Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Opinions/Info on Konig Trouble wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:37 PM
oaktown2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions/Info on Konig Trouble wheel

I really like the look of the gunmetal ones for my '04 SS Z....but am curious as to why they are so cheap. Are they poorly made? Really heavy? Just a crap wheel? Or just a great deal?

Old 03-26-2005, 03:00 PM
joust75

Originally Posted by oaktown2000
I really like the look of the gunmetal ones for my '04 SS Z....but am curious as to why they are so cheap. Are they poorly made? Really heavy? Just a crap wheel? Or just a great deal?

Really heavy and weak. I owned some Konigs before. Broke two of them on baby potholes.
I learned my lesson. I have 19" Te37s now. I have hit all sorts of large pot holes and Dont have a scratch.

Save your money a bit longer and get a quality wheel.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:43 AM
oaktown2000

Originally Posted by joust75
Really heavy and weak. I owned some Konigs before. Broke two of them on baby potholes.
I learned my lesson. I have 19" Te37s now. I have hit all sorts of large pot holes and Dont have a scratch.

Save your money a bit longer and get a quality wheel.
Thanks......do you know of any quality manufacturer that has a wheel very similar in style??? I really like the look of the 5 spoke with the chrome in the middle surrounded by the gunmetal grey.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:44 AM
ajk4

Thanks......do you know of any quality manufacturer that has a wheel very similar in style??? I really like the look of the 5 spoke with the chrome in the middle surrounded by the gunmetal grey.
http://axiswheels.com/crux.html
Old 03-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Axis and Konig are the same in terms of overall quality and weight...but Konig is ALOT less costly to replace should the need arise
Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 PM
synth19

no way, you can not put axis and konig in the same category. Axis is a MUCH better quality wheel then Konig. I would never recommend konig to anyone, although I do think Axis makes some affordable quality wheels.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Axis and Konig are the same in terms of overall quality and weight...but Konig is ALOT less costly to replace should the need arise
Old 03-27-2005, 01:51 PM
oaktown2000

Thanks for the replies. I didn't see anything similar to that gunmetal/chrome combo at Axis. Oh well....the search continues.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

synth - if you only knew how this industry worked......quality wise they are on precisely the same level. Both are made overseas in east asia, both made their mark in many ways by making low cost replicas of higher priced wheels, both have high points and low points about them
Old 03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Strife350z

z1... i have to disagree... I don't see how you can make a blanketing statement like that

of the most recent axis releases, only one is a replica of a "high end" design (reverb and tc2)

as for quality... that's subjective unless you have hard physical evidence (composition/chemical analysis). I've heard of and seen plenty of bent konig wheels in my area, but rarely any bent axis wheels. Axis is also more expensive than Konig; simply saying that they are made in the same place (east asia) doesn't tell me anything.

Please share your thoughts.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 PM
synth19

This is exactly where I'm coming from. I agree 100%

Originally Posted by Strife350z
z1... i have to disagree... I don't see how you can make a blanketing statement like that

of the most recent axis releases, only one is a replica of a "high end" design (reverb and tc2)

as for quality... that's subjective unless you have hard physical evidence (composition/chemical analysis). I've heard of and seen plenty of bent konig wheels in my area, but rarely any bent axis wheels. Axis is also more expensive than Konig; simply saying that they are made in the same place (east asia) doesn't tell me anything.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
oaktown2000

If I decided to just get those Konigs...would I be sorry??? I mean...are they gonna bend if I go over a speed bump. I really think they would look great on my SS Z and cannot find anything that looks the same way. And I really don't want to go and get Volks (seems every other Z is getting them). Take in mind, I'm not into the street racing or drag racing or track racing. It is just my daily driver that every now and then I'll open her up on I-95.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:19 PM
synth19

honestly, I've seen way too many damaged konig's. I really think the quality is crap. I would rather save up and purchase better wheels. You won't regret it in the end. As for volks, seems like everyone online has them....but how often do you see them in "real life?" hardly ever over here... there are other good wheels other then volk as well...
Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 PM
oaktown2000

Thanks for your opinions on them.......is there any other wheel that looks like this? I have looked around but haven't seen anything.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 AM
joust75

Originally Posted by Strife350z

Axis and Konig = same quality. Both appear to be made well but both are heavy and not as strong as a forged wheel.
Honestly if you are buying a cast wheel anyway , you might as well buy the Konigs. They will probably be not much weaker than the best cast wheel out there.

