Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo s-tune suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Hedotwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo s-tune suspension questions

I've made the decision to go with the silver LMGT4 18" Nismo wheels along with Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/40 fronts and 275/40 rears. I'd also like to install the Nismo S-Tune shocks/coils to drop it a bit from stock (I believe 20mm lower). I'd like to hear from any of you with a similar setup as to what I can expect for ground clearance. I'm not expecting SUV-like clearance, but I'd also rather not be paranoid when it comes to driveways and speed bumps. I might add that I don't have any experience with the stock Z suspension as I'm a month away from taking delivery of our order out 06' IF Touring coupe.

I'd also like to know what else would be involved with adding the S-Tune suspension. Would it need an alignment afterwards? I was quoted $112 by the dealer to install the shocks/coils and I was just wondering if the install is something I can do myself with normal tools? I'm quite comfortable with modding, but was wondering if I'd need anything special to install this kit.

Thanks alot for the help

Rich
Old 02-16-2006, 08:23 AM
jran76

No special tools are required (i.e spring compressor, etc.). The rear takes about 15 minutes, and the front a couple of hours. The Z is probably one of the easiest cars to install suspension components. When I got my Z 3 1/2 years ago I had done very little work on cars, and I had no problems. The factory service manual will help out (torque specs, etc.).

You should have plenty of clearance, I had no problems with my setup until I added a Top Secret front diffuser, which sits really low. I now have the kit on my G35 sedan and rarely, if ever, scrape (and the front sits as low, if not lower, than the stock bodied Z).

It would be a good idea to get an alignment afterwards, I would even say it is required.

I hope this helps....
Old 02-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Z CRUZN

Definite alignment after suspension install! As for clearance, the Nismo will drop your Z about 3/4" total after it settles in (about a 60 days or so) - no real danger there as far as clearance goes. As jran76 mentioned...no worries until you have a front lip...then all bets are off - ha!

BTW, $112 isn't too bad for an install charge if you don't want to do it yourself - have them install and align at the same time. I would also recommend alignment again after the suspension settles in - worth the price in exchange for peace-of-mind that you might get a few more miles out of your front tires.

You'll love the new handling feel after the Nismo is installed - perfect for the streets!!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Hedotwo

Originally Posted by jran76
No special tools are required (i.e spring compressor, etc.). The rear takes about 15 minutes, and the front a couple of hours. The Z is probably one of the easiest cars to install suspension components. When I got my Z 3 1/2 years ago I had done very little work on cars, and I had no problems. The factory service manual will help out (torque specs, etc.).

You should have plenty of clearance, I had no problems with my setup until I added a Top Secret front diffuser, which sits really low. I now have the kit on my G35 sedan and rarely, if ever, scrape (and the front sits as low, if not lower, than the stock bodied Z).

It would be a good idea to get an alignment afterwards, I would even say it is required.

I hope this helps....
Kind of what I was hoping to hear. I really like the moderate drop the Nismo s-tune appears to give while not being too drastic. I've also been encouraged by the messages here that say the ride will improve somewhat over stock, in addition to better handling.

I've already bought my Nismo catback exhaust and plan on doing it myself with my jacks and ramps. No problem doing the suspension with jacks and ramps?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
jran76

Nope, you will need a good set of jack stands also.

If you want, send me a PM with your email and I will send you that section of the service manual (it is for a 03 though). I am out of the country now, but I can send it to you in the next week, or so.

Also, if you are doing sway bars (highly recommend), it will be a lot easier to drop the exhaust to install the rear sway bar, so you might want to do it all at once.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Hedotwo

Originally Posted by Z CRUZN
Definite alignment after suspension install! As for clearance, the Nismo will drop your Z about 3/4" total after it settles in (about a 60 days or so) - no real danger there as far as clearance goes. As jran76 mentioned...no worries until you have a front lip...then all bets are off - ha!

BTW, $112 isn't too bad for an install charge if you don't want to do it yourself - have them install and align at the same time. I would also recommend alignment again after the suspension settles in - worth the price in exchange for peace-of-mind that you might get a few more miles out of your front tires.

You'll love the new handling feel after the Nismo is installed - perfect for the streets!!
Thanks . I have a month or so to decide whether or not I want to do the suspension install myself or have the dealer do it. You're right though, $112 doesn't seem too bad for them to do it. Encouraging to hear another say that ground clearance should be fine. I'll worry less when my wife has the Z out

Rich
Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Hedotwo

Originally Posted by jran76
Nope, you will need a good set of jack stands also.

If you want, send me a PM with your email and I will send you that section of the service manual (it is for a 03 though). I am out of the country now, but I can send it to you in the next week, or so.

Also, if you are doing sway bars (highly recommend), it will be a lot easier to drop the exhaust to install the rear sway bar, so you might want to do it all at once.
PM sent. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
BlueBlur

I have the same setup but different tires & it was not hard at all you could do it...a jack & some jack stands & it is a day with some beer drinking & a lunch break!!