Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brembo Brakes PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 09:55 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only autoX'd so far, so I haven't noticed fade yet, but I know that on the track I will (I don't have the Track Brembo's - if I did, I wouldn't bother upgrading).

However, my biggest problem with the non-track brakes (and I'm a little ashamed to admit it), is that they look lost in the damn 18" rims. Therefore, when it come time for my first brake job, out go the stock fronts and in go the Stoptech's, Brembo's, or similar. At this point I'm thinking Stopthech's since they are fairly inexpensive, but I'm still researching.

I do which that Stoptech had a silver caliper option, since right now it's only red or black.

-D'oh!
Old 12-07-2002, 10:02 PM
valuetl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man those Brembo's look so nice. However, for the price plus being 4 pot. I'd go with the 6 pot Endless setup.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Phatmitzu

oh wow..SWEET!!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:01 AM
350on19inchVolk

Just a couple corrections front the previous post.

1) The 13.1" kit will fit with both 17" and 18" stock wheels. The 14" kit will fit the 18" track wheels. No Spacers are need for either kit.

2) Someone mentioned that the Brembo Gran Turismo brakes are heavier. WRONG. The 13.1" is 2.3lbs lighter than the Track Model and the 14" is still 1/2 lb. lighter as well.
Just to give you an idea of what this weight savings means:

Unsprung weight is equal to three times actual weight.
2.3lbs X 3 = 6.9lbs less weight per side
Rotational weight is equal to seven times actual weight.
2.3lbs X 7 = 16.1lbs less weight per side.

Brembo FAQ about weight saving

3) I've seen a few people compare the Stoptech kit to the Brembo kit and favor the Stoptech because of price. Bottom line, Stoptech is an imitation kit, if you going to base an imitation on an existing product why not copies the best. If you do copy the best you are bound to get something right. Stoptech is a good brake system, but IMO although less expensive than Brembo, still hugely overpriced.
If you wanted to buy a Volk, BBS, or HRE Wheel you are paying for quality. If you decided you just wanted the look and chose to buy the imitation Volk, BBS, or HRE you would be paying less than half the cost of the original.
Example: Brembo 14" kit = $3295 Stoptech 14" is $2595
13.1" Kit = $2995 Stoptech 13.1" is $1995
WHY Pay Soo much for a Taiwanese imitation.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:14 AM
John

If you really want to go all out, check out the ATS carbon brakes... only 5300 for the front rotors and pads... http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-product...n-brakes.shtml
Old 03-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Audito350Z

Originally posted by D'oh
I've only autoX'd so far, so I haven't noticed fade yet, but I know that on the track I will (I don't have the Track Brembo's - if I did, I wouldn't bother upgrading).

However, my biggest problem with the non-track brakes (and I'm a little ashamed to admit it), is that they look lost in the damn 18" rims. Therefore, when it come time for my first brake job, out go the stock fronts and in go the Stoptech's, Brembo's, or similar. At this point I'm thinking Stopthech's since they are fairly inexpensive, but I'm still researching.
I've used Stoptechs on my Audi A4 at the track for about 10 track events. I typiccally run Porterfield R4 pads in the Stoptechs and Porterfield R4-S in th eOEM rear. Very good balance, easy to modulate and never, ever faded.

I've been to one track event with the Z. I put Carbotech Panther
Plus in the front Brembo and Carbotech Panther in the rear Brembo. Absolutely no fade, not overheating.

Having used the Stoptechs for so long, I had certain expectations of the Brembos. That is, I did nto expect them to perform as well as Stoptech. But, I can't say that I noticed any difference in performance between OEM Z Brembos and the Stoptechs on my Audi A4.

For the price.... Stoptechs are the way to go.

Originally posted by D'oh

I do which that Stoptech had a silver caliper option, since right now it's only red or black.

-D'oh!
Yes... Stoptech has a Silver caliper option now. It's a special order and cost's a few bucks more.

PeteH
Old 03-13-2003, 07:19 PM
dvlad

looks good!

Those are the same as the Track model. Just different Color.

Wow....3200+ just for the front. Thats alot. i purchase the track models 4 wheel kit for 2400.

But, man that looks sexy. Here's mine.

dan
Attached Thumbnails Brembo Brakes PHOTOS-dsc00149.jpg  
Old 03-13-2003, 07:34 PM
all_bark

Default Black Stoptech's

save yourself the 12-1400!
Attached Thumbnails Brembo Brakes PHOTOS-sttchs.jpg  
Old 03-13-2003, 07:43 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by VQracer
The pictures you posted are showing 8-pot calipers?
Brembo doesnt make an 8 pot caliper, or a six pot for that matter. But this does appear to be their F-40 caliper(larger 4 pot) as compared to the Their Lotus caliper(small 4 pot) that come on the track model
Old 03-13-2003, 09:13 PM
nosuchsol

Originally posted by VQracer
Awwwww come on, look at him, he looks like a hardcore roadracer.
Those are driving loafers he has on. =) It's in the details guys.

Also, someone mentioned how 15" rotors would really do to the car... my main area of concern would be the need to find a kit that has the proper brake bias... you could just slap any old rotor/caliper combo and expect it to be heaps better.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:54 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by 350on19inchVolk
Just a couple corrections front the previous post.