I reccomend Enkeis. They make relatively inexpensive forged wheels. really good prices.

BTW Strife, Axis is not more expensive than Konig because they offer a better wheel. They are a smaller company than Konig and therefore have to charge higher prices. Their price is also part of their product positioning stratagy. Youll notice Axis is targeted at a higher end crowd. (ever see their ferrari?)

Believe me, you put both under a 10000 lb hydraulic press and they will both bend within seconds of eachother
Old 03-28-2005, 06:24 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also concur that Axis and Konig are both of the same quality. I would probably put Enkei a step above them especially with their newer upper class racing wheels. I have owned a set of Konigs before and had no major issues. I also helped install a set of Axis Hiros and was not impressed with the paint job on the rims. There were runs and you could notice where they didn't spray the paint as thick. It was the same thing with my Konigs, however. Now this is on parts of the wheel that aren't very noticeable and most people wouldn't care, but I noticed it. I have also owned a set of Enkeis, and I don't remember any paint issues with those wheels.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 AM
oaktown2000

Originally Posted by King Tut
I also concur that Axis and Konig are both of the same quality. I would probably put Enkei a step above them especially with their newer upper class racing wheels. I have owned a set of Konigs before and had no major issues. I also helped install a set of Axis Hiros and was not impressed with the paint job on the rims. There were runs and you could notice where they didn't spray the paint as thick. It was the same thing with my Konigs, however. Now this is on parts of the wheel that aren't very noticeable and most people wouldn't care, but I noticed it. I have also owned a set of Enkeis, and I don't remember any paint issues with those wheels.
Would you buy Konigs again if they made a wheel that you really liked the look of?????
Old 03-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Enkei's are not forged...well, most of them anyway. But they do use a casting technique similar to SSR, and identical to Advan (which are cast as well - Enkei makes Advans).

So, Axis are more expensive.........since when does price dictate quality? Bottom line, is that if the wheel is not subject to overly harsh conditions, it will last as long as the rest of the car does. Just because you spent more on a wheel does not mean it is immune to bending or even less likely to bend. I had a set of $3000 Speelines on my Subaru, hit a pothole and bent a pizza shaped wedge into one. Was I pissed? Yeah a bit.....could I have expected any less? Not really - this was a crater sized pothole I hit on a back road (no lighting and it was after midnight), and I hit it sqaurely at 50 mph (amazingly no tire damage!).

I've owned countless sets of Volks too - some have bent, some have not. Bottom line is if you are careful with the wheel and how you treat it, they should last just fine. I have also had to order single Volk wheels for customers who bent theirs (Te37, LE37, CE28). Typically the cause was running a tire with a miniscule sidewall (ie 215/40/18) and hitting a pothole or curb)

Are they going to bend over a speed bump - not if you

1. dont hit that speed bump at 30 mph and
2. use the right size tire, properly inflated (the most important factory that many people never take into consideration)

Maybe Axis's latest offerings are not pure replicas.......the company was built on this premis though. Lot's of wheel companies are, not just them.

Adam
Old 03-28-2005, 06:59 AM
King Tut

Would you buy Konigs again if they made a wheel that you really liked the look of?????
They would have to really change directions before I would buy a wheel from them for my Z. They make wheels for FWD cars in general, and that is why I put a set of Konig Traffiks on my Civic hatch, and a set of Volks on my Z.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 AM
oaktown2000

Thanks guys for the opinions and info.

I certainly don't want a "cheap" wheel placed onto my Z.....but there is just something about the look of those wheels that I think would go perfect on a Silverstone Z.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:09 AM
King Tut

I've seen them in person on a LeMans Z and they do look good, so if you like them go for it. They clear the 13" 4 wheel Stoptech kit as well:

Quick Reply: Opinions/Info on Konig Trouble wheel