Notices

DIY Parking Brake Handle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acree
Anyone2u - Do you mind posting up more pics of the center console? Or maybe have a gallery...
Here is kind a different shot that shows the console. Are you looking for a shot higher up (ie showing center channel speaker, etc)?

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
Good job Anyone, how does that shifter feel, I love the momos, was the install easy, is it any longer than stock or shorter ?...
I didn't find the install that difficult once I figured out how to get over a couple of hurdles (coming to the conclusion that the leather had to be stripped off of the handbrake and figuring out how to get the new handle down the handbrake far enough so that the button would stick out). Speaking of the button, it doesn't move so the brake's length doesn't change. The handle feels very sturdy and doesn't move around at all, especially with the added screw screwed in the top of the handle.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I was looking for pictures of the actual center console, not the middle console. I guess some people call it the "waterfall" or whatever. Thanks.

-Acree
Old 03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
B-Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job on the ebrake, ill have to use this thread for mine! tehe

-teh b-
Old 04-01-2006, 01:29 PM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by Anyone2u
Here is kind a different shot that shows the console. Are you looking for a shot higher up (ie showing center channel speaker, etc)?

I didn't find the install that difficult once I figured out how to get over a couple of hurdles (coming to the conclusion that the leather had to be stripped off of the handbrake and figuring out how to get the new handle down the handbrake far enough so that the button would stick out). Speaking of the button, it doesn't move so the brake's length doesn't change. The handle feels very sturdy and doesn't move around at all, especially with the added screw screwed in the top of the handle.
I was talking about the Gear shifter. How do you like that? Was the swap easy and fit on the stock thread fine?
Old 04-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally Posted by Acree
Yeah, I was looking for pictures of the actual center console, not the middle console. I guess some people call it the "waterfall" or whatever. Thanks.

-Acree
Here you go. Thought you might like a picture of the center channel speaker setup inside as well. BTW, the media manager (Alpine PXA-H700) is located where the sunglasses holder was.

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
I was talking about the Gear shifter. How do you like that? Was the swap easy and fit on the stock thread fine?
I like the gear shift **** (Momo Combat Evo Red) a lot. Install was a little bit of a PITA due to the stock shifter **** refusing to come off (common for early model 350Zs) but after that it was simple. You just have to make sure you screw the securing screws down hard. Adding a little bit of loctite on them helps too.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really nice looking. Great Job.

-Acree
Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
z350boy
Banned

Originally Posted by G352NV
Just wanted to say thanks for making me get off my butt and do this! Just finished and it looks sweet!

This is a great mod!! I think this will look sweeeet in my UY Z. Just wondering which MOMO e-brake you used.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Volk350Z
Master

ohh wow thanks.. was wondering how it was done..
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
z350boy
Banned

ANYONE2U...

Which handle did you get?? I have been looking at web sites and only see Momo's PIT STOP handles whcih come in thre different colors.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
willthethrill

Hey didn't i see that car in DUB magazine
Old 04-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally Posted by z350boy
ANYONE2U...

Which handle did you get?? I have been looking at web sites and only see Momo's PIT STOP handles whcih come in thre different colors.
Come on don't you like the Pit Stop handles? OK, OK, the one I have on my car is called the "Momo Pit Stop Soft Touch" and is only available outside of the US. Here's a link:PPSonline.com

Originally Posted by willthethrill
Hey didn't i see that car in DUB magazine
Well, you really are quite an observant reader now aren't you? Ahem, yes that was my car has in DUB magazine.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
z350boy
Banned

Come on don't you like the Pit Stop handles? OK, OK, the one I have on my car is called the "Momo Pit Stop Soft Touch" and is only available outside of the US. Here's a link:PPSonline.com

Well, you really are quite an observant reader now aren't you? Ahem, yes that was my car has in DUB magazine.

Thanks for the link. I am DEFINATELY doing this mod in my UY '05. Big decision is do I go with a body colr boot and black handle or do I go with a black boot and the Pit Stop handle w/ yellow accent. My shift boot matches the UY body color and I have the black Nismo shift handle. What do you think??
Old 04-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally Posted by z350boy
Thanks for the link. I am DEFINATELY doing this mod in my UY '05. Big decision is do I go with a body colr boot and black handle or do I go with a black boot and the Pit Stop handle w/ yellow accent. My shift boot matches the UY body color and I have the black Nismo shift handle. What do you think??
Personally I would try and keep both boots the same color and try to match the Ebrake handle with something close to Nismo Shifter.

