Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

rear suspension clunking getting louder.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 AM
speedform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear suspension clunking getting louder.

I think there maybe something seriously wrong with my passenger side rear suspension but I can't remove the trunk mounted interior panels to have a look. Any ideas on how to remove them?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 10:05 AM
konspec

Default Re: rear suspension clunking getting louder.

Originally posted by speedform
I think there maybe something seriously wrong with my passenger side rear suspension but I can't remove the trunk mounted interior panels to have a look. Any ideas on how to remove them?
Thanks
What part of the trunk are you tring to get to? regaurdless you can't see anything. this problem has been hashed quite a bit from people with coilovers. Search or reply\
Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Just so you know, my entire rear assembly has come loose. You can move the entire thing by grabbing the wheel and pushing it back and forth. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out. I believe it to be a bad IRS bushing or bolt that is now missing. It's really bad under heavy acceration...
Old 01-22-2005, 09:55 PM
speedform

YIKES! That sounds frightening...
I'm taking the car to my mechanic tomorrow to have it looked at (don't trust the dealer). I've torn the lower assembly apart and can't find anything but hopefully a trained pro might have a better understanding of the problem.
Let us know how you repairs go. cheers,

Originally posted by ADMAN
Just so you know, my entire rear assembly has come loose. You can move the entire thing by grabbing the wheel and pushing it back and forth. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out. I believe it to be a bad IRS bushing or bolt that is now missing. It's really bad under heavy acceration...
Old 03-04-2005, 04:40 PM
mzack

There is a technical service for this. I had mine fixed already by the dealership. Its free.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:43 PM
mzack

They have to rebuild the lower unit. It will take about 6 hours. Nissan is well aware and is paying for this. Do not go anywhere else but a dealer. Inform them that there is a TSB on the issue and they will be paid by Nissan.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:53 PM
speedform

Originally posted by mzack
They have to rebuild the lower unit. It will take about 6 hours. Nissan is well aware and is paying for this. Do not go anywhere else but a dealer. Inform them that there is a TSB on the issue and they will be paid by Nissan.
Lower unit of what? The shock itself or one of the suspension links? If your speaking of the shock (and I don't think you are) I'm not running the stock setup.
Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if this is a serious safety risk or just an annoying one? Thanks mzack!
Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 AM
ColecatZ

I had the clicking issue fixed with my rear axles and accelerating, but are ya'll talking about something else?

I do have a clunking noise in the rear passenger side that occurs when I go over a small bumps and what not. It almost like something in the suspension is rattling, but I don't know what it would be. I'm also running coliovers. It started quiet and seems to have gotten louder.

Does this sound familiar
Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 AM
speedform

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I had the clicking issue fixed with my rear axles and accelerating, but are ya'll talking about something else?

I do have a clunking noise in the rear passenger side that occurs when I go over a small bumps and what not. It almost like something in the suspension is rattling, but I don't know what it would be. I'm also running coliovers. It started quiet and seems to have gotten louder.

Does this sound familiar
Sounds very familiar. Originally there was a noise coming from the aftermarket sways but a little bushing grease cured that. That's when I noticed the secondary clunking from another source. If you have aftermarket swaybars, first check to see if you need to regrease the bushings. After that, take it to the dealer. I'm going in this week.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
NismoGCoupe

I kind of had the same problem the passanger rear was making a clunking noise, I had it checked a few times and was told by 3 people there was nothing wrong with the actual strut or the way they were installed but what I noticed it only happens on really bumpy roads and only when it is cold out 30 degrees or below when its warm out I dont hear a sound coming from the rear, its weird I have no clue what it can be
Old 03-07-2005, 09:27 AM
NismoGCoupe

what setup do you have?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
speedform

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
what setup do you have?
HKS Hypermax II's and Eibach sways. It makes noise no matter what size the bump or what temperature it is. From what's been posted I'm starting to believe it's a subframe issue, not the shock itself. Hopefully I can get it in to the dealer for a diagnosis. (although once they see the coilovers, they may decide to blame them and not touch a thing) We'll see.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
tractng

Speed,

Please keep us posted.

Btw, which dealer are you going?

Tony
Old 03-07-2005, 03:41 PM
speedform

Originally posted by tractng
Speed,

Please keep us posted.

Btw, which dealer are you going?

Tony
Cerritos Nissan. They're kind of hit and miss but so far haven't said anything about my mods. I wish I lived closer to Performance Nissan!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:47 PM
froggy

I had a clunking noise too,like yours,rear side passenger,sounded as if it came from suspension but it was in fact the bar across the trunk which was loosened,double-sided tape under the z bar fixed it
Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Cyp

Originally Posted by speedform
HKS Hypermax II's and Eibach sways. It makes noise no matter what size the bump or what temperature it is. From what's been posted I'm starting to believe it's a subframe issue, not the shock itself. Hopefully I can get it in to the dealer for a diagnosis. (although once they see the coilovers, they may decide to blame them and not touch a thing) We'll see.
did you ever find a solution to your noise? I have this same problem with my tein basics.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 AM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same problem with my BC coilovers.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Cyp

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...08#post2453608

Solution is on post #7 by Z talker which I quote.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:30 PM
bleunetizen

wrong link?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:24 PM
bleunetizen

Default found it..

Found it from other thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
i'd leave the car with the tech overnight and have them figure it out. Back in 03 i had to leave my Z with them multiple time to figure out where a clicking/tapping noise was coming from in the rear end. They pinpointed the location after they placed a smaller technician(not the trunk monkey) in the trunk to ride along. It was the left rear suspension strut hitting the strut tower due to poor fitment. They fixed it with a shim.
Wow!!! Thank you Ztalker. I went ahead and installed washers over the bolts and the loud clincking noise is gone. WOOHOOO!! I went an extra step. Went to home depot and got a small roll of this soft plastic sheet that is used under floors. Cost me five bucks. Cut it to shape, a tad bigger, and placed it on the base mount. The extra length wraps around the edges so that the edges don't come into contact with the wheel well. Now I have no more loud clicking over major bumps, and no more light continuous clicking noises. All noises have ceased. I love my car again!!
I might try some spring washers and see if it shuts it up..

Quick Reply: rear suspension clunking getting louder.