some of you in Virginia next week.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:11 AM
jmark

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Can't talk for Boris, but he is VERY happy with the 350Z and all the work that has gone behind it. I see him running with us through the next season... at the least! These cars have proven themselves well on the track. We have spent soooo much money and time to make sure these cars are competitive and reliable. This is a serious business for Performance Nissan and not just a hobby. We are hoping to build a couple more cars next year as well...... we will see what the future brings.... right now it's all about VIR and another win!!!! Jason and I will be seeing some of you in Virginia next week.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:18 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

you guys gonna be at california speedway in october?
Old 09-23-2004, 04:52 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
you guys gonna be at california speedway in october?
We sure are!!! BJ and his team will also be there. I'm seeing what I can do for the local folks... but no promises yet. I've been soooo busy that I haven't had time to put anything together yet. After the race at california speedway it's off to SEMA for a week. Damn, I need a vacation...