I don't know what color seats you have but if they were black and you were starting from scratch, I would consider going with the black boots with yellow thread or pipping and the following shifter/ebrake combo (picture below). Again just my opinion.

BTW I don't know if you saw it but we are holding our annual Cape Cod Meet on May13th (go to www.capemeet.com for more information). I saw that you are from NY so you should consider showing up as it is always a good time and there should be quite a few NYers coming as well. Plus one of the prizes being raffled off is a custom shifter and brake boot combo (any color combo, style, etc) from Redline Goods!

Old 04-05-2006, 01:07 PM
davidgmil

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/mopitstebboa.html

i wanna get this e-brake boot but what size do i need?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
G352NV

You'll need the med.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Parking Brake Handle replacement-picture-2007.jpg  
Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 PM
davidgmil

Originally Posted by G352NV
You'll need the med.

thanks!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
rich harris

WoW!!!!! THX a Bunch!!!!!!! I finally got mine to fit right....THX great job on the instructions.....
Old 04-10-2006, 04:33 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OK well here's my experience with this DIY..

My few extra hints to Roger's excellent tutorial:

Here's the **** I chose.. Momo Carbon Fiber Pit Stop ebrake Handle w/Redline Goods eBrake Boot (the boot was a problem.. read on)

I didn't quite have to do the major surgery that Roger did in his pics.. I found that if you just slit the stock handbrake leather cover down one seam as far as you can go, then carefully peel it from the handbake underneath, you could free it enough to simply pull it all out in one piece.. making this mod fairly reversable so far:

I then slid the A2 adapter on.. and put some Vasoline all around this rubber adapter so the ebrake handle slid right on easy.. (otherwise it's very tight and you may struggle with it and need a rubber mallet).. my car looks pretty phallic, eh?

I also noticed that if I were to simply expand the suggested 5/8" cut on the Momo handle to ~7/8", I wouldn't have to hack up the plastic interior piece on the base of the ebrake like Roger did.. making this mod very reversable:

here's a shot of the handle as it sits without the boot and not screwed down..

OK now for the redlinegoods boot. Apparently, it was made for the stock 350Z handle.. Which is much thinner in diameter than the momo handle.. one of those DOH! moments... never thought of that...

Roger.. how did yours fit so nice? custom made??? unfortunately, I ended up cutting about 1/4 inch off the end of the redlinegoods ebrake boot and had to slit it a little on the underside too... now it fits..

it was also rather hard to put in that screw on the passenger side!!! it didn't want to line up... man what a PITA it was to get the boot on. There was a lot of swearing and dropped screws. The whole first half of the install was a breeze until it came time to attach the boot.. You couldn't pay me enough to do another LOL

here's the final product..ebrake up from passenger side

ebrake down from driver side

-- mike
Old 04-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Thanks for the revisions Mike. Good thinking about the 7/8 cutout. We both know that we'll never be able to get our cars back to anything close to stock at this point but I guess someone may want to try and reverse it!
Originally Posted by leemik
...Roger.. how did yours fit so nice? custom made??? unfortunately, I ended up cutting about 1/4 inch off the end of the redlinegoods ebrake boot and had to slit it a little on the underside too... now it fits.
I'm not sure if you tried to install the boot after the handle was on the handbrake and then slid it down over the handle? I actually attached the boot to the handle inside my house (took a little bit of effort but finally made it) and then folded the boot "forward" over the handle while I attached the handle to the handbrake (see step 4 picture). Once I screwed everything down, I then folded the boot back over and stuffed it down through the rubber piece.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:07 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if you tried to install the boot after the handle was on the handbrake and then slid it down over the handle? I actually attached the boot to the handle inside my house (took a little bit of effort but finally made it) and then folded the boot "forward" over the handle while I attached the handle to the handbrake (see step 4 picture). Once I screwed everything down, I then folded the boot back over and stuffed it down through the rubber piece.
hmmm attaching the boot in the house and not in the car would probably have been an easier thing to do !

I looked at the boot opening.. looked at the thickness of the Momo handle and just assumed right away that there's no way this is fitting!! i tried it both ways and gave up quickly because the scissors were sitting right next to me it all worked out ok in the end though i could have probably saved myself a lot of aggravation..

Quick Reply: DIY Parking Brake Handle replacement