1) The 13.1" kit will fit with both 17" and 18" stock wheels. The 14" kit will fit the 18" track wheels. No Spacers are need for either kit.

2) Someone mentioned that the Brembo Gran Turismo brakes are heavier. WRONG. The 13.1" is 2.3lbs lighter than the Track Model and the 14" is still 1/2 lb. lighter as well.
Just to give you an idea of what this weight savings means:

Unsprung weight is equal to three times actual weight.
2.3lbs X 3 = 6.9lbs less weight per side
Rotational weight is equal to seven times actual weight.
2.3lbs X 7 = 16.1lbs less weight per side.

Brembo FAQ about weight saving

3) I've seen a few people compare the Stoptech kit to the Brembo kit and favor the Stoptech because of price. Bottom line, Stoptech is an imitation kit, if you going to base an imitation on an existing product why not copies the best. If you do copy the best you are bound to get something right. Stoptech is a good brake system, but IMO although less expensive than Brembo, still hugely overpriced.
If you wanted to buy a Volk, BBS, or HRE Wheel you are paying for quality. If you decided you just wanted the look and chose to buy the imitation Volk, BBS, or HRE you would be paying less than half the cost of the original.
Example: Brembo 14" kit = $3295 Stoptech 14" is $2595
13.1" Kit = $2995 Stoptech 13.1" is $1995
WHY Pay Soo much for a Taiwanese imitation.

Interesting point of view.

Brembo's are great, but why pay so much for a big name?

Brembo may have the big name, but Stoptech definitely has similar performance. I wouldn't call them an "imitation" but rather a true competitor who is currently matching Brembo in performance and beating them on price. I mean, if you want to talk about cheap imitation, you may as well talk about how the Z is a cheap imitation of a Porsche. However, look how many people love the Z (and how well it compares to a Porsche in performance).

Also, not that it matters much, but Stoptech is a US company, at least from everything I've seen.

Anyway, that's why I currently prefer the Stoptech over the Brembo (especially now that Stoptech also has the silver color - Thanks Audito350Z - by the way, I finally get your handle now that I realize you have an Audi and a Z).

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 03-13-2003 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:01 AM
jak

Originally posted by dvlad
looks good!

Those are the same as the Track model. Just different Color.

Wow....3200+ just for the front. Thats alot. i purchase the track models 4 wheel kit for 2400.

But, man that looks sexy. Here's mine.

dan
Where did you get the stock Brembo kit? I called the dealer and they said they weren't available as a parts order?

Thanks for the info.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2003, 09:13 AM
350on19inchVolk

Originally posted by krinkov
Brembo doesnt make an 8 pot caliper, or a six pot for that matter.
[IMG]8-Piston[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Brembo Brakes PHOTOS-please-work.gif  
Old 03-14-2003, 09:16 AM
350on19inchVolk

The above photo is a Brembo 8-Piston 15" Brake set up.
Brembo had this brake kit on their SEMA car. I dont think it is actually available to the public yet but it does exist.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:41 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by 350on19inchVolk
The above photo is a Brembo 8-Piston 15" Brake set up.
Brembo had this brake kit on their SEMA car. I dont think it is actually available to the public yet but it does exist.
Whoa!

Still, any brembo caliper your gonna get for the Z is either the 4 pot Lotus or the 4 pot F-40 caliper. In all Honesty, the F40 is the most caliper your ever going to need on a Z no matter what you plan to do with it, anything more is just vanity
Old 03-15-2003, 05:40 PM
dvlad

Originally posted by jak
Where did you get the stock Brembo kit? I called the dealer and they said they weren't available as a parts order?

Thanks for the info.

Jeff
bought them from a G35 Coupe owner. The front's went on easy. The rears i had to ordered the larger back plate and bolts which mount the caliper to the suspension.

dan
Attached Thumbnails Brembo Brakes PHOTOS-running-in-rain-copy.jpg  
Old 03-15-2003, 05:45 PM
jak

Originally posted by dvlad
bought them from a G35 Coupe owner. The front's went on easy. The rears i had to ordered the larger back plate and bolts which mount the caliper to the suspension.

dan
Thanks. Do you know any other G35 owners? The way you did your set up for the price is the way I would like to go.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2003, 03:43 PM
OvaYahead

Default sweet

can I get those cross drilled /slotted rotors for the stock brembo callipers? if so got any links?
Old 03-26-2003, 03:48 PM
bmcnic

Did this guy decide to sell his car? when i drove passed smithtown today i noticed it sitting in the front of the lot without plates. If you are selling it how much do you think a slightly used z would go for?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:15 AM
HREWheelMaker

Bottom line, Stoptech is an imitation kit
This is absolutely false. StopTech is in Lomita, California- I have been to their facility, and I can tell you these guys are legit. Steve Ruiz is the main engineering guy there, and he has more knowledge of braking systems in his thumb than most people on this board have in their skull.

We ran the 13" StopTech kit on our SEMA 350Z, and I was VERY impressed by its' performance. Their 13" kit has more braking performance than 99% of the general public will ever need. In fact, in a recent review, StopTech BEAT the Brembo system in performance.

Don't get me wrong- I love Brembo's products, and I have a few freinds there... I just won't stand to see StopTech's name dragged through the mud, or, worse, their reputation tarnished due to mis-information and ignorance.

My $.02

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes PHOTOS